Trusted Contributor

Re: 🍪 2020 Girl Scout Cookies 🍪

@Mz iMac 

Daisy? Never heard of it - and I, too, wore those hideous brown Brownie uniforms with the red tie!

Ms. Mac - Per usual, GREAT graphics and fabulous tone and humor in this post. Hilarious!!

Respected Contributor

I won't buy them and people who know me don't bother asking.  Same thing when the boy scouts are set up selling popcorn and snacks.  Pass.  Those cookies are awful by the way.  Those girls need to face that reality.  Lol. 

Super Contributor

@1Snickers wrote:

@Mz iMac   Aldis has a very good thin mint that's similar and cheaper, other types also like the coconut ones.

Also Aldi's have a peanut butter covered with chocolate that taste much better than the GS. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Mz iMac   I was at Aldis today and they had other types of their brand of G S  cookies but I didn't see the mint.🙁

Honored Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

I don't think the girls learn anything from the program.  I can't even remember the last time a scout came to my door to sell me cookies.  The parents do all the work which really negates the whole idea.  

perhaps now, but when my daughter did it she went around the neighborhood with me keeping an eye on things.  it was a good exercise in introducing  oneself, selling, order taking and generally learning to speak out.

now they are all petrified about door to door , selling  and most of it is done outside a supermarket.  but the girls still do the work, selling, making change etc . 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

My info came from my daughter's troop leader. I do remember that there was a LOT of discontent concerning funding between local troops and our Girl Scout council here back when my daughter was really into selling cookies in the 1990s. There were troops that were eventually disbanded by 2000 in our area, including my daughter's troop. There just wasn't enough funds and support trickling down from the council to keep some of the troops going. 

Honored Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

I can't remember the name of the lemon cookies that Michigan girl scouts sold a few years ago but they were lousy.  I used to work with a guy who had connections to a girl scout in Ohio and everyone I worked with placed orders for the Lemonades (sold in Ohio, not Michigan).

I'm not kidding - I was always down for 5 boxes.  Another guy I worked with ordered 2 cases Woman Very Happy

Once I retired, I didn't have access to my supplier and had to find some kind of lemon cookie substitute because Michigan scouts are still selling lousy lemon cookies.

Oreos lemon cookie and lemon thins come pretty close in taste to my favorite GS cookie.

@Bird mama 

Yep, those Lemon Oreo cookies are DARN GOOD! Woman Very Happy

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@CelticCrafter  Believe me, I have searched the national brands for something like the Thin Mints.  I was unsuccessful.

SIDEBAR:  I freeze my Thin Mints.  They go from the freezer straight into my mouth.  Yum-yummy

@Mz iMac 

The Keebler Grasshoppers are the closest I've found...and cheaper too....

Image result for keebler grasshoppers

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

I don't think the girls learn anything from the program.  I can't even remember the last time a scout came to my door to sell me cookies.  The parents do all the work which really negates the whole idea.  

@DiAnne 

I see the Girl Scouts selling cookies in front of Supermarkets and shopping center stores....The ones I see, the girls themselves do all the work....  the parents sit in a chair and play on their phone and seem to be there just there to drive them to and from.....

Frequent Contributor

The lemon cookies were a great idea but we didn't care for the taste.