Honored Contributor

Re: A product used in a unintended way

Old pantyhose can be used to tie up tomato plants or other vine-like plants that need staking.

Plastic bags newspapers come in can be used to pick up pet gifts or remove poison ivy seedlings when turned inside out.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

Re: The poster who is looking for marbles:  I was in a local D*llar Tr*e store this afternoon.  If I'm correct, I do believe that they had bundles of clear (not opaque) marbles.  At least, they looked like round marbles (not the flat bottomed ones, which they also had).  I couldn't get too close to the shelf because they had high stacks of heavy, unopened boxes of items temporarily stacked in front of the shelves in that aisle.  Visiting their website would be helpful, just to see if they indeed carry round marbles. 

Also at Walmart in the section where they have the silk flowers and vases. Also in the aquarium supply area. Toy section has marbles too, but they are usually multi-colored and LOOK like marbles.

Super Contributor

Aright....... ready for this one?   Preparation H  under your eyes is an old

beauty secret for puffiness of the eyes !   Serious !

@dex wrote:

I was reading how someone used gel toothpaste to wash their hands because there was no soap left.Apparently it went well so I got to wondering about all the other ways you ingenious people are using your stuff.I have been reusing a soap foamer hand soap container.I put in a ltablespoon of bath gel(have way too many) and fill with water....works great.So what new creative things are happening in your house?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Although I HAVE read the entirety of the thread, over the last several days, I don't recall seeing this mentioned (if it was, I'm sorry - I was paying attention but my memory is total krap now) - 

While I do use a Cybersonic toothbrush, I always have regular toothbrushes on hand and use them some of the time.   So, when it's time to replace one for toothbrushing, I never ever throw the old ones away.

I keep a couple in my bathroom and in my kitchen, for certain types of cleaning where a toothbrush can come in very handy.  It's great for grout, or other such areas that bind your tile or linoleum to the wall.   There are so many things for which I find these old toothbrushes very handy with cleaning, especially grimy-type stuff.  Which is why I keep the bathroom ones there and a kitchen one in the kitchen (never mixing them up!).

By the time you need to replace your next toothbrushing one, you can now trash one of the older ones you've used, especially in the bathroom.

You can just keep them packed away in the under sink cabinet in an old plastic cup or something, so they aren't near your other things.  Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Monistat anti-chafing gel for foundation primer

Honored Contributor

madzonie wrote:

Monistat anti-chafing gel for foundation primer

Remember, years ago here, that was ALL the rage!   I never tried it, but scores of women here were loving it.

Frequent Contributor

I also do this with my colored pencils  that I use with my coloring books.  Very handy.

Esteemed Contributor

I learned this from someone on the Beauty Board - Vick's Vapo Rub for rough/dry heels.  It works better than anything else I've tried.  I usually rub in after a shower, put on some cotton socks while i run around getting ready/dressed.  By the time I'm ready it's all absorbed.  

Honored Contributor

Oh, wait!  I just thought of this:  A tub of cheap chalk placed at the bottom corner of closets to absorb any moisture.  Also, charcoal briquets.  Only make sure that you place a mesh of some kind over the briquets, just in case clothing falls on top of them.  You don't want the black briquet powder touching your clothing; although it can be dusted off.  

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Oh, another thing:  Make a pouch/sachet of whole cloves and hang in your closet.  I have several that most likely have to be replaced, after all of these years.   I just cut out fabric squares and place the cloves in the center, then bunch it up and tie with a ribbon to form a pouch.  And I also have some tied into pouches using tulle/netting. Cut them into squares or rounds and tie to form a pouch.   Can used airy cheesecloth, too.  Any type of fabric that is airy and that will contain the whole cloves.   Also, inexpensive whole cloves can be found in the Latin/Mexican/and or International aisles in your supermarkets.  They usually have many clear cellophane bags of spices and cloves hanging on a rack. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).