Honored Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

@catter70 wrote:

I never understood the reasoning behind facebook. 

whats not to understand?

it is a great way to keep in touch with family and friends around the world......and it is FREE.

it is a great way for business owners to advertise and promote their business for FREE.

Facebook ads are not free.

yes, they are.....you can gain followers and promote your own pages and businesses. it costs us nothing to engage current and potential customers. you dont have to pay facebook to advertise your business.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

The people in both the towns I follow promote business, either there own or other ones in town that they like.

Respected Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

I'll never get rid of my FB account.

I use it to keep in touch with my high school friends, with family members, plus, I am a member of several on-line groups, and I am a member of several tv show groups.

It's fun, it's FREE, and maybe most importantly of all, I'm not afraid of the "boogieman" lurking around the corner.

All of these "scare tatics" that "Ooooooh! They collect data on you!!! Be afraid, be very, very afraid!!!!", I say, "Pfft!"

Data is collected on us ALL. THE. TIME.

When you use your store loyalty card, they are keeping track on what you buy, how often you buy it, and what you spend.

Same thing with credit cards.

Yeah, you might have the card to rack up airline miles, or whatever, but make no mistake that they are tracking what you buy, how often you buy it, and how much you spend, and when and where you spend.

Why should FB be any different?

And yet people happily hand over their store loyality card, or credit card, without even blinking an eye and with no concern whatsoever about being tracked.

And guess where all that information goes.

That's right!

It goes in to a big 'ol database.

Yet, somehow FB is the "bad guy"?

Once again, I say, "Pfffft!"

Very well said, @Anonymous032819 .

Honored Contributor

Re: Delete Facebook

[ Edited ]

What I'm saying is that all that extremely personal info is tracked and ultimately available to criminals and people with values the exact opposite of yours. Weapons and valuables in the home are tracked. Controversial social views are tracked. Controlled substance prescriptions in the home are tracked. People with likely depression and addiction issues are tracked. Sensitive business information revealed inadvertantly is gathered and available to competitiors. For criminals and hackers and investigators and employers and admissions staff and lawyers to use to target you and/or your business. None of this info is secure and safe at Facebook. If you don't care, good luck to you.

Edited to add: I'm not going to keep going back and forth about this. I personally do my best to keep my family's info secure. Just like I lock my front door.

If I never locked my house or car, probably nothing bad would happen because of it. That doesn't stop me from locking up, because that is the bare minimum to keep my loved ones and possessions safe.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

And you think that all of our personal information is safe at all the other sites?

I guess you haven't heard about all the security breeches that have been going on.

Newsflash!

You don't have to be on FB to be "tracked".

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

Newsflash!

You don't have to be on FB to be "tracked".

@Anonymous032819  Was just going to post this.

Honored Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

What I'm saying is that all that extremely personal info is tracked and ultimately available to criminals and people with values the exact opposite of yours. Weapons and valuables in the home are tracked. Controversial social views are tracked. Controlled substance prescriptions in the home are tracked. People with likely depression and addiction issues are tracked. Sensitive business information revealed inadvertantly is gathered and available to competitiors. For criminals and hackers and investigators and employers and admissions staff and lawyers to use to target you and/or your business. None of this info is secure and safe at Facebook. If you don't care, good luck to you.

Our personal information is out there anyway and no is required to post personal information on FB or any other social media site.  What you post is a choice.  FB isn't Big Brother, if you don't post your all your personal and private information, FB won't have it.  

Honored Contributor

just the bi-weekly "i hate facebook," "what good is facebook," "facebook is out to get you," "social media is horrible" thread.......

good thing that no one is forced to use it.....unless it is required for your work.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

@cherry wrote:

My son has an account and I will tell you , he never accepts cookies ,or wants anyone tracking him. I guess he doesn't feel threatened, so no. I only have allowed 1 person to friend me and I know they are absolutely  beyond reproach

I use it to sign into stuff

You and I are very similar.   I only have one person as a friend.   I also joined just so I could view and post on a few of the guinea pig facebook pages.   There's a couple of the rescues that I follow and also a few individuals that I respect as being knowledgeable about these wonderful little cavies.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don’t post much at all on FB...I use it to keep track of my grandkids and friends....and to read the news and check the weather. I don’t use it on my phone; I am told that is the riskiest method. I think many people just post anything and everything, no matter how personal, and then act surprised when it shows up on the other side of the world, being seen by people they don’t even know. It’s called the World Wide Web for a reason. Posting pictures of everything you eat, cook, do, wear, or think seems highly presumptuous to me...nobody wants to know that much about anyone!