Honored Contributor

Re: Childen Left in Cars To Die

@hckynutjohn 

I would wager you have never forgotten one of your cats in the car.

Honored Contributor

I remember a time years ago, shopping with my sister.  We were in a parking lot, going to my car, and saw a dog in a car (hot day) whimpering and in distress.   

I was tempted to break the glass to give the dog a breath of fresh air .... then it occurred to me that the dog might attack us for breaking into "his" car!   

I can't stand it when I see family pets left in cars on hot days .... that is just WRONG.  Leave the animal at home.

Esteemed Contributor

@occasionalrain 

And you would be right. Cats are not known to like riding in vehicles. Of all of our many cats over the decades, there was only 1 that liked riding in them.

He was one of the very few of our outdoor/indoor cats. He roamed up to our townhome from somewhere, and he was not a young one. He was a BIG beautiful Maine Coon. He liked attention, until he didn't. We knew that was no way he would be an indoor only guy.

Once I saw him walking up the hill about a block from our townhome. I hollered at him, opened the door, and he jumped in behind my drivers seat. He was quite a cat for sure.

Lily our dog. She is not a like to ride one either. My wife takes her sometimes  when she goes to places that allow pets. I think Lily, more or less, puts up with it. I have taken her a few time to my nutrition store. I park where I can see her in our car or SUV at all times. 

Only go there to get my fresh natural ground Tupperware tub filled with peanut butter. Just stand by the counter until they have it filled and pay them. Never take my eyes off of her. Never take her in extreme weather, hot or cold. Only when I can put the windows down enough to let air through the vehicle. This usually takes less than 10 minutes.

You type 1 sentence! I type a novel. Can't help myself, and believe me, I have tried. Pretty much the same way in real life, just keep on talking.  🤔

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Iwantcoffee wrote:

What happens to the 8 year old with mom in prison? Who will care for her?

Her father, grandparents, aunts & uncles, etc.

This may have been a tragic mistake, how will prison resolve it? 

Teach her NOT make the SAME mistake twice maybe? 

Your statement makes it sound like--->OOPs!  my bad.  I made a horrible mistake.  I can make another one just like him.

By the way, prisons are filled w/people who have made tragic "mistakes."  You can bet your bottom dollar when released, they will NOT make the same mistake twice!  Just saying........

The greatest loss a parent can experience is the death of their child and then mom is sent to prison. A child is left without her mother and brother. What good is that?

Maybe being raised by more caring immediate family members. 

What proof that it was intentional?

The last I read, the DA is still investigating. 

@Iwantcoffee 

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

That she's sent to prison, just may be cautionary to other parents who will be less careless with their children. 

Esteemed Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ 

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@qvcaddition wrote:

I am now a Great grandmother, raised three children back in the day and we never had this happen that I know of and so common today.  When we took our babies in the stroller we had no cell phones and constanly looking at it like I see mothers today doing.  I have seen a few fathers with strollers, which didn't happen in my day, that is a nice thing, but they are not looking at cell phones.

It's a different world and not so much for the better. How can you forget your children are in the car? Too busy on twitter, facebook, snap chat, etc. Disgusting.

@qvcaddition  Back in the day most didn't know of these things happening unless it was in your area. The newspapers then reported town happenings. Now we know everything about everyone no matter where they live. There's no way people can say this has never happened before. You also don't know everyone is busy on Twitter, Facebook, etc. I'm not sticking up for people who left their kids in the car, but times change as far as news goes.

Was going to comment, but what is the use.

Esteemed Contributor

@Love to Run

@Love to Run wrote:

@qvcaddition wrote:

I am now a Great grandmother, raised three children back in the day and we never had this happen that I know of and so common today.  When we took our babies in the stroller we had no cell phones and constanly looking at it like I see mothers today doing.  I have seen a few fathers with strollers, which didn't happen in my day, that is a nice thing, but they are not looking at cell phones.

It's a different world and not so much for the better. How can you forget your children are in the car? Too busy on twitter, facebook, snap chat, etc. Disgusting.

Back in your day children weren't seated in rear-facing car seats in the back seat of the car. Your generation weren't any better parents than this one.

Most of the kids were in the back seat depending how many you were hauling around to functions.  You sound like you know about parents back in the day.  I guess I was around  different kind of parents than you were. True they did dicipline their children. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Perhaps these stringent child restraint guidelines need revising. I think it's absurd to have a child in the backseat, facing away from you.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@BoopOMatic wrote:

Perhaps these stringent child restraint guidelines need revising. I think it's absurd to have a child in the backseat, facing away from you.

A small child is much less likely to die or be seriously injured when in a rear-facing seat. The back of the safety seat will cradle the baby's head, neck, and torso in a crash. Rear facing is recommended for up to age two.

“The fear of becoming old is born of the recognition that one is not living now the life that one wishes. It is equivalent to a sense of abusing the present.” Susan Sontag
Honored Contributor

@BoopOMatic  It's the "infants" who were faced away from the parents in car seats.  Being faced that way is the safest.  Air bags kill front faced infants when inflated was one reason.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif