Trusted Contributor

Re: Are My Expectations Unreasonable

@insomniac2 wrote:

I absolutely want to know if a package is being left!

I worry that someone can just grab it and take off with it for parts unknown.

That's what I commented on in my last post--packages just being left outside, out in the open. 

In my opinion, too many things can go wrong this way. Smiley Sad

Respected Contributor

@SuhseK wrote:

Years ago, a good friend of mine, drove for  UPS, part time. 

They were told never to ring the bell, because of day sleepers, babies and little kids, down for naps, people working from home, not wanting to be disturbed, someone ill,  etc. 

When he was new, he forgot, a few times, got a couple of real chew outs, that helped his memory! 

@SuhseK  Years ago they did not have people following the trucks around waiting to grab packages off the porch. This is a big problem for many today.

Honored Contributor

No one rings my doorbell either except for my mail man.  If he has a package that won't fit in my mail box across the street he brings it and my mail to my door. 

Yesterday had to be the topper - I heard a truck and then a thud.  I looked out and Fedex had thrown the package like a newspaper onto my front walk.  It was just clothes in a plastic bag but still......

Respected Contributor

@spursfan2 wrote:
I just thought my mail carrier didnt like me very much. Not that I care. But I thought that's why she never knocks or rings my bell. Hmm, so it's not just me! 😆 UPS knocks lightly & in the few seconds it takes me to get to the door hes in his truck & pulling out of my driveway!

This brings up a point that no one else has addressed: Does UPS have a requirement that their delivery MEN have to be hunky, handsome guys? I've never seen one that isn't good looking and without biceps the size of my head.

Respected Contributor

@GoneButNotForgotten True in my experience as well!  Love them hunky UPS guys! 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

It just amazes me how people will continue to complain about easily resolved situations.

If you don't want to hear a doorbell ring - don't have one.

If you are upset that people don't ring your bell with packages - either get a ring doorbell which will alert you whether they ring the bell or not (and will photograph anyone who tries to steal your package etc.), OR get the alert delivery notices mentioned numerous times on this thread.

Esteemed Contributor

I agree, the solution is extremely simple. That said, I would never take out my doorbell to keep the delivery person from ringing it. I want it there to alert me to people coming over to my house. If my delivery people had a habit of ringing it (they don't) but if they did I'd just put up a sign like @Kachina624 did but with the opposite message. 

Speaking of which, and this may be a weird comment, but @Kachina624 , I didn't know you had dogs. Not sure why that makes me happy but it does. Maybe because I love dogs so much and I can't recall hearing you mention them before. Not that I should have, or you should have, or anything, lol. I just like hearing about people's dogs!  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

It just amazes me how people will continue to complain about easily resolved situations.

If you don't want to hear a doorbell ring - don't have one.

If you are upset that people don't ring your bell with packages - either get a ring doorbell which will alert you whether they ring the bell or not (and will photograph anyone who tries to steal your package etc.), OR get the alert delivery notices mentioned numerous times on this thread.

I tend to agree. I feel they can't win no matter what they do. People will complain if they do ring the bell that it scares their kids, dogs, etc. and others if they don't.

Honored Contributor

@SusieQ_2    I am a huge dog lover and am over in the Pet Lovers Forum a lot.  For years, I've worked with collie rescue here and had a series of collies.  The big dogs got to be too much for me so now I have a couple of rescues, a maybe mixed sheltie and a mini Aussie.  They are my family and we adore each other.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

True. Even if someone doesn't have or want a Ring doorbell or on-line/smartphone or other notification method, they can adapt to the sutuation. Getting in an uproar is not going to help.