Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I've heard in some areas, certain religious groups object to Halloween festivities, parties, costumes in schools.  Perhaps they're closing to avoid the controversy?  If parents keep their kids home, the schools lose funding so they might as well close for the day.

@Kachina624   They would not close the schools; they would just ban Halloween activities.

No costumes, no party, no "horribles parade" for example.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

@Suzeecat wrote

Not that I am aware of.  That has always been the day for school parties as I remember.  Growing up, one of the "perks" of going to a parochial school was getting the day after Halloween off for "All Saints Day".

Same here. I went to parochial schools for 12 years. And 11-1, All Saints Day was always a holiday because going to Mass was mandatory.  The best part was that the local county fair gave away fair tickets to the schools and the parochial schools got our tickets on 11/1. 

Valued Contributor

catholic schools haave off because it is a hoy day

Valued Contributor

What?? No

Honored Contributor

My local Next Door Neighbor blog. I asked her what she meant . Awaiting an answer.

Respected Contributor

Re: Are schools

[ Edited ]

@mollymaggie wrote:

catholic schools haave off because it is a hoy day

No Catholic holy day is on October 31.
All Saints Day is on November 1. 
Trusted Contributor

I doubt the school would be closed for Halloween but maybe it's a teacher work day or something like that. 

Honored Contributor

The elementary schools where I worked in California are closed the day after Halloween.  You would be surprised how many parents keep their kids out 'till all hours on Halloween and along with all the sugar intake, the following day was always the scariest of the year for the teachers, lol.

The schools where I substitute teach here in North Carolina all seem to be open.

~ house cat ~
Trusted Contributor

Not ours.

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Honored Contributor

Re: Are schools

[ Edited ]

Not in my town.  Schools have never closed on Halloween, which isn't a holiday. Our schools don't close on Veterans Day or Election Day.