We were lucky we could afford the kid ... my treat was 10.00 a day

extra for a private room .....

Honored Contributor

@Big Joanie wrote:

Within the last couple of weeks was the first I have heard of the

new Mother getting a " push present" ... a gift for pushing the

baby out ....

Wow .. have times changed ....

Yeah!  That's a new one too and I really hate that term.  Thirty something years ago, hubby gave me flowers when each of my girls were born and that was that. Roses and baby's breath for baby #1....daisies from the supermarket for baby #2...lol    Fast foward 30 years and each of my girls expected....and got....an expensive piece of jewelry.  Just like engagement rings, push presents are the norm now.   

Esteemed Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

A note on the bottom of the wedding shower invite - be a dear and wrap in clear.  I spent over 70 hours cross stitching a wedding sampler for them and not wanting to be different, took a picture and attached it to the package - she didn't even pass the picture around.  I was kind of hurt.

The baby invite says the same thing - I am making a quilt, so lots of hours involved and this time around I AM NOT wrapping it in clear or attaching a photo.....

That was a very nice gift! I would have been a little upset that she didn't bother to pass around the pic.

Super Contributor

You know the term used to be " What's this world coming to ? "

I guess we are finding out .....and its not good .....

Honored Contributor

@Big Joanie wrote:

You know the term used to be " What's this world coming to ? "

I guess we are finding out .....and its not good .....

It makes me wonder what the gift situation will be when my grandchildren grow up....lol   Will they expect (and get) houses for wedding gifts and cars for baby shower gifts....lol

Honored Contributor

When an employee at work was having a baby, I purchased a basket and shopped for a lot of special items and made the effort to make the basket really beautiful.  A lot of thought/cost went into the contents....didn't even receive a thank you card.  Not the first time this has happened.  I now make it a practice to not attend these social events unless I am very close to the person.  At work we pay a certain amount of money at the beginning of the year to cover these type of events...I let that play out unless I have a close friendly relationship with the individual.

Respected Contributor

Diaper Raffle is you bring a package of diapers in exchange for a raffle ticket for a cheap dollar store prize.

I don't think the  new generation sends out Thank You cards. We've been to a few weddings and baby showers, and if we couldn't go we'd still send a gift, only received one Thank you from my bff's daughters baby shower. What she did was clever, at the shower everyone filled out a envelope with their address. 

Honored Contributor

I've been to three this year. For the first one we were asked to bring any pack of diapers and a Golden book. There was no raffle. I didn't mind that. There were diaper raffles at the second and third. I honestly forgot about it by the third, but I brought the gift I wanted so I didn't care. For all three I ignored the baby store registries and brought what I wanted! 

They are getting out of hand. The mom-to-be's sister hosted the first one at her house. That was nice. There was plenty of food - buffet style. But one of them had a sit down luncheon at a fancy restaurant that was more like a dinner! Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@MaRina wrote:

I don't think the  new generation sends out Thank You cards. We've been to a few weddings and baby showers, and if we couldn't go we'd still send a gift, only received one Thank you from my bff's daughters baby shower. What she did was clever, at the shower everyone filled out a envelope with their address. 

That's something I wouldn't ask anyone to do. I don't think it's right.

Honored Contributor

I do not attend baby showers.  I prefer to wait until the child is born before I celebrate.