Honored Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

I deleted mine during the run-up to the 2016 election.  

There are step by step directions available on line.

@Drythe  Any of my 30 or so friends who post political or religious posts are hidden so I don’t see any of their posts. I had to hide 2 of them. 

The towns I follow aren’t  allowed to post political stuff. So on my FB feed I see none of that.

Respected Contributor

FB is the primary way lots of organizations and groups disseminate information these days, so it's not an option for me to delete it. Where else can you connect with so many people so easily? Of course it has its pitfalls and annoyances, but the good outweighs the bad, I think.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Respected Contributor

Re: Delete Facebook

[ Edited ]

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

I deleted mine during the run-up to the 2016 election.  

There are step by step directions available on line.

@Drythe  Any of my 30 or so friends who post political or religious posts are hidden so I don’t see any of their posts. I had to hide 2 of them. 

The towns I follow aren’t  allowed to post political stuff. So on my FB feed I see none of that.

I straight up unfriend people who post racist/bigoted memes and hateful political stuff based on conspiracy theories and lies. I don't want to be associated with people like that. Needless to say, I lost a lot of "friends" after 2016.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Honored Contributor

I'm not a big FB person, but I do use it occasionally for my job.  I used to post personal photos, but not anymore.  It got rather time consuming for me.

Sorry you are no longer able to keep in touch with friends from your past @Annabellethecat66  since your daughters encouraged you to delete your account.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm not on any social media except for here---never trusted it and still think it will kick everyone in the caboose someday--it has started already but think it will rear its ugly head and bite cha!!! Just don't understand the need to broadcast your whole life on cyber space---just me, I guess!

Honored Contributor

I don’t use it.

Honored Contributor

I don’t see why anyone here would care what anyone else does. Use FB if you want, or don’t use it. 

Esteemed Contributor

@wagirl wrote:

I'm not on any social media except for here---never trusted it and still think it will kick everyone in the caboose someday--it has started already but think it will rear its ugly head and bite cha!!! Just don't understand the need to broadcast your whole life on cyber space---just me, I guess!

Everyone uses social media differently.  I'm active on social media, but I don't broadcast my entire life.  I never have and I never will, and I am not at all unusual.  

Social media can be used in a variety of ways.  Not everyone uses it in the same way, and that's one of the best things about it. 

Esteemed Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

I don’t see why anyone here would care what anyone else does. Use FB if you want, or don’t use it. 

Exactly!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LilacTree wrote:

I read yesterday an article listing apps that should be removed from our devices because of malware and other dangers.  Most of them were games and other apps I have never heard of.

One was huge though.  It was highly recommended that we remove Facebook in its entirety, saving whatever we wanted to keep to the cloud or another storage facility first.

Would anyone here do that? I‘m thinking about it but I’m not sure how to go about it. I know one can temporarily shut it down, but delete it entirely . . . Is that possible?

Hi, @LilacTree!   So good to see you!❤️   Yes, you can delete your Facebook account completely if you want.   You can even download it for yourself, first, if you’d like to do that.   I’ve never used any Facebook apps or any of the apps for their other companies or brands —I only access the full website.    I use mobile apps sparingly because of the invasive permissions required.

Do you mind sharing the title of the article you mentioned?   I don’t plan to close my account but I’d like to read it.   Hope you’re doing well!

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova