Valued Contributor

Re: DISGUSTING EXPERIENCE AT LOWES TODAY

And that is one reason I DON't take my dog to places like that.  Think of the diseases they can pick up.  

Now, I admit when I first got my baby, I was determined to take him everywhere!  ha, that lasted for one outing!  I got so nervous with all the strangers wanting to pet him.  What if they were evil and wanted to hurt him?  What if they were bending down and unhooked his leash and ran with him?  Once in a while I do take him to the pet store and he rides in the cart.  

He is perefectly happy staying home and getting loves and treats when I return and I love that emotional support in my own home.

With that said, I am looking into training him as a therapy dog.  Not my therapy dog that I drag around every where, but trained to go on visits to hospice, ill children, nursing homes etc.  I met a teacher of special needs children in the pet store a few years ago and she invited me, well, him to visit her students.  Great time!

So, that is my goal, he weighs 10 lbs, doesn't bark unless playing with the cat. Is house trained and is always groomed.  So if anyone owns a therapy dog and has any guidance, I'm all ears. 

Honored Contributor

Dogs should not be in stores or in restaurants.  It's dangerous for other shoppers and diners and for the dogs as well.  Dogs are stressed, shoppers are stressed.  Accidents happen.

Since the dogs aren't picking out light bulbs and ordering sandwiches, they should be at home where everyone is safer that way.  Just NO reason to take the dog shopping. 

We used to have laws in this country, but one by one they go by the wayside.

Honored Contributor

@shoekitty wrote:

@occasionalrain wrote:

I believe the shoes are to protect the dog's feet from getting burned on the hot sidewalks. 

Shoekitty said

I have seen shoes for hot sidewalks.  More people need to do that or pick their dogs up when ot gets over 100 here. So,etimes they use dog strollers too.  But when I saw the dog with converse dog shoes it was cool and had just rained.  Maybe they were showing off his new shoes.  They sure were cute.

@shoekitty  Next time you see a dog in a stroller, please consider it may not be a hot sidewalk. My Sadie, 14 1/2, has weak back legs and arthritis and can no longer go on walks, so we take her with us in a stroller to be part of the “family” with our other beagle. 

Valued Contributor

Oh and there is a website that I do check if I am traveling or just want to take him with us.  Bringfidodotcom.

Honored Contributor

@Warrior2022 wrote:

Oh and there is a website that I do check if I am traveling or just want to take him with us.  Bringfidodotcom.

@Warrior2022  That’s fantastic! I just made a note of that site. Appreciate the post.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WypxWZUiB2s

This happened in Orlando recently.  The “service aide” emotional support agenda is a highly abused law.  Florida is working to tighten up the loop holes to this issue.  I cannot believe the disrespect of people who feel they can negate rules & policies of businesses.  

Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@SahmIam wrote:

For whatever reasons, stores allow this. 

The emotional support animal situation has sadly gone over the top. For $25 you can, ONLINE, have a doctor write you a script for one. How bad is this? There are lawsuits all over the country in communities with HOA's and condos that are having to deal with it and it's not funny.

We don't allow livestock in our community as pets BUT...MUST allow any animal if there is a doctor's script for a support animal. The one a community over is dealing with?

1) Woman has a 400 pound pot belly pig as her support animal

2) The Pot Belly pig NEEDS a support animal for when she is at work and so, IT HAS A CHICKEN (I kid you not). Yes, it has a script for one.

3) The CHICKEN has a support animal because it has issues not being allowed outdoors and is therefore stressed and molting. It's support animal is a guinea pig.

NOT. KIDDING.

We are in the process of working on a service/support dog for our son. That said, as per the law, he could have ANY animal, bird, fish, lizard, livestock if he wanted as long as it lives INSIDE the residence. 

Found out last month that there is a member of our community who has a goose as a emotional support animal. How? The neighbor (townhouse) called the police because she thought someone was being murdered due to sounds she was hearing through the walls. It was the goose honking because he had a "lady friend" over for the night and the goose was locked out of the bedroom.

You can't make this **** up folks.

@SahmIam It behooves anyone or any entity wanting or being forced to endure a supposed 'emotional support' animal to look very carefully at the regulations. Not all 'emotional support' animals are recognized as being an ADA compliance issue. Merely having a doctor's note is not always enough to force jurisdictions or other entities to look the other way. There is a world of difference between an emotional support animal and a legitimate service animal.

@stevieb Unfortunately, this is NOT true now. There are many cases pending regarding the use of and stated as "a support animal" and so far, there has not been a court yet that has said, "no, you can't do this".  I know this because we are currently having our community documents reviewed by our attorneys, in order to update everything so as to protect the HOA/community and homeowners. Laws regarding support animals are constantly being discussed because condos and townhomes are facing lawsuit after lawsuit over what is allowed and what isn't. So far, in my state (and from what our lawyer has said, every state where a case went to court), as long as you have a script from our doctor, we MUST ALLOW the animal no matter WHAT our by-laws say.

You want a donkey? Have to allow it. You want a goat? Have to allow it. You want a horse? A cow? A seal? Have to allow it. The one rule is that it MUST be able to fit inside your residence.

What if you live in a high-rise and have allergies? Does the person with the support animal over-rule the fact that you bought in a pet-free building? As of now, yes (due to a case that was presented a few months ago). 

Forget about common sense. Support animals don't have to meet any ADA requirements apparently. It's....crazy.

Honored Contributor

@Warrior2022 wrote:

And that is one reason I DON't take my dog to places like that.  Think of the diseases they can pick up.  

Now, I admit when I first got my baby, I was determined to take him everywhere!  ha, that lasted for one outing!  I got so nervous with all the strangers wanting to pet him.  What if they were evil and wanted to hurt him?  What if they were bending down and unhooked his leash and ran with him?  Once in a while I do take him to the pet store and he rides in the cart.  

He is perefectly happy staying home and getting loves and treats when I return and I love that emotional support in my own home.

With that said, I am looking into training him as a therapy dog.  Not my therapy dog that I drag around every where, but trained to go on visits to hospice, ill children, nursing homes etc.  I met a teacher of special needs children in the pet store a few years ago and she invited me, well, him to visit her students.  Great time!

So, that is my goal, he weighs 10 lbs, doesn't bark unless playing with the cat. Is house trained and is always groomed.  So if anyone owns a therapy dog and has any guidance, I'm all ears. 

@Warrior2022  I waited until my dogs had all their puppy shots before taking them around any other dogs/people. 

BTW, kudos for your potential work training your dog to be a therapy dog. Quite admirable.

Trusted Contributor

@Deanie wrote:

Ahhh yes the emotional support dog industry and the wonderful people who pick up after their animals. Somebody will slip and fall on dog doo, sue them and then only legitimate service animals will be let in. This is what happened to the airline industry.

I do work for a national organization that provides assistance dogs for people with disabilities other than blindness.  One of the biggest challenges we face is dealing with people who have fake service and emotional support dogs.  Unfortunately there are no laws regulating the industry.  Our dogs go through a two year plus training period and are some of the best behaved and well trained dogs on the planet.  It infuriates me that there are self serving people who want to take their untrained dogs into public places.  They don't have a clue or don't care how this impacts people who have legitimate service dogs.  

Honored Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

did U like that movie a lot and why you have it as your avatar?

@SharkE It's sort of a little running joke between some of the ladies on one of the handbag threads and me. It sort of stuck and so I found that picture and adopted it as my avatar... 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...