Honored Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

@LilacTree wrote:

I read yesterday an article listing apps that should be removed from our devices because of malware and other dangers.  Most of them were games and other apps I have never heard of.

One was huge though.  It was highly recommended that we remove Facebook in its entirety, saving whatever we wanted to keep to the cloud or another storage facility first.

Would anyone here do that? I‘m thinking about it but I’m not sure how to go about it. I know one can temporarily shut it down, but delete it entirely . . . Is that possible?

It’s easy to delete the app but I have no idea how to save everything to the cloud. You could save each post as screenshots and keep them in iCloud photos or in a file. To delete the app, just hold down your finger over the icon on the screen. When it starts moving, press delete. You can also unsubscribe from inside the app. I think you have to go to your profupile to find where you can unsubscribe.

@LilacTree@Mindy D 

Accessing & Downloading Your Information | Facebook Help Center | Facebook”

Deactivating & Deleting Your Account | Facebook Help Center | Facebook”

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

I deleted mine during the run-up to the 2016 election.  

There are step by step directions available on line.

@Drythe  Any of my 30 or so friends who post political or religious posts are hidden so I don’t see any of their posts. I had to hide 2 of them. 

The towns I follow aren’t  allowed to post political stuff. So on my FB feed I see none of that.

@proudlyfromNJ 

I own/manage a business web, and it takes a good deal of my online time.   I took the easy way out with FB.  With Email, and Text I found that to me, it wasn't worth it.  Best to you. 

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

@LilacTree wrote:

I read yesterday an article listing apps that should be removed from our devices because of malware and other dangers.  Most of them were games and other apps I have never heard of.

One was huge though.  It was highly recommended that we remove Facebook in its entirety, saving whatever we wanted to keep to the cloud or another storage facility first.

Would anyone here do that? I‘m thinking about it but I’m not sure how to go about it. I know one can temporarily shut it down, but delete it entirely . . . Is that possible?

Hi, @LilacTree!   So good to see you!❤️   Yes, you can delete your Facebook account completely if you want.   You can even download it for yourself, first, if you’d like to do that.   I’ve never used any Facebook apps or any of the apps for their other companies or brands —I only access the full website.    I use mobile apps sparingly because of the invasive permissions required.

Do you mind sharing the title of the article you mentioned?   I don’t plan to close my account but I’d like to read it.   Hope you’re doing well!

@dooBdoo 

It was an article in newsfeed and I’m sorry, DooB, but I do not remember the name if the article.  However if you google it, you may be able to find it.  As I said it mentioned other apps and games as well that I did not recognize.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

Re: Delete Facebook

[ Edited ]

@LilacTree wrote:

@dooBdoo wrote:

Hi, @LilacTree!   So good to see you!❤️   Yes, you can delete your Facebook account completely if you want.   You can even download it for yourself, first, if you’d like to do that.   I’ve never used any Facebook apps or any of the apps for their other companies or brands —I only access the full website.    I use mobile apps sparingly because of the invasive permissions required.

Do you mind sharing the title of the article you mentioned?   I don’t plan to close my account but I’d like to read it.   Hope you’re doing well!

@dooBdoo 

It was an article in newsfeed and I’m sorry, DooB, but I do not remember the name if the article.  However if you google it, you may be able to find it.  As I said it mentioned other apps and games as well that I did not recognize.

Thanks, @LilacTree.   I tried searching before I posted but couldn’t find anything recent that seemed to fit the description.   Isn’t it weirdly ironic that a Facebook newsfeed article includes the Facebook newsfeed platform as one of the things we need to eliminate in order to protect ourselves!?!    What a crazy world, right?   😉🙃

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@LilacTree wrote:

I got rid of facebook about 7 years.  I am a phone person.  I rather call someone instead of posting things on the computer.  I enjoy posting on the Q's forums though.Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

@LilacTree wrote:

@dooBdoo wrote:

@dooBdoo 

Thanks, @LilacTree.   I tried searching before I posted but couldn’t find anything recent that seemed to fit the description.   Isn’t it weirdly ironic that a Facebook newsfeed article includes the Facebook newsfeed platform as one of the things we need to eliminate in order to protect ourselves!?!    What a crazy world, right?   😉🙃

@dooBdoo, @LilacTree 

I read the same article on the ATT's news feed.

It was from Popular Mechanics.  Name of article:

7 Apps You Should Delete from Your Phone Right Now

These apps track you.

Honored Contributor

Thanks, @qbetzforreal!😊🌻

Honored Contributor

New article today: Facebook Says It Has Suspended ‘Tens of Thousands’ of Apps.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/20/technology/facebook-data-privacy-suspension.html

"Facebook said in a blog post that its investigation into apps — which it began in March 2018 following revelations that Cambridge Analytica, a British consultancy, had improperly retrieved and used people’s Facebook information without their permission — now covered millions of apps. It said that the tens of thousands of apps that were suspended were associated with about 400 developers. The review is ongoing."

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr