Respected Contributor

If a public school has chosen to be closed, their reasoning may be to avoid fall parties which are not easy to navigate , trying to not offend anyone.

Lots of schools are having multiple days off for fall break.  This is kind of new to me.  Used to be a day or two off for teachers conference makeup (teachers hold conferences two evenings for one day off). 

Election day off is probably for safety reasons since many schools are election sites.  

Trusted Contributor
@SharkE... I'm not surprised you asked this question because l heard on Spectrum news a few days ago...the metereor...ummm...the weather gal say... "The weather for next week's holiday weekend..." I had to think for a moment what holiday is she talking about???...and I was like "WHAT?!?! Now Halloween is considered a holiday?? I laughed out loud and said out loud... Where did she get that from??? Lol...
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Are schools

[ Edited ]

I have always considered Halloween to be a holiday.

The word does not by itself indicate that it is recognized as an official federal or state or municipal holiday.  To me the word means a day of festivities or celebration or remembrance of some sort, not that schools are closed.

There are dozens and dozens of holidays across multiple communities not given "official" federal status.