Esteemed Contributor

Re: Alligator vs Child

[ Edited ]

@ROMARY wrote:

I took a look at their website.  Beautiful hotel with a huge, vast amount of green grounds and trees right on a large lagoon's edge.  Quite pricey, but beautiful.   It's so sad.  Who would expect an alligator there, but looking at the website, I can see that it's a very natural setting for various animals to be very comfortable (in). 

I've also read that because of the alligators, the resort typically relocates the gators once they reach a certain size.  However, in this case, they must rethink how this done.

Edited to add also:  With 1.3MM of alligators in the State, humans are bound to come upon them at some point in time.  Florida is well known for its gators in the backyard....

*Call Tyrone*
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Law enforcement is giving a press conference on CNN.  They said the child was playing in the shallow water and his father was right near him.  The father saw the alligator come and grab the child and he tried to get his child away from the alligator.  He also called to a lifeguard for help and the lifeguard is the one who called 911.  The father also suffered some minor injuries while attempting to rescue his child. The police said they won't be leaving until they recover the child.  They have about 50 officers out along with helicopters, boats, sonar, marine units and some alligator experts.  It sounds like they put an alligator trap out in the water.  

The family was from Nebraska, they were there with their three kids and were staying at the hotel.

The Disney rep at the press conference appeared pretty disturbed and barely said two sentences when she spoke.  

Esteemed Contributor

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@missy1 wrote:

Disneyworld has gators in their park?

From what I've read no one can determine if the boy's family were guests on the Floridian property or not.  I would like to think they were.  Imagine, paying all that $$$ per night in order to mingle amongst people there for free?

There are gators all over.  The only way Disney can deter them would be like anyone else and that is with a fence.

The family was staying at this hotel.

Esteemed Contributor

@missy1 wrote:

Disneyworld has gators in their park?

This is so sad. The gators were there first.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Are there any eye witnesses?  This seems a little suspicious to me.  Surely every inch of Disney is covered by surveillance cameras.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I read the child was in a playpen and they decided to go wade in the water. The movie was over and the fireworks started. Were their other 2 children really watching their sibling then? Ages? 

Esteemed Contributor

I hate to say it, but I think that the only way that they'll find the kid, will be in the belly of the gator.

I can't even begin to imagine what the family is going through.

Accidents happen, sadly.

Honored Contributor

This situation is too awful to contemplate.   A parent would have permanent PTSD after witnessing an alligator snatchers a child.  Apparently since they're wild animals, they can pop up anywhere near or in water.  A perfectly innocent evening ends horribly.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I agree this is something no parent would forget and would probably always feel the guilt of not being able to save him.  It has been stated that the mom also jumped in to help but that does yet not seem to be a confirmed fact.  They did say the family has already been meeting with counselors.

Thinking about where and how they may find this child is almost too much for many to think about so imagine how unbearable this must be for the parents.

A few minutes ago the sheriff did finally come and say that it is unlikely the child will be found alive.

Esteemed Contributor

Gators are opportunistic feeders.

They'll lie in wait, with their eyes and nose either right at water level, or just below it.

When they lunge, they can explode out of the water with a lot of force, and lunge five to six feet.

Once having fed, the gator can go a week or more before feeding again.

I don't know just how many gators are in and around this park, but it might be difficult to find the exact gator that took the child.

This unfortunately prooves that all it takes is for a parent to take their eyes off their child for just a few moments for tragedy to happen.

Unfortunately, sometimes there are tragic accidents with young kids.

My heart goes out to the parents.