Respected Contributor

Re: Are My Expectations Unreasonable

My CC was hacked and the CU Fedexed me a new one overnight yesterday.  I got their message of when to expect it so I began to look for it around that time.  I happened to go track it and it'd been sitting at my front door for almost 2 hrs.   I was angry bc mine was a CC - how hard would it have been to ring and run.  My post office delivery guys do that and sometimes UPS does.

Super Contributor

I don't think you're unreasonable at all.  I know exactly what you mean when you say they flee like a thief in the night.  I've seen them do it!

Man plans. God laughs.
Super Contributor

I was told that the delivery people have been instructed not to ring doorbells now because of COVID19.  They don't want to touch the doorbell or even the door to knock.

Man plans. God laughs.
Trusted Contributor

@tiny 2 wrote:

@SuhseK wrote:

Years ago, a good friend of mine, drove for  UPS, part time. 

They were told never to ring the bell, because of day sleepers, babies and little kids, down for naps, people working from home, not wanting to be disturbed, someone ill,  etc. 

When he was new, he forgot, a few times, got a couple of real chew outs, that helped his memory! 

@SuhseK  Years ago they did not have people following the trucks around waiting to grab packages off the porch. This is a big problem for many today.

Hi @tiny 2 ,

I agree.

I have to wonder what changed regarding their delivery policies?

They would normally ring your doorbell, and then bring your package/s to you.

I live in an apartment, and the policy for any of the delivery companies was that they couldn't leave any packages outside of the building where anyone could come and take them.

Now, it seems to be common practice where the packages are left outside.

You can track them all that you want but they're still left outside, and if you're not home when they're delivered, then that's a whole other situation. Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

None of our delivery services ring the bell or knock.

However, my husbands chair is right beside the front window, so he usually sees them drive up, or walk up the steps, and is at the door before they off the porch.
Honored Contributor

I honestly don't want them ringing my bell.  I get deliveries up on my porch almost everyday and I get notifications on my phone when items are delivered....so I know to go look.

Valued Contributor

My notifications from UPS are not simultaneous and sometimes appear on my phone the following day. So if they don't ring the bell, knock on the door or anything like that - that a normally functioning member of society would do without thinking twice about, then I will not know of the delivery until that late notification appears on my phone.  Notifications from USPS and Fedex are simultaneous.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

yes

most of my packages are from fedex and if you sign up for notifications they will notify a couple of days before the date it is expected to be delivered  the morning of the day it is expected to be delivered and after it is delivered.

plus you can get informed delivery digest for USPS every day 

and ups emails

plus it is probably not good for people hands to be knocking all day  repetitive stress

Honored Contributor

So, I'm watching Live With Kelly and Ryan, they had on a UPS driver. He has been on the job for 20 years. When he first started out a driver told him you have to have your own signature knock so your customers will know it's you. He does a shave and a haircut, shampoo knock ( still does). I would take a knock or ring, I'm flexible!

Honored Contributor

Yes, I feel the OP is being a bit unreasonable. Just because she tips at Christmastime doesn't dictate she should be treated any more special during the year. Being a delivery person is just a job, plain and simple. No they don't "have" to ring the doorbell when they drop off a package. Their job is to deliver and that's all. 

"Pure Michigan"