Respected Contributor

Re: Are My Expectations Unreasonable

Nobody rings our bell and I get alot of deliveries.  Thr dogs let me know someone is here.  One thing people might not know is the drivers are given

their schedule and are alotted so much time per delivery.  No time to chat and be pleasant just get back in the truck and get to next stop.  

Trusted Contributor

@Jordan2  I don't think so; I agree with you. There was a time when EVERY delivery person would knock HARD or ring the doorbell (if we had one). Now? Nothing. We've had items ruined due to being outside in the heat/direct sun because we had no idea it was delivered. I don't have a smart phone so no app is going to help me. Just knock on the freaking door!

But they don't. Pain in the tush.

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

A Ring doorbell would solve your problem.  It not only lets you know someone is at your door (without their ringing the bell), you can talk to them via your phone - and you have a picture recording.

It is ALWAYS easier to change your own behavior than change that of others and when it also completely solves your problem - it's definitely worth it.

Respected Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

So feel free to tell me I'm wrong, I can take it! It seems when I am expecting a package delivery no one rings the bell. I live in a private house, I have no issue with my regular UPS delivery man, he always rings the bell and waits for me to answer the door (I give him a tip at Christmas). If someone fills in for him, they don't ring the bell. My mailman (who isn't very nice, I give him a very nice tip at Christmas because I'm an idiot) doesn't ring the bell. Lasership, Fedex also don't ring the bell. I don't understand why they come up the porch, place the package and flee like a thief in the night, what would be the big deal ringing the bell, I don't even expect them to wait for me to open the door, just let me know my package is sitting on the porch?

I get a lot of frozen foods from the Q, and   have to keep running to see if it came, because they will not ring my doorbell, which is right over their head. I did have a wonderful guy, who retired and I hated it. 

Respected Contributor

I frankly don't see the big deal if they ring the bell or not.  If you're like me and track orders online you know what day it will be delivered. Why not just go to your door periodically to check?  I do that because I admit I'm impatient for my stuff to arrive, and I'm in and out of my house throughout the day anyway.

Respected Contributor

Personally I prefer they don't knock or ring the bell because it riles up my dogs. Plus I get notices that things have been delivered and we have cameras out front as well. 
Maybe if you want people to knock make a sign telling them so or have one made. 

Respected Contributor

When I lived in California, my packages always arrived at my front door and my bell was always rung.  I live in the Southeast now and packages are left at either the front door, side door, by one of the garage doors, even behind a car once and yes, even left by UPS leaning against my mailbox which is right by my road.  I only mind the bell not ringing when it's food.  My Mom has me an auto delivery for steaks for years now and has ordered me other food items from QVC and UPS knows it's food and perishable, but they never ring.  That bugs me.  

Trusted Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

So feel free to tell me I'm wrong, I can take it! It seems when I am expecting a package delivery no one rings the bell. I live in a private house, I have no issue with my regular UPS delivery man, he always rings the bell and waits for me to answer the door (I give him a tip at Christmas). If someone fills in for him, they don't ring the bell. My mailman (who isn't very nice, I give him a very nice tip at Christmas because I'm an idiot) doesn't ring the bell. Lasership, Fedex also don't ring the bell. I don't understand why they come up the porch, place the package and flee like a thief in the night, what would be the big deal ringing the bell, I don't even expect them to wait for me to open the door, just let me know my package is sitting on the porch?

This seems to be the way that it is now with the major delivery services.

I have had the same experiences, where they don't even bother to ring your doorbell to see whether or not you're home.

They just leave your package out by your front door, for anyone to see. Smiley Mad

Trusted Contributor

@september wrote:

No one rang the bell at my previous residence, and it's the same way at my new home, unless a signature is needed, which is rare. 

what would be the point?   They don't have time to hang around to see if anyone answers the door.  Also as noted earlier, many people and pets prefer they don't 

If they rang your bell, you could be there to receive your package in person.

There's less chance of it being left just sitting outside somewhere out in the open, where it can be stolen.

I had a package stolen from being left sitting outside in the open.

I didn't even know that it had been delivered at the time. I thought that someone would ring our doorbell when the delivery came, but that didn't happen and the package was left sitting outside.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

As we see in this thread, opinions vary as to whether the ringing doorbell is good or bad, so the delivery person is left without a good solution that would please everyone.

These free services, which generate email messages and/or text messages when shipments are initiated, processed, are in transit, and are delivered can be helpful to augment vendor website alerts and notifications

and usually let us know immediately when the item is placed at our door.

I find that the delivery person usually registers the package online at the same time they leave it at the door, so at least most of the time I get an email or text instead of a doorbell ring.

UPS My Choice 

https://www.ups.com/us/en/services/tracking/mychoice.page

FedEx Delivery Manager®

https://www.fedex.com/apps/fdmenrollment/?locale=en_US 

Informed Delivery® by USPS®

https://informeddelivery.usps.com/box/pages/intro/start.action

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova