Valued Contributor

Re: Wen lawsuit about hair loss

I just want to add this, my Aveda stylist who also owns the salon and spa actually encourages me to use WEN. I have been going to her for 9 years now (if my math is right) and I reme the first time I got my hair trimmed, after being to use WEN in December 2009, she said was so impressed with how healthy and shiny my hair was. I didn't want to hurt her feelings and I sort of felt like a traitor because I had loyally used Aveda products for so many years. But then came the checking out, she asked if I needed anything and that is when my conscience could not take it anymore! I asked to speak to her privately away from customers and employes, we went into one of the massage rooms and I told her I had been using WEN. I was surprised to hear her response, she said in a nutshell, you should use what works for you and WEN obviously is working for you because you had gorgeous hair to begin with but now it looks so much more shiny and healthy! She hugged me and she always asks when I come in for a trim what formula I used before I came in and if I had tried anything new as far as the line of styling products. She also openly tells her clients who ask about WEN that she has a client (me) who has used it since 2009 and her hair has never been healthier or looked better. Smiley Happy So no she isn't out there selling it to every client, but she has no problem talking about it or telling her clients to give it a try and see how it works for them. Smiley Happy I also want to add my Mom has short curly hair and is a WEN user. She ran into Cost Cutters to get her hair trimmed and the stylist said, "Wow, for having really curly hair you have very soft shiny hair." She explained she uses WEN and she said, "I almost was going to ask you if you did, we have a gallon of Sweet Almond Mint in back I can cleanse you with." How nice is that!!! I would have NEVER expected to hear that from a chain like Cost Cutters or anywhere that was a part of a chain like Cost Cutters! So I guess some stylist do actually admit to liking WEN... Smiley Very Happy
Honored Contributor

I think Chaz will be on tomorrow!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Regular Contributor

On 3/20/2015 redngold said:
On 3/20/2015 Serena-1130 said:
On 3/20/2015 millieshops said:

I've asked several hair stylists about Wen, and I've yet to meet one that endorses or uses it. For people whose livelihood is the care and styling of hair, that speaks volumes to me.

Says nothing to me - unless they sell no competing products.

As far as a lawsuit - sounds like something that would be really tough to prove. How to prove it was the WEN that caused hair loss. How to prove the company knew they were causing hair loss and went forward selling a product anyway.

I'll be dead before there's a successful lawsuit - and probably cleansing with Wen all the way from now until then.

Well, since I asked as a friend, outside of the salon setting where there was nothing to be gained or lost either way, it does speak volumes. To me. But I get as a Wen user you're going to defend the product.

Well, the fact that I (along with thousands, if not millions) use the product successfully without reaction speaks volumes also. If a product's ingredients cause hair loss in general, we would all be bald by now. The fact that it's a handful of people (yes I said a handful, out of millions) speaks volumes also. It's obvious that some individuals just have a bad reaction.

I didn't say anything about the hair loss. My comments were about Wen in general, and that the hair stylists I know don't use it or recommend it.

To clarify, I meant that just as your hair stylist friends opinions speak volumes to you, my experience and the experience of many others speaks volumes to me.

Trusted Contributor

On 3/20/2015 Drythe said:

I think Chaz will be on tomorrow!

I think so too

live....laugh....love
Trusted Contributor

I think if you look at chaz deans hair, you couldn't possibly want to buy wen. His hair always looks dirty!
Occasional Contributor

The problem I had when using WEN was my hands would get very dry and cracked. I stopped using it and my hands cleared up. I believe it has too much menthol in it.
Super Contributor

On 3/20/2015 MJ 12 said:
On 3/20/2015 bruingirl said:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/wenhair.asp

I thought that as well - but that snopes is from Feb 2015 and a new lawsuit was filed a few days ago. And they mention the Q forums in the filing lol! Who are these lawyers!

I have been wondering whether some of the ""new"" posters and the more extreme WEN criticisms have been for use in the court case. Hopefully this is not lawyers suggesting this. Not the best way to present evidence for this kind of claim (nor the best evidence for that matter) and particularly if they are creating the evidence. Smells rather desperate to me.

Valued Contributor

I had significant hair loss using Wen. After one shampoo in the shower I was standing in ankle deep water my hair fell out that bad in clumps. I contacted Wen and was told to discontinue use as I was having a ""reaction"" to it. I stopped using the Wen and no more hair loss. Not bashing Wen ... just fact.

No thought is worth thinking.....
Contributor

I used nothing but WEN for six months, and I was not happy with the amount of fallout it caused. HAIR HAIR EVERYWHERE. All over the shower, my bedroom floor, my clothes, just gobs of it everywhere..so I had to quit using it.

Respected Contributor

On 3/20/2015 Still Raining said:

Right up there with the lawsuit some years ago by the escaped prisoner who hid from the law somewhere outside in the cold and got frostbite and sued the state because they didn't find him sooner.

LOL! And, a very wise statement.

Chemically speaking, I do not see one ingredient that would cause hair loss. If a user is allergic to an ingredient that's another story. I recently had a reaction to a cleanser a Bare Minerals rep rec'd to me while at Ulta. I stupidly did not stop use immediately believing it was minor. Two days later and I looked like a tomato. Had to go to the dr, get a scrip for oral and topical steroids. Who is at fault? The majority of the population who use that cleanser have no issues with it. I had an allergic reaction and it was my responsibility to be smart enough to stop using it. But, initially I wasn't. Still my fault.

So, should I abandon my part in it, scavenge around beauty boards and find a few others who had an allergic reaction to that same cleanser, grab a lawyer or two and file a suit? I guess some will.