Honored Contributor

Re: 🍪 2020 Girl Scout Cookies 🍪

@beckyb1012 wrote:

The lowest level back when I started was a Brownie.  You had actual cookies in a cardboard box carried from door to door for a cost of .50 cents.  I wish I could remember how many cookies were in a box back in 1968 my first year.  I love girl scout cookies but so expensive.

@beckyb1012 

I have the same memory. I remember one lady who bought cookies from me every year pitched a fit when the cost of a box went up to 75 cents. 

Esteemed Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

I don't think the girls learn anything from the program.  I can't even remember the last time a scout came to my door to sell me cookies.  The parents do all the work which really negates the whole idea.  

Not in my area.  They don't go door-to-door, but they set up tables and the mothers stand back and oversee, but the girls do all of the work.  Answer questions, take the money, figure out the change, restock the boxes on the table, etc.  The girls are always polite, carefully taking turns and greeting customers nicely.  I think they're learning quite a bit. 

Esteemed Contributor

@1Snickers wrote:

@Mz iMac   Aldis has a very good thin mint that's similar and cheaper, other types also like the coconut ones.

Yes.  A friend of my son's told me about them, and I coudn't believe they would taste the same, but they really do.  And they're much cheaper.

I like to support the Girl Scouts though, and since I was a Brownie way back, it's a tradition for me to buy actual Girl Scout cookies.  So I buy those too.

Esteemed Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

@threecees 

Let's not get carried way, $4 isn't a fortune for anyone and buying a box or two to support the Girl Scouts or to help a little girl is a good thing.  I'm buying 2 boxes from girl I don't even know.  She's the granddaughter or my sister's friend. It's not about donation, it's not about tossing a couple of dollars at someone.  There are little girls behind those cookies, the selling of those cookies means something to those children even if parents and grandparents sometimes get carried away with the numbers sold.    

I agree.  They're more than $4 a box in my area, but that's okay.  I'm happy to support these girls, so I aways buy a few boxes. It's not as though it's a huge amount of money or an ongoing thing.  It's once a year.  I remember being a Brownie and selling cookies.  So I feel good when I do it.

Esteemed Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

I have been asking on local forums ,if any one is selling them, no answer.

There's a cookie locator website.  Put in your zip code and it shows where and when cookies will be sold near you.