Respected Contributor

Re: Are schools

[ Edited ]

@chrystaltree wrote:

Not in my town.  Schools have never closed on Halloween, which isn't a holiday. Our schools don't close on Veterans Day or Election Day.  

Our schools just started to close for election day a few years ago.  I'm a poll worker and it was probably the year they included "What to do if you encounter armed militia" and "How to handle threats of violence" in our training.  Frankly, I'm relieved they decided students shouldn't be in the building if it's open to the public as a polling place.

Respected Contributor

Our local schools don't have off for Halloween.  Parochial schools do have off the day after Halloween for religious reasons.

At least one local school no longer celebrates Halloween.  The celebration is called Fall Festival.  But once home, children still dress in costumes and go Trick or Treating in neighborhoods here.

Respected Contributor

Re: Are schools

[ Edited ]

@SharkE wrote:

actually closed on Halloween next Monday ?

Is Halloween considered a national holiday now ?

Not in my county in North Carolina.  Sometimes school systems will give Teacher Workdays and students are off.  Maybe that's what you're thinking of.

Contributor

Growing up in Nevada we had Halloween day off not because it was Halloween but because it was Nevada Day.  Several years ago we voted to have the Friday before Halloween off to observe Nevada Day.  

Contributor

Ummmm...no!  Must be an inservice or conference day.  We have one tomorrow to prepare for fall conferences.  

Honored Contributor

No.  Not any kind of holiday.  Religious countries (Catholic) have prayers for the dead the next day. All Souls, etc.   They might be closed.  Obvious in response to pagan festival rituals on Halloween itself.  There a favorite Hercule Poirot episode I watch in which children in the UK play Snap Dragon. The kids have to snatch up raisins with Brandy poured over and set on fire. For some reason, this never went big in the U.S.  Just the trick or treating. 

Honored Contributor

@KatieB wrote:

@SharkE wrote:

actually closed on Halloween next Monday ?

Is Halloween considered a national holiday now ?

Not in my county in North Carolina.  Sometimes school systems will give Teacher Workdays and students are off.  Maybe that's what you're thinking of.

yeah, turned out to be another "staff day". she had her

wording off. School is out, but, not for Halloween. 3 day weekend for teachers

Respected Contributor

@SharkE  A Staff Development Day means that teachers go to work today and have training. Teachers would not have "a 3 day weekend."

Honored Contributor

Man Very Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Some States call it "Teachers Work Day"