Trusted Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

A note on the bottom of the wedding shower invite - be a dear and wrap in clear.  I spent over 70 hours cross stitching a wedding sampler for them and not wanting to be different, took a picture and attached it to the package - she didn't even pass the picture around.  I was kind of hurt.

The baby invite says the same thing - I am making a quilt, so lots of hours involved and this time around I AM NOT wrapping it in clear or attaching a photo.....

@CelticCrafter  I don't blame you for being hurt after all the time you spent making such a wonderful, special gift.  And I'm sorry, but any invitation that states "Be a dear and wrap in clear" is rude in my opinion.  I would never ask someone to do that.

Even worse than that, a friend told me about a shower she was invited to.  The invite asked NOT to wrap the gift so that the mom-to-be didn't have to bother unwrapping.  Unbelievable!  Why bother having a shower?  Pretty soon people will start asking to just drop the gift off at the recipient's front door and drive away! 

Honored Contributor

@MaRina wrote:

Diaper Raffle is you bring a package of diapers in exchange for a raffle ticket for a cheap dollar store prize.

I don't think the  new generation sends out Thank You cards. We've been to a few weddings and baby showers, and if we couldn't go we'd still send a gift, only received one Thank you from my bff's daughters baby shower. What she did was clever, at the shower everyone filled out a envelope with their address. 

Oh, I beg to differ.  Perhaps those without class or who were not raised properly don't send out thank you's but they are in the minority.  However, some now send out their thank you's by email.  I don't like that idea but, we are living in modern times.  It's lazy but acceptable.  Having guests complete the envelope is something I have heard of but never experienced.  It's ok.  I don't understand it.  They found the time, strength and time to address the invitations....they can't do it for the thank you card?  But it's acceptable.    I was afraid that my older daughter might be tardy with the thank you cards for her wedding, so her new mil and I gave them a special little "gift".  I knew she'd get them out but I was afraid that work and the renovations on their house would get in the way.   While they were on their honeymoon, we addressed and stamped the envelopes for the thank you cards and made a list of who gave them what present, so that they could sign the cards and include a personal statements.  Her sister's wedding last summer was much smaller, just 60 guests which included several couples.  They wrote their notes and mailed them off a week after they returned from their honeymoon.  I have been to a few weddings where I never received a thank you card or note but that was some time ago and it was people that hubby and I worked with but weren't particularly close too.

Esteemed Contributor

I have only been to one baby shower in recent years. It was traditional and lovely: a Sunday afternoon luncheon and the mom-to -be was my niece. Diaper raffle is news to me. Sounds like a shake-down and in poor taste. It suggests that the gift you are bringing is inadequate- you need to add another $10.00 plus in diapers? Other posters saying that the hosts tell you how to wrap the gift, or not to wrap it at all? WT? The guest of honor opening her gifts and allowing her guests to share in the excitement is the whole point, is it not? 

I hope never to receive such an invitation!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Baby Shower Invite

[ Edited ]

When I gave a baby shower for my daugher her soon to be younger inlaws wanted to do a Diaper Raffle...but i refused to go along with that considering the guests would be bringing gifts and diapers are so expensive and i didn't think it was fair to ask them to be involved in an additional expense...........didn't regret it!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Baby Shower Invite

[ Edited ]

@LdyBugz wrote:

Pretty soon people will start asking to just drop the gift off at the recipient's front door and drive away! 

That's how I felt at the last baby shower I had attended.

Trusted Contributor

@Daisy Sunflower  That wasn't a shower you went to.  Sounds like a gift grab to me.   

Honored Contributor

@qbetzforreal wrote:

The raffle is fun in addition to the games.  Participation is not mandatory.

Nice to see a non-grumpy response!  Although I haven't been to a shower where I was asked to bring  diapers for a raffle, if it happens...I'll participate.  

The people who are complaining about the quality of gifts they get in exchange for winning....really?   It's just meant to be a small token, like the gift you might get for winning a game.  I got a bottle of body lotion at the last baby shower I attended because I got 1st prize in a game.  I didn't b*tch about it. I said, "nice. Thanks!"

Honored Contributor

@september wrote:

@qbetzforreal wrote:

The raffle is fun in addition to the games.  Participation is not mandatory.

Nice to see a non-grumpy response!  Although I haven't been to a shower where I was asked to bring  diapers for a raffle, if it happens...I'll participate.  

The people who are complaining about the quality of gifts they get in exchange for winning....really?   It's just meant to be a small token, like the gift you might get for winning a game.  I got a bottle of body lotion at the last baby shower I attended because I got 1st prize in a game.  I didn't b*tch about it. I said, "nice. Thanks!"

The problem is not the token gift, but it's buying another gift on top of the baby gift. Gift grab.

Respected Contributor

@Havarti wrote:

I learned something new!  I had never heard of a diaper raffle.  I have gone to showers where they ask you to subustitue any card with a favorite children's book for baby's library.

For really dear friends I give a baby gift that is fun for me to put together and includes a little of many needed things.  I do the “Twelve Days of Baby” I start with 12 diapers dripping (I provide a dozen cloth diapers to tuck away as a “just in case” stash & the dripping is to be provided by the baby).  I do five teething rings and I end with a rubber ducky in a bath tub.  Other items I included are bibs for burping; rattles rattling; for hens-a-lying I find stuffed animals of little chickens; I found little blankets with lambs-a-leaping; I use baby bottles for maids-a-milking, etc..  Some items change depending upon what I can find, but I have so much fun hunting for each item and then I wrap each “day” individually. I put a little note inside stating my take on the verse for that day…On the 12th day before baby my good friend gave to me…12 diapers dripping”.    I have the mom start at the 12th day package and open that one gift at the shower and then tell her to wait until she thinks she is 11 days before baby’s arrival and then open one each day at home.  So far the parents have almost as much fun trying to figure out what is in each package as I have picking out the items.  In the end, it is not a cheap gift, but it is a fun one!

Love this idea, going to file it away. So thoughtful, useful and cute. Did you see it somewhere?

Honored Contributor

@Havarti wrote:

I learned something new!  I had never heard of a diaper raffle.  I have gone to showers where they ask you to subustitue any card with a favorite children's book for baby's library.

For really dear friends I give a baby gift that is fun for me to put together and includes a little of many needed things.  I do the “Twelve Days of Baby” I start with 12 diapers dripping (I provide a dozen cloth diapers to tuck away as a “just in case” stash & the dripping is to be provided by the baby).  I do five teething rings and I end with a rubber ducky in a bath tub.  Other items I included are bibs for burping; rattles rattling; for hens-a-lying I find stuffed animals of little chickens; I found little blankets with lambs-a-leaping; I use baby bottles for maids-a-milking, etc..  Some items change depending upon what I can find, but I have so much fun hunting for each item and then I wrap each “day” individually. I put a little note inside stating my take on the verse for that day…On the 12th day before baby my good friend gave to me…12 diapers dripping”.    I have the mom start at the 12th day package and open that one gift at the shower and then tell her to wait until she thinks she is 11 days before baby’s arrival and then open one each day at home.  So far the parents have almost as much fun trying to figure out what is in each package as I have picking out the items.  In the end, it is not a cheap gift, but it is a fun one!

the "twelve days of baby" is such a GREAT idea! i may just have to steal this. do you have the unofficial song/poem in its entirety or do you just sort of make it up?

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein