Esteemed Contributor

Re: Amazon Imposes Rules For Contract Drivers!

[ Edited ]

They trust the same people to work the warehouses and pick the packages and ready them to ship.  Wonder if they will be subject to these cleanliness rules.  I'll bet this might be the impetus for this move.  If the warehouse workers must maintain a certain decorum and standard of cleanliness (because they work so closely together); then I'll bet money they are just enforcing this across the board in ALL non office positions (which includes drivers).

I don't think Amazon called anyone a pervert though.  The Drivers represent the company and they can refuse a job if they don't want to abide.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

I've never been close enough to an Amazon delivery person to notice their personal hygiene habits or lack of it.  They ring put the package on the porch ring the bell or textme and they are gone.  If I get their fast enough, I see the car or truck driving down away.  

Honored Contributor

"Additionally, drivers are also supposed to abstain from any "obscene" posts on social media, according to the report."

This statement is so nebulous.  Do they provide their definition of "obscene"?  The list of things that people consider objectionable seems to change daily, so a very detailed definition would be needed. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

"Additionally, drivers are also supposed to abstain from any "obscene" posts on social media, according to the report."

This statement is so nebulous.  Do they provide their definition of "obscene"?  The list of things that people consider objectionable seems to change daily, so a very detailed definition would be needed. 

@Icegoddess I don't think it will matter.  They have a list I'm sure.  I believe it will be the worst cases.  Either way, no harm will come to Amazon.  They can fire at will in all states except 1.

Respected Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

I just feel bad for them that they don't even have time to take bathroom breaks.

Many are independent contractors that own their own routes.  They can take bathroom and meal breaks.

Many in our area work as a team, one drives and one gets the next package ready and runs it to the address.

Super Contributor

My complaint has nothing to do with cleanliness, etc.  There is one Amazon driver that delivers in my neighborhood who BLARES his "music"...rapping/hip hop.  It's so loud you can hear him coming a block away, not kidding.  Then he leaves the van door open while he delivers a package so everyone can "enjoy" his music even more.  Hope he enjoys his old age being deaf.

Man plans. God laughs.
Esteemed Contributor

@caroln242 wrote:

My complaint has nothing to do with cleanliness, etc.  There is one Amazon driver that delivers in my neighborhood who BLARES his "music"...rapping/hip hop.  It's so loud you can hear him coming a block away, not kidding.  Then he leaves the van door open while he delivers a package so everyone can "enjoy" his music even more.  Hope he enjoys his old age being deaf.

Take license plate # and report him.  Not hard.  I would! @caroln242 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just don't think these are untoward expectations.  I was a Jazzercise instructor, a franchisee of the corporation, and my status for tax purposes was "independent contractor".  I agreed to a bunch of rules that governed my persona both professionally and personally.  We were brand ambassadors wherever we went, and those of us who cared tried to uphold the standard.

I worked for a local small business for many years.  With the advent of social media, the powers that be were constantly monitoring for mentions of the company that were unfavorable - and often, they were right to step in, as some of the cwap people posted boiled down to petty workday disputes, not actual, granular, problems with the company writ large.

And even though I worked a dirty job (though if you get good enough you don't get as dirty) it was always impressed upon us, in my field (retail horticulture), that to show up in tattered clothes and a lack of grooming showed a lack of professionalism, and cast an unfavorable light on the trade in general.  I wore a uniform every day and tried my best to represent the company well.  I think it matters and the privilege is to serve, not just whine about "personal freedom".

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

Doesn't bother me one bit.  I don't want some filthy, dirty, unkempt person delivering packages to my house.  Look at the FedEx and UPS drivers.  Those should be the model.

Super Contributor

These hygiene rukes are basics. If someone were to take offense pver these rules I personally wou;dn't have them wprk for my company. whrther a contract company or not they represent Amazon so if they don't like the rule they should opt out of the contrct work. Now as far as the computer posting goes..ty is up to the employer. I do know in the current world situation with politics, etc. most are left unsaid....Just my opinion...