Super Contributor

Re: Wen lawsuit about hair loss

On 3/20/2015 millieshops said:
On 3/20/2015 redngold said:

I've asked several hair stylists about Wen, and I've yet to meet one that endorses or uses it. For people whose livelihood is the care and styling of hair, that speaks volumes to me.

Says nothing to me - unless they sell no competing products.

As far as a lawsuit - sounds like something that would be really tough to prove. How to prove it was the WEN that caused hair loss. How to prove the company knew they were causing hair loss and went forward selling a product anyway.

I'll be dead before there's a successful lawsuit - and probably cleansing with Wen all the way from now until then.

Well, since I asked as a friend, outside of the salon setting where there was nothing to be gained or lost either way, it does speak volumes. To me. But I get as a Wen user you're going to defend the product.

Occasional Contributor

On 3/20/2015 redtabby said:

Despite testing there are still ingredients that some people are sensitive to. Plus, I think some users may leave the product on the scalp, Chaz does stress leave in on ends only. The majority of us can eat peanuts however peanuts can kill someone allergic to them. Should we stop growing peanuts? Unless intent or negligence can be proven I do not think a lawsuit will be successful.

This is my reaction as well. Especially with high quality/potent botanicals, people with sensitivities can have reactions. For instance, fresh aloe and tea tree oil are great for breakouts for a few days. But then they'll actually cause a severe rash if I keep using them. I can totally believe that people with sensitivities they didn't know about had scalp issues and hair loss. Chaz actually does a really good job highlighting the potential allergens and steering people to the right formulas during his QVC appearances. I suppose if you just bought the product from the Guthy Renker infomercial though, you'd never know that being sensitive to soy is a huge deal and might cause your scalp to freak out. At least I don't recall seeing warnings in the infomercials.

Regular Contributor

I've asked several hair stylists about Wen, and I've yet to meet one that endorses or uses it. For people whose livelihood is the care and styling of hair, that speaks volumes to me.

As far as a lawsuit - sounds like something that would be really tough to prove. How to prove it was the WEN that caused hair loss. How to prove the company knew they were causing hair loss and went forward selling a product anyway.

I'll be dead before there's a successful lawsuit - and probably cleansing with Wen all the way from now until then.

Well, since I asked as a friend, outside of the salon setting where there was nothing to be gained or lost either way, it does speak volumes. To me. But I get as a Wen user you're going to defend the product.

Well, the fact that I (along with thousands, if not millions) use the product successfully without reaction speaks volumes also. If a product's ingredients cause hair loss in general, we would all be bald by now. The fact that it's a handful of people (yes I said a handful, out of millions) speaks volumes also. It's obvious that some individuals just have a bad reaction.

Respected Contributor

One of the hairdressers I know used it and liked it. She started to get Keratin treatments and had to switch to the shampoo they recommend that you use with those.
Trusted Contributor

Honored Contributor

On 3/20/2015 Serena-1130 said:

Well, the fact that I (along with thousands, if not millions) use the product successfully without reaction speaks volumes also. If a product's ingredients cause hair loss in general, we would all be bald by now. The fact that it's a handful of people (yes I said a handful, out of millions) speaks volumes also. It's obvious that some individuals just have a bad reaction.

And that is assuming that the hair loss is due to Wen. As of yet no one has been able to prove hair loss from using Wen or from any of its ingredients and that includes the present lawsuit. If Chaz's legal team is any good they will move for summary judgment whereby the Plaintiff pays all of Chaz's legal fees and perhaps even a counter claim for slander and defamation.

Honored Contributor

I live with one who uses other salon products at work, but uses WEN at home.

Super Contributor

On 3/20/2015 Serena-1130 said:

I didn't say anything about the hair loss. My comments were about Wen in general, and that the hair stylists I know don't use it or recommend it.

Honored Contributor

On 3/20/2015 bruingirl said:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/wenhair.asp

I thought that as well - but that snopes is from Feb 2015 and a new lawsuit was filed a few days ago. And they mention the Q forums in the filing lol! Who are these lawyers!

Honored Contributor

I think a lot of people start using wen because they have hair problems already.as time goes on and these problems gradually become more noticeable then the hair products get the blame.