Honored Contributor

Re: DISGUSTING EXPERIENCE AT LOWES TODAY

[ Edited ]

@ccassaday  What a beautiful golden....and so well behaved!  I'd love to meet your girl at Lowes!  Actually I've only encountered grins and pets when I take my little guy to Lowes/Home Depot.  There is always one rotten apple in the bunch whether it be canine or child parental irresponsibility.  Either way, unacceptable behavior is, well, unacceptable.  I am more likely to see kids screaming running up the aisles with no supervision than an out of control pup. But neither of these events are appropriate.  Love your girl, she is a beauty!

Honored Contributor

@aroc3435 wrote:

@tends2dogs  Wow, what a way to interrupt your shopping expedition.  Eeew.  

As someone else said, I see dogs in many inappropriate public venues that are not service dogs.

I am an animal lover, and have owned two dogs at different times that I loved one as a child and one as a young, married adult.  Now, in my senior years I have switched to being a cat owner.  

What some dog lovers may not understand, or even think about, is that there are people who have a genuine fear of all dogs, or of certain breeds or sizes of dogs.  All dogs out on the street should be well leashed and with an owner or responsible hired dog walker.  

And the saying "Fido is okay he won't hurt you" is not okay with me.  I do have a fear of two breeds of dogs and they can sense it.  I've learned how to cope with it but when I spot them on the sidewalk far enough in advance I try to cross the street safely to avoid the unnerving (and for me embarrasing) encounter for the dog, the owner, and for me.

Just my opinion but I don't think people--unless they have certified service dogs--should bring them to outdoor public events, parks (unless there is a separate fenced in, gated section for the dogs) or food markets, or restaurants, or bars.  

Let Fido enjoy the comfort of his heated home in winter or his cooled/air conditioned home in summer.  He has his food, his water bowl, toys, etc. in his comfy home.

@aroc3435

You are so right, I am also an animal lover, but only true service animals should be allowed in stores!!!

I am tired of people saying how friendly their dog is and won't hurt anyone  ...That might be true of immediate family or owner's friends they see often, BUT there's no guarantee how their dog will react to strangers....Another reason "pets" shouldnt be allowed in stores......Even in Petsmart I witnessed dogs that werent getting along and were aggresive towards one another.....Its a disaster waiting to happen on so many levels..........

I had it out with a neighbor who let her dogs run loose (leash laws dont apply to her).....Her dogs came after me and like that cashier I did nothing to provoke the dogs...thankfully another neighbor rescued me from being bit....And she continued on in her irresponsible ways, doesnt pick up after her dogs either, so I finally reported her to our COA, and learned I wasnt the only one who filed a complaint......

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

I have noticed dogs everywhere here in Silicon Valley.   There used to be certain  stores near us that allowed dogs.  Now it is everywhere.  I noticed signs on the door of stores allowing only the handicap or service dogs allowed..but....

i noticed when I was in Burbank and Studio City this Thanksgiving they are everywhere, but they are tended too.  Here you are required to carry their licence with vacination record. People pic up the poo right away.  If you dont, you can be finded.  But most people here are pretty into animals and care for them.  Some have fancy poo bags too, and containers to put filled fancy poo bags in if they cannot find recepticle!  Also, many dogs have shoes!!  Yes, shoes and socks!!!  I imagine many dog owners do not want their dogs bringing home disease or getting an ailment or worms from pavement! Even though you know they ate vacinated.  One dog we saw crossing the street was marching with his shoes, they were like converse!!  Omg, I almost ran off the curb staring at him.  I imagine it is a challenge for animals to learn to walk well in shoes.  Lol. Only in California.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've seen petite dogs on blankets in the seat of carts larger dogs on leashes in stores. I've not seen any misbehaving. Somehow, it pleases me when I see them. I think it's that they seem happy to be included rather than left behind.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@homedecor1

I am so glad you spoke up about the dog that was licking food products in the grocery store, and whose owner requested deli samples for the dog to taste....I wonder if the dog threw up becauseof the "taste testing"...DISGUSTING situation.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

There is a poo park at San Jose airport.  I got to travel with a cat from santa cruz my last flight. His owner filled me in on the poo park.  I noticed this holiday dogs were everywhere at airport. The santa cruz cat human had to pay 100 for his space under seat. . 

Honored Contributor

That is disgusting. I'm not anti dogs, but I am when their irresponsible owners allow this to happen. Someone could have slipped and fell.

Honored Contributor

I believe the shoes are to protect the dog's feet from getting burned on the hot sidewalks. 

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Bri369 wrote:

There is no comparison between a dog and a child.  None.

Yet you will be taken to task by some who have absolutely no idea the difference between an animal and a human being. Now if that isn't sad???

Oh I don't know. I firmly believe most of us here are intelligent adults who very much understand the difference between a dog and a child. There are, however, differences in the relative value placed on the two by varying points of view. Some might find that 'sad' while others might find it 'sad' that there isn't more value placed on ALL forms of animal life, of which human life is but one form...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

i get so mad at people who don’t know their dogs. A dog that would ****** in a store should not of been in the store. It was probably nervous or scared. Or the ones that say their dogs won’t bite. Those are the ones that probably will.  Mine loves people to much and would just lick you to death.😂. If someone asks if they can let her we always make her sit first and tell them she might jump on them a little. Still haven’t completly knocked that out. She loves all the attention she gets when going out to stores.