Trusted Contributor

Re: Anyone else having an odd-feeling week?

The week between Christmas and New Year's Day is unlike any other week all year. Most people are off work at least some, if not all, of the week. This year, Christmas falling on a Saturday felt weird. The morning after, stores were still closed since it was Sunday. I am ready for January 3 so I can get back into a routine. 

Respected Contributor

I know a lot of people feel that the week between Christmas and new years is kind of an odd week, but not for me.  I always take the week off the last week of December and the first week of January.   I love this time.  I get Christmas,  my birthday, which was yesterday,  and new years

Respected Contributor

Not just a week. I've been having an odd-feeling December. I've felt like I was in a time warp. The sense of losing time. Sometimes behind, then sometimes feeling things were moving along much too fast.

It's hard for me to believe the month is coming to a close, with projects left undone. NY will have to be a busy, catch-up time.

I'm sure the countdown pace of the holiday's has caused my mental disruption, but being retired has, too. When you don't have deadlines and time clocks to punch, perception of time changes. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MarthaStewardess Happy Belated Birthday. Hope you had a great day! Yesterday would have been my late husband's 57th birthday, so it was a sad day for me. 

@GingerPeach  I do think this was an odd-feeling week. How I am feeling today:

Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

Happy belated birthday, @MarthaStewardess 

How To: Floral Vanilla Birthday Cake - Chelsweets

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Respected Contributor

I think the week feels odd because Christmas was on a Saturday.  But since I retired I often am not sure what day or date is actually is as I have no schedule.

Tonight at dinner I mentioned I was going to the Library either tomorrow or Saturday as I have 4 books to pick up.  He said is the Library open on New Year's.  It didnt even dawn on me that Saturday was NewYear's Day.  The library is actually closed tomorrow too for NYE so I sure would have been surprised if I went Friday

Funny how time changes things.  It used to be that New Years was a big celebration day for me; now I didn't even remember that it was New Years when making my plan.

Valued Contributor

My 83-year old mother told me on the phone yesterday that the old-timers back in the day called the week between Christmas & New Years "the 13th month". A foggy-headed, maybe reflective, time-warp time.
Honored Contributor

@birdQ13 wrote:
My 83-year old mother told me on the phone yesterday that the old-timers back in the day called the week between Christmas & New Years "the 13th month". A foggy-headed, maybe reflective, time-warp time.

I guess those old-timers had it right, @birdQ13 

Tell your mom thanks!
I've never heard that phrase before but maybe it should be brought back.

Esteemed Contributor

@GingerPeach wrote:

@birdQ13 wrote:

I guess those old-timers had it right, @birdQ13 

Tell your mom thanks!
I've never heard that phrase before but maybe it should be brought back.

@GingerPeach 

I am closing in on 83 and I have never heard of that month, or the "foggy headed ******** time warp".

Nor have I experienced any of it. Everyone, not withstanding their age, experiences different things, at different times, including this old cogger.

Life and times to me "are what they are, or "aren't what they aren't", period.

hckynut 🥅🏒🥂

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hckynutjohn 

Have you seen the article in The Atlantic calling this week a sort of "communal pause"?  
https://www.theatlantic.com/family/archive/2021/12/christmas-new-years-dead-week-romjul/621098/

Just found the story today while searching for "13th month" which was a phrase new to me. Obviously, not everyone is on the same page, as we know, and it's not necessarily foggy-headed either.