Valued Contributor

Re: DISGUSTING EXPERIENCE AT LOWES TODAY

I like dogs - we had them when I was growing up. BUT, they do not belong in stores, banks, etc. (Unless it's a service dog). I have seen them in grocery carts (why a pet owner thinks it's ok to put a pet in a grocery cart, even with a blanket, is unbelieveable). I have seen them in a nice women's clothing store - this was a medium to large dog. And I was in a bank a couple months ago where the dog on the leash was barking and growling at customers and the owner didn't seem to mind. I was also at a Barnes and Noble recently and when I came out there was dog poo right on the sidewalk - it's a good thing I looked down. It's a growing problem, and yes, it is a problem.

Respected Contributor

Too many people abuse the privilege of taking their dogs everywhere. It's a totally selfish act--especially when they disregard those around them. To just assume that everyone else is going to love your dog is going too far.

As others have pointed out, legitimate service dogs are one thing: they have been trained and are needed by their owners. But many so-called service dogs are not qualified.

Honored Contributor

@lovesrecess@I only carry cross body bags so that I don’t need to set my purse anywhere.

Honored Contributor

Here's the deal. I like dogs, well, most dogs, but I don't own one and while I enjoy seeing them out in the neighborhood and will occasionally 'make over' a neighbor's dog, I do not particularly enjoy having them foisted on me at the store... any store... No matter how well behaved a dog may be and no matter how much one might assume other customers love seeing their dog, you can be assured there are other customers who are not pleased and some who are shaking their heads at the practice of retail entities of all types permitting pets and of pet owners who can't seem to leave the house without them... As noted earlier, legitimate service animals should be the exception. Otherwise, leave the dog at home. If the dog needs socialization then seek out an off leash park with other dog owners or a local establishment for that express purpose, but don't assume everyone at the local hardware star is willing to serve that purpose... Now, all that said, I do very much agree that I would far rather encounter a well behaved dog than what seems to be the increasing number of poorly behaved children, whose parents make no attempt to, parent...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

Only service dogs are permitted in my places of employment due to the health code pertaining to food sales.