Honored Contributor

Re: Baby Shower Invite

[ Edited ]

We did this for my nephews fiance, but we also bought a separate gift.....I have been to a few baby showers lately, and this has been at most of them. My daughter had a baby last June, and I did not have this for her baby shower......

Esteemed Contributor

I got a baby shower invite last week.I was shocked to read the note that was enclosed.It assigned me a baby stroller off of the registry to purchase! I called a friend who I knew would also be invited & she was assigned to buy a car seat off of the registry!!

We were both stunned.The stroller & the car seat cost $150 each.Neither one of us is close to the expectant mother.She is the DiL of a casual friend.The only time we met her was at her wedding 3 years ago.We never even got a thank you for the wedding gifts we gave the couple.

My friend & I decided not to go.We feel like we are being taken advantage of.We both called the person listed to RSVP. The person had the nerve to ask if we wanted the address of where to send the gift!! We both said no!!

Respected Contributor
Nicks mom: I applaud how you handled. Really nervy in my opinion. Question: I was under impression that showers were not to be given by immediate family. Is that incorrect? I understand how nice it must be to get those larger items at showers rather than waiting for birth. Makes sense, especially for people close to mom. Strollers, seats, etc are lovely gifts. Are some people giving themselves showers? Inviting people just because you know them seems out of line.
Honored Contributor

@NicksmomESQ OMG and HolyWow...

That's as bad as a wedding invitation my husband received from a co-worker.

#1 - it was only addressed to him.

#2 - the RSVP card had been filled in by the co-worker to show that only 1 person was attending

#3 - the RSVP envelope was not stamped AND the worst

#4 - A separate card was enclosed "If you are going to be so generous as to gift us - we prefer cash"

We didn't or should I say, he didn't go to that...

Esteemed Contributor

@Twins Mom I never heard that close family should not host the showers.Most of the ones I've been to were hosted by mothers & sisters.Only a few were given by friends.

@CelticCrafter I honestly don't know how people have the nerve to do the things that they do!! I guess they feel entitled.A lot of young people think that expensive things are owed to them & don't think it's necessary to even say thank you!!

I raised my 25 y.o. child the old fashioned way.He expects nothing & is very grateful for everything he's given.

Honored Contributor

Bridal showers are given by the bridesmaids and co-workers. Baby showers should be given by friends. No one, it seems, cares about etiquette anymore. They just look for opportunities to get gifts, preferably in the form of cash.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Baby Shower Invite

[ Edited ]

@occasionalrain@This was the rule when I grew up, married and had children. Many of the rules have changed its hard to keep up. Things change but not always for for the best

Push presents? The baby is the gift in my world.

Respected Contributor

if anyone does decide to gift diapers, please include a gift receipt taped to the box.  My granddaughter got gobs of diapers when she had her son.  She got so many small ones that he out grew them before she used them up.  Exchanging them for bigger sizes without a receipt was difficult.  After I knew that, I always tape a gift receipt on top of the box.