Honored Contributor

@staciesmom......have a few questions.....

1.  Why didn't your DH take the car to the dealer?

2,  Did your DH get any references from any of their customers?

3.  Did you all check with the BBB to see if there have been any complaints on that repair place?

4.  How old is this car?

5.  Did they give you a loaner to use?

Remember, if your attorney handles this for you, it will cost you some $$$$.....

Personally, I would go get my car NOW....and get it in my possession....even if you can't drive it, it could be towed to your home.  

Just a few things for you to ponder about this afternoon.

Valued Contributor

I'd be on the phone daily with the dealership. If there's no satisfaction with the body shop go up the chain of command.  Last thing that the dealership wants is a bad customer service score.  If body shop manager isn't responding, go to his boss, then up the stairs to the dealer principal or general manager.  What can your attorney do?  I'm sure they're threatened every day and have more $$$ and time on their hand than you do.  

Dealerships are scored and rewarded now on these things.  If this dealership is having a problem procuring the parts, perhaps the dealer further down the road would also have an issue.  

Good luck.

Helen852
Honored Contributor

Re: Car Repair Problem

[ Edited ]

@staciesmom wrote:

Thank you everyone for the great responses. I need to clarify that this car is a model that had to be worked on at the dealership because there were not many made and the problem was with the roof closing. Our local repair shop could not help. I am going to contact a news station consumer advocate this morning. My issue is not only with the amount of time they have had the car, but with the lack of communication (none). I will post an update soon I hope. Thanks again so much!

Hi @staciesmom - is this repair shop on Facebook?  Might help to ask them for an update and better communication publicly.  Companies seem to respond MUCH faster to a consumer complaint made on social media.

Honored Contributor

Re: Car Repair Problem

[ Edited ]

@Helen852......Believe OP said it was taken to a repair shop.....not the dealership.  There is a big difference between a repair shop and dealership.  I certainly wouldn't have waited this long before doing something about it.  Instead of spending time on here, maybe it would behoove she and her DH to go get their car....then deal with this situation when they get the car back in their possession....be it repaired or not....

Respected Contributor

@ShowMe

Her first post said repair shop, but later in post #22 she clarified that because it has limited manufacturing the dealership has to do the repair.

Honored Contributor

@Allegheny wrote:

@ShowMe

Her first post said repair shop, but later in post #22 she clarified that because it has limited manufacturing the dealership has to do the repair.

@Allegheny.....well if that's the case, I would have been pounding on the office door of the owner of that dealership.  Apparently this was a special edition....and they should have given them a loaner until theirs was fixed.  If their car is driveable, I would go get it and have them call me when it is fixed.  Looks to me like this has her more upset than her DH......

Boy, glad that is them and not me......

Honored Contributor

@Allegheny wrote:

@ShowMe

there are lots of things involved here that COULD slow down the process, especially due to the fact that this is a "special car" and not lots of them made perhaps. this can create problems obtaining parts, especially brand name parts. if it is something that is no longer manufactured, it can be a big issue......then they have to try to find used parts.

she did not say the age of the car or mention what make/model the car is.

sometimes parts have to be obtained  from overseas. again, lots of variables involved. if the only other dealer that can repair this car is 1 1/2 hours away, she may just have to call them to get an estimate and see if THEY can possibly obtain the part.....or she may have the exact same problem.

we had a maserati once......when they did a joint effort with chrysler. parts for that car were so difficult to find. they only made them for two years. we actually found a damaged second one that was identical. we ended up buying that car also to store and use for parts.

i dont know what a lawyer would do......she can go and get the car anytime.....repaired or not repaired. if the part is difficult to obtain, there is not a lot that can be done to speed up the process.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein