Honored Contributor

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@terrier3 wrote:

WDW is a beautiful, magical place - which is why this whole incident horrifies me.

A co-worker has a time share there - they just sent him a voucher for an extra free night - worth $500. I imagine people are backing out of vacations now.

When I went, I never stayed at a Disney property.  I actually enjoy Universal Studios better (family was a little older). WDW projects "magic" and fun and so I agree that with all that beauty, management was hesitant to spoil it with alligator signage.  Too bad though.  They will recover.  They always do.  They are sued for other things.  It's the risk a company takes with such an offering.

I stayed at he Hard Rock at Universal once. It is also on a fake lagoon, connected to the other Universal hotels.

I don't recall seeing any signs warning about alligators in the water there either!

Valued Contributor

Re: Alligator vs Child

[ Edited ]

I don't think there is any way Disney could get rid of all the alligators.  There are over a million in Florida.  Relocating sometimes doesn't work, they return, and others can move into the vacated territory.  Alligators swim and travel on land.

I think there is a bit of fear hysteria going on.  Central Florida is home to hundreds of thousands of residents.  They all live in the vicinity of alligators, and alligator attacks are very rare.  They swim, boat, waterski, snorkel and wade in lakes and springs that are home to alligators.  They also know NEVER to feed alligators.

I do think Disney needs to do much more to educate and inform their guests.  Maybe those 44 square miles of "empty" Florida scrub wasn't such a bargain.  Disney could start by being honest and realistic about where they are located.  Central Florida isn't Anaheim, and those lagoons are not seaside beach environments.

Honored Contributor

Disturbing video: Disney worker fights off alligator near Splash Mountain

http://fox8.com/2016/06/18/disturbing-video-disney-worker-fights-off-alligator-near-splash-mountain/

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Does anyone know why Disney's signs have no mention of alligators?  No swimming vs alligators present are two different things imo.....

Esteemed Contributor

The beach lounges were so close to the water at the hotel, the 'gators could have walked over to them. If the parents are in the lounge chairs and the children playing in the sand, that's very close to the water. It's obviously an inviting setting for parents and children to play, with no signs of danger alligators anywhere!