Honored Contributor

Cleanser--How important is it ?

Im trying to use up products I have  ( a lot lol) and scale down on what I use.

So how important is a facial cleanser? Can you just use something less expensive?

Thank you!

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Honored Contributor

Re: Cleanser--How important is it ?

@CherryHugs

I don't know that its the expense of the product.  I know people that use any old thing - bar soap on their face -- and they have no problems.  It's just whatever works for you.

I can't afford to buy really expensive products.  But I must buy fragrance free.  The fewer the ingredients and the more simple the better, for me.

I think if a person has little or no particular problems they are dealing with, then by all means use whatever you have on hand!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

Cleanser? It's important but you don't need to spend a bundle.

Neutrogena makes GREAT cleanser and you don't need to spend a lot or use a lot of it. If you are scaling down, their product is easy to find and costs about five dollars. I love it. Comes in fragrance free, there is a gentle formula and a regular and an acne wash. Something for everyone. You only need a small dab, the size of a pencil eraser, too. Lasts a long time. 

I don't buy department store luxury line cleansers. A total waste of money. I buy one good moisturizer for night--the rest can come from the drugstore, if they have fragrance free and it works quite as well. 

Esteemed Contributor

Another vote for Neutrogena Gentle liquid soap, have used it all my life.

Respected Contributor

It is important to clean your face but expensive does not mean good and inexpensive does not mean bad. There are lots of good cleansers in the drugstore at affordable prices.

Respected Contributor

I recently saw an article, possibly by a dermatologist, although I forget, that said you should spend your $$$ on creams and serums because the cleanser is only on your face for a short time.  I must admit that I always thought that was the case even before I read it.

The only caveat I'd add is that an exfoliator is important for me, although it might not be for your.  I just love Exfolikate.  It is the best I've ever found and really cleans off that top layer of skin.  It's too expensive, but if I could afford it I'd never be without it.

Respected Contributor

I have been reading on these boards about the destructive-to-the-environment plastic beads used in the Exfolikate and similar products.  Just recently someone posted their being banned.  Possibly there is a safer product out there.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Esteemed Contributor

Unfortunately, I cannot use a less expensive cleanser. Tatcha is my HG. Best my face has ever looked. I buy when it's on sale.

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@CherryHugs

I don't know that its the expense of the product.  I know people that use any old thing - bar soap on their face -- and they have no problems.  It's just whatever works for you.

I can't afford to buy really expensive products.  But I must buy fragrance free.  The fewer the ingredients and the more simple the better, for me.

I think if a person has little or no particular problems they are dealing with, then by all means use whatever you have on hand!  

I agree with you 100%.  My mother had beautiful skin all her life and never used anything but bar soap as a cleanser, and it was always whatever was on sale.  I, on the other hand, have always had lousy skin and have to be careful about what I put on my face.  Fragrance free is pretty much a must for me too, along with what you say about the least amount of ingredients and as simple a routine as I can get. 

I find the same thing is true with food for me also: the simpler and few ingredients are best for me.

Valued Contributor

@CherryHugs

I'm sorry, I don't remember who suggested this on another post, but I thought it a good advice.  They said if you want to know if a cleanser works, put whatever face makeup you use on your hand and then use your cleanser to see if it dissolves the makeup.  I thought that was brilliant!   In addition, I think it is important that my face doesn't feel "tight" after using a cleanser.  Those two guidelines (along with paying attention to the list of ingredients so they aren't scary) would be my goal.

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela