Esteemed Contributor

Re: 🍪 2020 Girl Scout Cookies 🍪

They have gotten expensive. Around here they run $5 a box & the boxes get smaller every year. I did order 2 boxes of Samoas from a close friend's granddaughter. My son will eat them as both DH & I are avoiding sweets.

Honored Contributor

I don't think Girl Scout cookies are anything special.

Honored Contributor

Forgive me if I missed something here but I don't think you have a problem at all.  It's Girl Scout cookie time and we all have friends, neighbors, grandparents asking us to buy a box.  We can't buy for everyone.  So, we just say "no, I already bought some" and go about our business.  You shouldn't have made any excuses or engaged in a conversation about.  "No, maybe next year" is all you had to say.  Daisies and whatever about the Girl Scouts isn't a factor in this. 

Honored Contributor

@threecees 

Let's not get carried way, $4 isn't a fortune for anyone and buying a box or two to support the Girl Scouts or to help a little girl is a good thing.  I'm buying 2 boxes from girl I don't even know.  She's the granddaughter or my sister's friend. It's not about donation, it's not about tossing a couple of dollars at someone.  There are little girls behind those cookies, the selling of those cookies means something to those children even if parents and grandparents sometimes get carried away with the numbers sold.    

Honored Contributor

My son's American Legion  helps load the cookies. He said the amount of them in the warehouse is massive. They must do very well

I haven gotten any in years. I can't eat them now, and never really liked any but the thin mints, when I did buy them

Respected Contributor

I don't really care for them, but I will buy them to support my friends.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

@threecees 

Let's not get carried way, $4 isn't a fortune for anyone and buying a box or two to support the Girl Scouts or to help a little girl is a good thing.  I'm buying 2 boxes from girl I don't even know.  She's the granddaughter or my sister's friend. It's not about donation, it's not about tossing a couple of dollars at someone.  There are little girls behind those cookies, the selling of those cookies means something to those children even if parents and grandparents sometimes get carried away with the numbers sold.    

I don't think there are that many kids who are into selling the cookies; I think the parents are really into it, and make a competition out of who in the troop sells the most boxes.  In reality, kids can't go door to door anymore because of all the whack a dos out there, so it becomes a parent thing.

Also, when my kids used to sell them we were told how little each troop actually gets per box sold.  Most of the money goes to "the organization" which frankly, I didn't think had much to offer.  The troops are run by parents.

Honored Contributor

@faeriemoon wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

@threecees 

I don't think there are that many kids who are into selling the cookies; I think the parents are really into it, and make a competition out of who in the troop sells the most boxes.  In reality, kids can't go door to door anymore because of all the whack a dos out there, so it becomes a parent thing.

Also, when my kids used to sell them we were told how little each troop actually gets per box sold.  Most of the money goes to "the organization" which frankly, I didn't think had much to offer.  The troops are run by parents.

That's true.  Very few actually go door to door.  The parents sell at work, church and they have those tables set up at grocery stores etc.  It's all about the numbers each troop sells and I don't care about that.   Still, there have been Girl Scouts in their uniforms at every table I've seen, I have never seen one that have Scouts there asking shoppers to buy cookies.  That's all I care about.  Ok.  Sometimes I really do want my thin mints.  

Respected Contributor

I still have my GS sash from the 50s with all the badges and pins and I treasure it! 

I don't really care for the cookies anymore and Keebler makes a mint cookie that taste exactly like the thin mint.

They usually sell them outside at Walmart or if you on Next Door neighborhood website someone is always selling them.

Spoiler

Respected Contributor

Sounds like a rough neighborhood, LOL!