Trusted Contributor

Re: Childen Left in Cars To Die

One's position is only one factor is whether an injury occurs; people drive way too fast nowadays and they are often distracted.

I don't think it's safe to have them in the back, facing away. If they were beside you in the front seat, you wouldn't be able to "forget" them.........

Esteemed Contributor

@BoopOMatic wrote:

One's position is only one factor is whether an injury occurs; people drive way too fast nowadays and they are often distracted.

I don't think it's safe to have them in the back, facing away. If they were beside you in the front seat, you wouldn't be able to "forget" them.........

That's true.  However, those front seats do have airbags.  Thus, the reasoning for having children in the properfly fitted car seats in the back.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Esteemed Contributor

I'll say this much....if you have to run around and run errands and you're too lazy to take the kid out of the car to go with you in and out of stores or to work, donate plasma, or do whatever, then stay your behind home.  Wait till your spouse is home to run errands.  If the kids can't go inside of where you're going, then just don't go.  Periodtttt.  In one of the stories I posted BOTH parents went into a store and left the kids.  What's wrong with that picture?

Trusted Contributor

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@BoopOMatic wrote:

That's true.  However, those front seats do have airbags.  Thus, the reasoning for having children in the properfly fitted car seats in the back.

I thought airbags could also be quite dangerous for children, if deployed?

I think driving at a reasonably slow speed, putting your cellphone down, radio off, etc., are much better methods to maintain safety than these backward-facing seats.

Esteemed Contributor

@BoopOMatic wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@BoopOMatic wrote:

I thought airbags could also be quite dangerous for children, if deployed?

I think driving at a reasonably slow speed, putting your cellphone down, radio off, etc., are much better methods to maintain safety than these backward-facing seats.

They can be dangerous for children, that is the reason it is preferred they be in the back (because the dangerous airbags for children in the front).

Trusted Contributor

Many parents/caregivers use this type of mirror. It works great, and is around $15.00.

20AF841E-C194-4C4C-B3FD-3234C6A4BAB0.jpeg

“Children do not start wars, and they cannot end them, but they always pay the highest price.”  Catherine Russell, UNICEF Executive Director
Esteemed Contributor

@paixmcdao wrote:

Many parents/caregivers use this type of mirror. It works great, and is around $15.00.

20AF841E-C194-4C4C-B3FD-3234C6A4BAB0.jpeg

Exactly @paixmcdao !!!  I'm sick to death of reading about these children dying and getting sick because of their negligent parents.  It is a form of negligence and they should be punished.

Honored Contributor

Well, it seems to me that the fastest way to make this situation safer would be to have a little alarm in the kid's car seat signal either the car computer or the parent's phone when the engine was turned off.   

A little beep ... beep ... beep .... beep  ... would be hard to ignore.

Trusted Contributor

@gertrudecloset  I see what you were saying, I got my wires crossed for a min. I guess it's the excitement of the Q board.......Smiley Tongue

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Depending on more electronic devices to take over for a child's parents! It could probably be done, but every parent doesn't place their child exactly the same, and! Each vehicle is unique in many ways.

If parents need some type of wake up alarm, to remember their child in the back seat? Go to an Auto Electronics Shop and they can customize whatever type you need to make you aware, "HEY! your child is in the back seat". Or whatever message will wake you up.

It shouldn't be up to the auto manufacturers to have all these electronics as an option in all their vehicles. These Auto Shops would be more than happy to customize whatever you think you need. Turn the car off and you hear the "Gong Show" sound with built in volume, loud enough to wake up these parents, maybe the whole neighborhood or parking lot. 

This time of the year is by far the most dangerous time for these outrageous things to happen to children. Any parent that has a tendency towards forgetting things? Get something installed to shock you into reality when your children are involved.

The time is now!

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)