Respected Contributor

Re: Childen Left in Cars To Die

That's odd.....I thought ladies gave up having kids and changed to having pit bulls, seriously.  Maybe the ones that already have kids?

I DO believe that people are NOT aware of how fast the temperature can rise inside of a car in the heat.  It can take minutes.  They just don't think.

Can you imagine the guilt they will feel?????  I would not want that.  I feel sorry for both sides.

Honored Contributor

The passenger seat airbag in my car can be deactivated.

Trusted Contributor

@qvcaddition wrote:

@Love to Run

@Love to Run wrote:

@qvcaddition wrote:

I am now a Great grandmother, raised three children back in the day and we never had this happen that I know of and so common today.  When we took our babies in the stroller we had no cell phones and constanly looking at it like I see mothers today doing.  I have seen a few fathers with strollers, which didn't happen in my day, that is a nice thing, but they are not looking at cell phones.

It's a different world and not so much for the better. How can you forget your children are in the car? Too busy on twitter, facebook, snap chat, etc. Disgusting.

Back in your day children weren't seated in rear-facing car seats in the back seat of the car. Your generation weren't any better parents than this one.

Most of the kids were in the back seat depending how many you were hauling around to functions.  You sound like you know about parents back in the day.  I guess I was around  different kind of parents than you were. True they did dicipline their children. 

@qvcaddition wrote:

@Love to Run

@Love to Run wrote:

@qvcaddition wrote:

I am now a Great grandmother, raised three children back in the day and we never had this happen that I know of and so common today.  When we took our babies in the stroller we had no cell phones and constanly looking at it like I see mothers today doing.  I have seen a few fathers with strollers, which didn't happen in my day, that is a nice thing, but they are not looking at cell phones.

It's a different world and not so much for the better. How can you forget your children are in the car? Too busy on twitter, facebook, snap chat, etc. Disgusting.

Back in your day children weren't seated in rear-facing car seats in the back seat of the car. Your generation weren't any better parents than this one.

Most of the kids were in the back seat depending how many you were hauling around to functions.  You sound like you know about parents back in the day.  I guess I was around  different kind of parents than you were. True they did dicipline their children. 

@qvcaddition wrote:

@Love to Run

@Love to Run wrote:

@qvcaddition wrote:

@qvcaddition Obviously if someone were transporting multiple children they would be less likely to forget an infant strapped in a car seat. This trend has only begun with the advent of child restraint laws.                                                 https://www.aboutlawsuits.com/child-hot-car-deaths-66987/

I have no idea what disciplining one's children has to do with this.

"The good thing about Science is that it's true, whether or not you believe in it."
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Esteemed Contributor

@hckynutjohn wrote:

Depending on more electronic devices to take over for a child's parents! It could probably be done, but every parent doesn't place their child exactly the same, and! Each vehicle is unique in many ways.

If parents need some type of wake up alarm, to remember their child in the back seat? Go to an Auto Electronics Shop and they can customize whatever type you need to make you aware, "HEY! your child is in the back seat". Or whatever message will wake you up.

It shouldn't be up to the auto manufacturers to have all these electronics as an option in all their vehicles. These Auto Shops would be more than happy to customize whatever you think you need. Turn the car off and you hear the "Gong Show" sound with built in volume, loud enough to wake up these parents, maybe the whole neighborhood or parking lot. 

This time of the year is by far the most dangerous time for these outrageous things to happen to children. Any parent that has a tendency towards forgetting things? Get something installed to shock you into reality when your children are involved.

The time is now!

hckynut  🇺🇸

They have other options at their disposal sometimes too. 

A.  Stay home with your children if it's so cumbersome to take them inside as you need to run errands

B.  Don't have children you can't give the proper care for

C.  Two parent household?  Take turns running errands

D.  My favorite:  Take them with you when it's time to get out and run an errand.  Keep baby's or child's stroller in trunk of car.  If the child can walk, hold it's hand and go into stores to run your errands and come on out.

It's likely they do the same thing to their children in winter months if where they live gets cold.  Parents must keep an eye for their children and keep them with them when out.  Anything else is NEGLECT.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Trusted Contributor

Happens all the time in AZ where it's over 105 degrees most days right now.  Some police officers have left their police dogs in the car and they've died.

It's so odd to me too.   Today, I had to pick up my contacts from the optical place and I drove home to drop them off first before I did other errands, so not to leave THEM in a hot car.  I have no idea how you forget your child. I guess the same parents whose kids are found drowned in a pool without a fence.

It's absolutely horrible and parents should have some culpability. 

Honored Contributor

Never underestimate human stupidity. And lack of common sense. And a fundamental inability to connect cause and effect.

The dumb parents weren't thinking. When they left the child behind, the car was cool from air conditioning, so they didn't think about it. They failed to think ahead.

We do need to build idiot-proof solutions -- if we really care about children not dying. It boils down to how much you think a human life is worth.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

Last year after a string of these horrific deaths of babies and small children, some company was supposed to be working on a sensor that would be in cars that would beep if the car seat was not unbuckled when the car was turned off. Smart idea, but am guessing none of these people were in new cars. One woman whose four year-old died after three hours in the car while she shopped in Target and it was over 100 degrees outside, seemed to blame her child's saying he knew how to get out of the car but he just didn't get out. The child locks were on, so he was trapped. There is a special place for someone like her...😡