Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

just the bi-weekly "i hate facebook," "what good is facebook," "facebook is out to get you," "social media is horrible" thread.......

good thing that no one is forced to use it.....unless it is required for your work.

@sunshine45 

Im one of the ones forced to use it for work, and I do some volunteer work for a non-profit and they require it too for communication and meetings......

I prefer Twitter and use it to get all my sports news and favorite columnists all in one place.....I mostly just use it to read seldom post on Twitter. ....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt 

twitter is good also, but i tend to use instagram more.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@GAQShopr53 wrote:

I am not surprised...I have never used the Facebook app on my phone of any of my other mobile devices.  I remember a friend downloading the app and immediately the app accessed her phone contacts. I thought this was a little too intrusive and recommended she delete the app immediately. To this date her contacts are all mixed up and she still has to verify the number and names before placing some of her calls.  

I do have my Facebook account and sign in and out on my desktop...I don't use the messenger, always change my passwords, and never stay signed into the account. 

@GAQShopr53 

What concerns me is several of my friend's Facebook accounts were recently hacked....Now I dont know what security settings they had, but I know I have mine on the most secure available....I think the problem is with the Facebook phone app, while I use my laptop to access it.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@GAQShopr53 wrote:

I am not surprised...I have never used the Facebook app on my phone of any of my other mobile devices.  I remember a friend downloading the app and immediately the app accessed her phone contacts. I thought this was a little too intrusive and recommended she delete the app immediately. To this date her contacts are all mixed up and she still has to verify the number and names before placing some of her calls.  

I do have my Facebook account and sign in and out on my desktop...I don't use the messenger, always change my passwords, and never stay signed into the account. 

@GAQShopr53 

What concerns me is several of my friend's Facebook accounts were recently hacked....Now I dont know what security settings they had, but I know I have mine on the most secure available....I think the problem is with the Facebook phone app, while I use my laptop to access it.....

I agree @Spurt I believe most downloaded Facebook and the messenger app had a lot of issues. I have never had any issues on my desktop!

Esteemed Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

I'll never get rid of my FB account.

I use it to keep in touch with my high school friends, with family members, plus, I am a member of several on-line groups, and I am a member of several tv show groups.

It's fun, it's FREE, and maybe most importantly of all, I'm not afraid of the "boogieman" lurking around the corner.

All of these "scare tatics" that "Ooooooh! They collect data on you!!! Be afraid, be very, very afraid!!!!", I say, "Pfft!"

Data is collected on us ALL. THE. TIME.

When you use your store loyalty card, they are keeping track on what you buy, how often you buy it, and what you spend.

Same thing with credit cards.

Yeah, you might have the card to rack up airline miles, or whatever, but make no mistake that they are tracking what you buy, how often you buy it, and how much you spend, and when and where you spend.

Why should FB be any different?

And yet people happily hand over their store loyality card, or credit card, without even blinking an eye and with no concern whatsoever about being tracked.

And guess where all that information goes.

That's right!

It goes in to a big 'ol database.

Yet, somehow FB is the "bad guy"?

Once again, I say, "Pfffft!"

Exactly.

And doing anything online provides information too.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Delete Facebook

[ Edited ]

@Porcelain wrote:

What I'm saying is that all that extremely personal info is tracked and ultimately available to criminals and people with values the exact opposite of yours. Weapons and valuables in the home are tracked. Controversial social views are tracked. Controlled substance prescriptions in the home are tracked. People with likely depression and addiction issues are tracked. Sensitive business information revealed inadvertantly is gathered and available to competitiors. For criminals and hackers and investigators and employers and admissions staff and lawyers to use to target you and/or your business. None of this info is secure and safe at Facebook. If you don't care, good luck to you.

Edited to add: I'm not going to keep going back and forth about this. I personally do my best to keep my family's info secure. Just like I lock my front door.

If I never locked my house or car, probably nothing bad would happen because of it. That doesn't stop me from locking up, because that is the bare minimum to keep my loved ones and possessions safe.

Weapons and valuables?  Controlled substances in my home?

I've been on Facebook for over 10 years.  I've never once posted anything about weapons, valuables, or controlled substances in my home, and I'm willing to bet that most people would say the same thing.  

I have not ever had even the slightest problem with Facebook.  All of my settings are as tight as they can be, and I use common sense when I post, comment, etc.   I think there's a big difference between being careful and being overly paranoid.  The internet in general gathers information, so we need to educate ourselves and be cautious overall.

Honored Contributor

Re: Delete Facebook

[ Edited ]

I only use it to look something up.  So, I never was subject to malware.  

But, if you can't close your account, Facebook will do it for you.  Post something someone doesn't like...often just a different opinion even if it's stated in a nice way.  That person or group will report you to Facebook. 

Also, Facebook has a list of subjects that can't be discussed and words that can't be used.  If you touch on any of them, they will immediately remove your account for you, permanently.  Forget it if you ever want to open it again in the future.  

Also, if they find out you didn't provide accurate information about yourself.  Don't fudge on age.  Concerning is it seems they constantly have bloodhounds searching everyone's backgrounds to see if they told the truth.

Sure, they'll tell you it's all about catching the bad guys, but that's not the only reason.  Facebook has an agenda.

Not that I recommend you do any of those things. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Foxxee wrote:

But, if you can't close your account, Facebook will do it for you.  Post something someone doesn't like...often just a different opinion even if it's stated in a nice way.  That person or group will report you to Facebook. 

Also, Facebook has a list of subjects that can't be discussed and words that can't be used.  If you touch on any of them, they will immediately remove your account for you, permanently.  Forget it if you ever want to open it again in the future.  

Also, if they find out you didn't provide accurate information about yourself.  Don't fudge on age.  Concerning is it seems they constantly have bloodhounds searching everyone's backgrounds to see if they told the truth.

Sure, they'll tell you it's all about catching the bad guys, but that's not the only reason.  Facebook has an agenda.

It's actually easy to give an incorrect date of birth and/or age.  Especially if you set it up with a completely made-up name.  I have several friends who did that.  A few are well-known names who wanted private accounts that would not be discovered by the public, and two are people who had been stalked.  All of these accounts have been active for years without the Facebook police swooping in.

Esteemed Contributor

@Foxxee wrote:

100% pure hogwash.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Valued Contributor

@Foxxee wrote:

total and complete misinformation.  I belong to groups from my city so I can keep up with political things, council meetings and what the police department is doing, People often get into heated arguments over things like tax increases and call each other names, I even got bullied and called terrible names, I repoted that to FB. They looked into the matter and told me to just leave tghe group if that's how the members are. They didn;t ban anyone,

Facebook does collect your information just like any other site you use, Your birthday, saying Happy Birthday to your friends which tell ages, then you get ads for things like Depends. They track what sites you see, what games you play and get profiles of you. When you get an ad you don't want, you can click that you dont' want to see any ads from that company and they ask why. Once you say "offensive" or irrelevant, again that gives them a profile of you.

Nothing out there is private or 100% secure. But this is life in the 21st century. It's how we learn of things. I often see ads for stuff I'd like to buy so it does help me too.

This very site we are on tracks us on the internet. The blogs show up all the time in a Google search.

It is what it is. I don't live my life in feat of "what if". That in turn creates a life of anxiety.