Respected Contributor

@Phantom41 The size of their paper towel rolls has decreased as well.  I'm finding it's just as economical to purchase the Bounty rolls at a slightly higher price.

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 

Before the pandemic when I would go to the local mall, there were certain well known stores where I wouldn't use their ladies room.  

Reason:  they found TP that was almost as narrow as the 2" width you described and so sheer that you could almost read your book through it !  Imagine how much of that roll one would need....

And, then there is wasted packaging that several posters indicated:  half-full / half-empty boxes of cereal, potato chips, etc.

Some corporate executive must think we are stupid and wouldn't notice the gouging !!!

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Trusted Contributor

@golding76 wrote:

I swear, I've become like a cat.  I immediately know something is different if there has been a change.  When something changes size, I halt what I'm doing instantly, check out the dimensions against a previous purchase (if available) and realize that I've been driven crazy by the pandemic.

LOL, I'm the same way!  I knew when I was putting that TP in the cart  it was way less awkward than before!

Honored Contributor

We were in Costco Wednesday and all they had was Scott toilet paper.

We passed on it.

Honored Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

The last two times I was a Costco there was no toilet paper.  I have an appt for a flu shot there on Monday.  I will be sure to check for Charmin in stock!

I went to costco just yesterday... a huge stock pile of both TP and PT.  No problems at all.

Honored Contributor

We really like WM TP, they were out of their own brand 2 weeks ago. 

Honored Contributor

@Phantom41 wrote:

I managed to score some TP at Costco today and kinda thought it looked smaller than before.  We had an old bundle in the basement and the old one was 425 sheets per roll compared to the 380 on the new bundle.  Same price of course! I must be getting old, I'm now comparing sheets on toilet paper.  This is what last year has done to me!

@Phantom41 

Just a side note. I have been counting the number of sheets on TP and comparing weights, per pound/ounce and so on, for decades.

Was doing this when I use to do most the math in my head, and later a calculator. I have always seen it as getting the most for my money, and without sacrificing quality.

My mother taught me this unknowingly when I watched what she did when we went to grocery store. I was about 8 years old at the time.

Some call it cheap, I prefer frugal. I have not seen "I must be getting old" used in that same context, until I read your post. With inflation and empty shelves I may not have that luxury in the near future, possibly even the long term future.

I see no logical reason to believe it is going to be short term transitory problem, to use a word I have heard often on the news. If shortages on the shelves were the only issue, yes! Unfortunately it backs up much further back, some even as far as manufacturing.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Re: Costco and TP

[ Edited ]

@golding76 wrote:

I swear, I've become like a cat.  I immediately know something is different if there has been a change.  When something changes size, I halt what I'm doing instantly, check out the dimensions against a previous purchase (if available) and realize that I've been driven crazy by the pandemic.

@golding76 

It has little to do with the pandemic hoarding of the past. The list of reasons is not short, nor do I see this problem being short term. I see it getting much worse before it gets better, adding an "if"!  

This from me, always an optimist, but also grounded in reality.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@jlkz wrote:

@Kachina624 

Before the pandemic when I would go to the local mall, there were certain well known stores where I wouldn't use their ladies room.  

Reason:  they found TP that was almost as narrow as the 2" width you described and so sheer that you could almost read your book through it !  Imagine how much of that roll one would need....

And, then there is wasted packaging that several posters indicated:  half-full / half-empty boxes of cereal, potato chips, etc.

Some corporate executive must think we are stupid and wouldn't notice the gouging !!!

@jlkz    I think the thing that irritated me most was when they reduced the size of cake mixes.  Every kitchen in America had a 9 X 13" pan in which cakes were baked.  Now all our pans are obsolete or our cakes are about 1/2" thick.  We who bake should have hung Betty Crocker and Duncan Hines in effigy. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Re: Costco and TP

[ Edited ]

I went to Costco yesterday afternoon.  They had ample supply of everything in the store in my area.

Hope it stays that way.  I'm really tired of all the stuff going on in this pandemic.