Trusted Contributor

Re: Do You Prefer to Read an E-reader or Book?

Books!!!  I love the whole process of browsing through a book store, selecting a book that has captured my eye because of its title, its intriguing jacket, the inside cover preview and being able to read a couple of pages to get a sense of the author's writing style.  Then I love turning actual pages and being able to see how many pages there are until the next chapter.  I want the tactile interaction of a real book.  It's satisfying to me to turn a real page if that makes any sense. 

Trusted Contributor

Book. I'm at the computer most of the day for work so not up for an e-reader. I do have one but seldom use it.

Regular Contributor

Either one really. I read from my iPad mini because it is lightweight and the Kindle I have is heavy.  I like the fact that I can get a book instantly and began reading.  However if it is something that I think my husband and I will both enjoy I will get a hard copy.  Years ago the kindle was the least expensive but now that may not be so .  If its a book club book I will go with whichever is least expensive. Lots of books I get from sites where they are $1.99 or $2.99. I try to be careful there though and not clutter up my Kindle with things I will never read.

Trusted Contributor

I definitely prefer reading an actual book.I like holding the book, the pages, the smell of the pages and how a book looks on the table. 

Esteemed Contributor

E readers are kinder to old hands and can be loaded up with books you don't have in the local library.  And fit in a purse.  So they win for me.

Valued Contributor

I like an actualy book with pages.

Valued Contributor

I read/listen to a lot of books (approx 180 a year).   

For fiction, my first choices are kindle or audiobook versions (no preference between them, both have advantages) but I do have to physically read quite a few that aren’t in print now. 

For non-fiction, I mostly prefer physical books. I want to see illustrations clearly and I retain information better when it’s on paper.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

I just saw a short TV feature where they claim e-readers are not nearly as popular as they were expected to be when introduced 15 years ago.  They pointed out this may have saved the publishing industry. 

Which do you prefer and why? 

I have a Kindle that I love. I had corneal transplants in both eyes 2 years ago and it was great to be able to adjust the size of the print and the background contrast. It is so easy to order any book I want on Amazon and they send the book directly to my Kindle immediately no matter what time of day. My Kindle is light weight and stores multiple books. I always carry it in my handbag in case I have to wait at an appointment or I end up eating a meal alone. I used to read paperbacks, but the print became too small for me to read and I couldn't always get the books I wanted.Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I also like the feel of a book and it doesn't break if you drop it.  I have vision problems and the e-reading is very hard on my eyes.  The time I spend on the boards and other online activities are so stressing, by bedtime I can hardly see. 

I have a cover for my Kindle that protects it from an damage. Also, the ability to adjust the background contrast light helps to prevent eye strain. Have you tried a Kindle? You might like it.Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 , Ereader all the way!  S