Respected Contributor

@Daisy wrote:

@MaRina wrote:

I don't think the  new generation sends out Thank You cards. We've been to a few weddings and baby showers, and if we couldn't go we'd still send a gift, only received one Thank you from my bff's daughters baby shower. What she did was clever, at the shower everyone filled out a envelope with their address. 

That's something I wouldn't ask anyone to do. I don't think it's right.

@Daisy Sunflower my friends daughter who the baby shower was for May not have had all the address or correct ones for her mom's friends etc. She wanted to make sure EVERYONE got a Thank you card. She did personalize a beautiful note inside! 

It took two seconds of our time to fill it out no biggie! 

Honored Contributor

@MaRina wrote:

Diaper Raffle is you bring a package of diapers in exchange for a raffle ticket for a cheap dollar store prize.

I don't think the  new generation sends out Thank You cards. We've been to a few weddings and baby showers, and if we couldn't go we'd still send a gift, only received one Thank you from my bff's daughters baby shower. What she did was clever, at the shower everyone filled out a envelope with their address. 

She did send bridal shower and wedding thank you cards - in a timely fashion!

Respected Contributor

@MaRina wrote:

@Daisy wrote:

@MaRina wrote:

@Daisy Sunflower my friends daughter who the baby shower was for May not have had all the address or correct ones for her mom's friends etc. She wanted to make sure EVERYONE got a Thank you card. She did personalize a beautiful note inside! 

That is how it is done here. I think it is a great idea. Nobody has ever acted offended, in fact, they are pleased that the honoree cares about sending a thank you note to the correct address.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Baby Shower Invite

[ Edited ]

@MaRina wrote:

my friends daughter who the baby shower was for May not have had all the address or correct ones for her mom's friends etc. She wanted to make sure EVERYONE got a Thank you card. She did personalize a beautiful note inside! 

I understand what you're saying, but I would have asked my mom for her friends' addresses or checked online if need be.

I know some think otherwise, but it's not something I would ask guests to do before they leave. I feel that would be my job, not theirs.Smiley Happy

Frequent Contributor

I understand what you're saying, but I would have asked my mom for her friends' addresses or checked online if need be.

I know some think otherwise, but it's not something I would ask guests to do before they leave. I feel that is my job, not theirs.Smiley Happy

I agree with you.  I think finding out the correct address is the job of the person being showered. 

Basically, somehow the invitees were notified about the shower.  If they were able to receive an invitation, the hostess or Mom to Be should be able to find out how to send them a thank you note.  If you were able to find out their address to send them an invitation, you should be able to do the same with thank you cards. 

Esteemed Contributor

The raffle is fun in addition to the games.  Participation is not mandatory.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Baby Shower Invite

[ Edited ]

I learned something new!  I had never heard of a diaper raffle.  I have gone to showers where they ask you to subustitue any card with a favorite children's book for baby's library.

For really dear friends I give a baby gift that is fun for me to put together and includes a little of many needed things.  I do the “Twelve Days of Baby” I start with 12 diapers dripping (I provide a dozen cloth diapers to tuck away as a “just in case” stash & the dripping is to be provided by the baby).  I do five teething rings and I end with a rubber ducky in a bath tub.  Other items I included are bibs for burping; rattles rattling; for hens-a-lying I find stuffed animals of little chickens; I found little blankets with lambs-a-leaping; I use baby bottles for maids-a-milking, etc..  Some items change depending upon what I can find, but I have so much fun hunting for each item and then I wrap each “day” individually. I put a little note inside stating my take on the verse for that day…On the 12th day before baby my good friend gave to me…12 diapers dripping”.    I have the mom start at the 12th day package and open that one gift at the shower and then tell her to wait until she thinks she is 11 days before baby’s arrival and then open one each day at home.  So far the parents have almost as much fun trying to figure out what is in each package as I have picking out the items.  In the end, it is not a cheap gift, but it is a fun one!

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Valued Contributor

@Big Joanie wrote:

We were lucky we could afford the kid ... my treat was 10.00 a day

extra for a private room .....

Same here, Big Joanie, luckily I worked at the hospital where both our boys were born & that was the only employee benefit, a private room for 4 glorious days! Our insurance covered a 2 bed room only, we had to pay ALL Dr's fees, OB & pediatrician! & no, NO maternity leave, only the sick & vacation pay you hadn't used for that year! 

Honored Contributor

@MaRina wrote:

@Daisy wrote:

@MaRina wrote:

To me, if people aren't close enough that you know their address, they shouldn't be invited to a baby shower.  To me, that's a gift grab.

Honored Contributor

@Havarti - very cute idea!