Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Prefer to Read an E-reader or Book?

I want my books!  No e-readers for me!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Although I've owned a couple Nooks, I so definitely prefer a real book. I love turning actual pages; I enjoy seeing my progress as my reading sessions continue.

Honored Contributor

Book every time.  My mom tried so hard to get me into the Kindle when they first came out.  She even offered to buy me one but I said no.  I wanted to hold a book just like all those hours in elementary school reading my library treasures.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Trusted Contributor

I love my kindle. I have had one since they first came out. Books are great, but there bulky,can't read in bed W/out disturbing my hubby,and is easy to take anywhere.

Books are made from paper,just a waste as a lot of people just discard them eventually. Hubby goes to library,this is fine with me but buying books is a waste as we hardly ever read them again.

Valued Contributor

Kindle has been a real space saver for DH and me.  Both of us are avid readers, and I like to keep my books.  Kindle ha saved us countless trips to nearby Half-Price Books and the library.

The only downside for me is that I often don't remember the title and/or author of the book I am currently reading!

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624  BOOK, MAGAZINE, NEWSPAPER.   I got a Kindle about 10 -12 years ago as a gift and never used it.  Tried once but really disliked the feel of it. I LOVE to pick up an actual book, mag or newspaper.... I like the feel, and the experience of having something so wonderful in my hands.  A Kindle was too cold for me.  

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Since I read so fast my e-reader is my best friend.  When I am in the middle of a series I can easily get the next book in the series this way.  My daughter and son both love actual books.  But for me my e-reader has a new book in seconds for me and I can't beat that!  My kindles (I have 3) fit in my purse and make reading a joy.  I can set the font, lighting (so I can read in bed and not disturb my husband), make notes, organize my books by author, genre, or put them in their own catagories and it will mark them read when I'm done..  You can read reviews before you buy it and you can make your own notes as you read along.  It always knows where you left off so if you drop it you don't have to worry about losing your bookmark.  I have good covers on mine and have dropped them before and they are fine.  Not sure if they still have it, but they used to offer $$ towards a new one when you trade in your old one based on it's condition.  No more dusty books all over the place I can literally take an entire library with me wherever I go.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

I just saw a short TV feature where they claim e-readers are not nearly as popular as they were expected to be when introduced 15 years ago.  They pointed out this may have saved the publishing industry. 

Which do you prefer and why? 

@Kachina624 

Huh.  I'm not surprised.  Just because they come up with a new device doesn't mean everyone is going to stop reading actual books.  I prefer paperbacks to hard cover, as I like to read at night in bed, so a larger hard cover can be a little unwieldy. 

The only negative, iMO, is handling paper pages makes my hands dry and I use more hand lotion when doing more reading.

I remember going into Barnes and Noble about 10 years ago and half the books were gone and all they had were kiosks with their Nooks.  I want a book.  I prefer paperback as I slip them in my purse wherever I go in case I have a few minutes to read.  Just don't like the idea of reading a book on an electronic device.

Honored Contributor

Real books! I love libraries and bookstores. When traveling, it's nice to have a few books on my Kindle.