Honored Contributor

Re: Delete Facebook

[ Edited ]

@LilacTree wrote:

I read yesterday an article listing apps that should be removed from our devices because of malware and other dangers.  Most of them were games and other apps I have never heard of.

One was huge though.  It was highly recommended that we remove Facebook in its entirety, saving whatever we wanted to keep to the cloud or another storage facility first.

Would anyone here do that? I‘m thinking about it but I’m not sure how to go about it. I know one can temporarily shut it down, but delete it entirely . . . Is that possible?

I don’t have a Facebook account. I don’t really care for FB. I’ve been meaning to finally unsubscribe and then delete my husband’s account. He does not use the account.  My niece helped my husband sign up when he got a cell phone years ago. He used my email address,  so I get all the emails to go see so and so’s post. I’ve occasionally used it to find a long lost friend by searching for them on FB and then using what I glean to search the net and find them. Some of my relatives and friends post and I’ve looked a few times, but since I talk to all of them, there’s nothing on FB that I couldn’t find out directly from them.

I have one friend that’s addicted to posting photos of herself on FB. She also posts about every single trip or activity. Posting and getting positive responses to your post on FB, or even getting hearts here, on this forum, can be strong positive reinforcers that increase the likelihood that posters will continue to post; checking their posts for positive comments and likes on FB, and counting their hearted posts here. Positive reinforcer is the psychological term for a reward. This is anything that increases the likelihood that the rewarded behavior will appear again. 

FB is always trying to get a photo from my husband. They make their money with your photo and your revelations as to your interests. They sell all of your data to businesses, policy making groups, academic researchers, foreign governments, among many others. They keep tabs on all your likes, your political and religious ideologies, your habits, your connections to others, your SES, your pets. Everything about you can be used in algorithms by these entities. FB makes money by invading privacy and selling all the data it gathers. Google is stepping up these tactics too. I still love Google but lately  they are relentlessly tracking me and trying to sell me products. I have to laugh at some of this. I listen to a podcast called “The Murder Squad.” After each episode I become curious about the case and I research the crime the episode deals with. I get ads showing up selling products that are distantly related to minor aspects of the cases I look up. For example, if a case is about a series of unsolved crimes in Dayton, Ohio, I’ll get ads show up in online newspapers I read with vacation specials to Dayton. 

Respected Contributor

I never understood the reasoning behind facebook. 

Honored Contributor

@catter70 wrote:

whats not to understand?

it is a great way to keep in touch with family and friends around the world......and it is FREE.

it is a great way for business owners to advertise and promote their business for FREE.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@catter70 wrote:

whats not to understand?

it is a great way to keep in touch with family and friends around the world......and it is FREE.

it is a great way for business owners to advertise and promote their business for FREE.

Facebook ads are not free.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

My town and the town I grew up in have FB so I keep up with them. If there is traffic in the area, fires, etc any news at all I can get it right on FB. Posters  ask questions about school, happenings out and about. I wouldn’t be without it.

Honored Contributor

I deleted mine during the run-up to the 2016 election.  

There are step by step directions available on line.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

People I know well enough to give my number to, I just text with. I can do anything I would do on facebook in a text. I use group texts sometimes too. It's all much simpler and more secure than going through an untrustworthy third party.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

I have no information at all ,that would be of use to anyone ,on my account

Me too! It's like if anyone looked through my browsing history, they would be disappointed, mostly shopping sites!

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D 

You make it sound like 1984 and Big Brother is watching you, it is a place to locate friends and , we were able to get a group of people together for a reunion of my elementary school and Junior high. I love Facebook, if is is not for you do not use it, it is as simple as that.just today I connected with a distant cousin and last year I connected with the daughter of my late Mom's dear friend

@Mindy D wrote:

@LilacTree wrote:

I read yesterday an article listing apps that should be removed from our devices because of malware and other dangers.  Most of them were games and other apps I have never heard of.

One was huge though.  It was highly recommended that we remove Facebook in its entirety, saving whatever we wanted to keep to the cloud or another storage facility first.

Would anyone here do that? I‘m thinking about it but I’m not sure how to go about it. I know one can temporarily shut it down, but delete it entirely . . . Is that possible?

I don’t have a Facebook account. I don’t really care for FB. I’ve been meaning to finally unsubscribe and then delete my husband’s account. He does not use the account.  My niece helped my husband sign up when he got a cell phone years ago. He used my email address,  so I get all the emails to go see so and so’s post. I’ve occasionally used it to find a long lost friend by searching for them on FB and then using what I glean to search the net and find them. Some of my relatives and friends post and I’ve looked a few times, but since I talk to all of them, there’s nothing on FB that I couldn’t find out directly from them.

I have one friend that’s addicted to posting photos of herself on FB. She also posts about every single trip or activity. Posting and getting positive responses to your post on FB, or even getting hearts here, on this forum, can be strong positive reinforcers that increase the likelihood that posters will continue to post; checking their posts for positive comments and likes on FB, and counting their hearted posts here. Positive reinforcer is the psychological term for a reward. This is anything that increases the likelihood that the rewarded behavior will appear again. 

FB is always trying to get a photo from my husband. They make their money with your photo and your revelations as to your interests. They sell all of your data to businesses, policy making groups, academic researchers, foreign governments, among many others. They keep tabs on all your likes, your political and religious ideologies, your habits, your connections to others, your SES, your pets. Everything about you can be used in algorithms by these entities. FB makes money by invading privacy and selling all the data it gathers. Google is stepping up these tactics too. I still love Google but lately  they are relentlessly tracking me and trying to sell me products. I have to laugh at some of this. I listen to a podcast called “The Murder Squad.” After each episode I become curious about the case and I research the crime the episode deals with. I get ads showing up selling products that are distantly related to minor aspects of the cases I look up. For example, if a case is about a series of unsolved crimes in Dayton, Ohio, I’ll get ads show up in online newspapers I read with vacation specials to Dayton. 

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Delete Facebook

[ Edited ]

I'll never get rid of my FB account.

I use it to keep in touch with my high school friends, with family members, plus, I am a member of several on-line groups, and I am a member of several tv show groups.

It's fun, it's FREE, and maybe most importantly of all, I'm not afraid of the "boogieman" lurking around the corner.

All of these "scare tatics" that "Ooooooh! They collect data on you!!! Be afraid, be very, very afraid!!!!", I say, "Pfft!"

Data is collected on us ALL. THE. TIME.

When you use your store loyalty card, they are keeping track on what you buy, how often you buy it, and what you spend.

Same thing with credit cards.

Yeah, you might have the card to rack up airline miles, or whatever, but make no mistake that they are tracking what you buy, how often you buy it, and how much you spend, and when and where you spend.

Why should FB be any different?

And yet people happily hand over their store loyality card, or credit card, without even blinking an eye and with no concern whatsoever about being tracked.

And guess where all that information goes.

That's right!

It goes in to a big 'ol database.

Yet, somehow FB is the "bad guy"?

Once again, I say, "Pfffft!"

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.