Esteemed Contributor

Cleaning out my skin care cabinet

I have been working on this today and egads, I have so many expired items.  I knew I had too much stuff!  This is a difficult process to find the shelf life on some things but I know it will be so much easier to keep track of what I need in the future and what I have.

I've got three small bags filled for the garbage and more to sort.  The cabinet looks so much better already.

Honored Contributor

Re: Cleaning out my skin care cabinet

@Snoopp wrote:

I have been working on this today and egads, I have so many expired items.  I knew I had too much stuff!  This is a difficult process to find the shelf life on some things but I know it will be so much easier to keep track of what I need in the future and what I have.

I've got three small bags filled for the garbage and more to sort.  The cabinet looks so much better already.

Congratulations!  Isn't it amazing how that stuff multiplies?  I'm sure I didn't buy all of it!

Best wishes with the project.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Esteemed Contributor

I did this last fall and it is working out so much better than I thought.  I had entirely too many bottles/jars of "stuff" and was overstocked on a few items that I hope have a long shelf life. The best thing was that I'm not running back and forth between the bathroom and my makeup table trying to locate something or discarding eye makeup because I purchased mulitples to have in both places.

i don't have a lot of storage space and my cabinets are small. I love seeing some empty space here and there instead of every sqaure inch of space occupied.  It got me started on an entirely different approach to the "stuff" in the rest of the home. The best thing is that my am/pm routine goes so much faster.  Everything is where it needs to be.  

Honored Contributor

Spoiler

So much skin care has no date of expiration on the container.....same goes for hair care, hair spray etc. is there a rule of thumb to go by so one knows when a product is past date? 

Esteemed Contributor

I've been using the cosmetic calculator site for shelf life for some things.  Sometimes I call customer service listed on the item to see if they can check it for me.  Truth be told, I am throwing most stuff out so I clearly kept things too long. 

I love seeing the open spaces in the cabinets too.  Up to four bags thrown out.  This job was long overdue.  So far, I only need to repurchase eye makeup remover.

Honored Contributor

Great job! It is so freeing to see less clutter and more open space, isn't it? I used to throw out stuff I didnt use but these days, as long as the item doesn't irritate me, I will mix it in with my body lotions/butters to use it up. I just did this with a few serums I've had that I didn't really like for my face, one being the Paula's Choice Hylauronic acid booster. I really liked it actually, except that I noticed that I'd eventually break out in a pimple or two and I NEVER break out except occasionally one right around that time of the month. But every time I took a break from it (to test my theory), the pimple would clear up and no more breakouts. I did this a few times and came to the conclusion it was the PC HA. But it doesn't do that at all to my body skin so I mix it in with my body butters to use it up. Those that irritate my skin I just toss immediately and don't put it back on the shelf.

Good luck to you!

Trusted Contributor

Good for you, Snoop!  I love cleaning things out and throwing things away, it's good for the soul!  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

We did a great cleanout of expired drugs and no longer used drugs in our medicine cabinet when our bathroom was done over again. I went through the drawers of the vanity too and threw out stuff as well. I can now find a few things again and its great to see not so many items per medicine cabinet shelf.

It's so gratifying to see some sense of order after the purges are done.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@JustJazzmom wrote:

We did a great cleanout of expired drugs and no longer used drugs in our medicine cabinet when our bathroom was done over again. I went through the drawers of the vanity too and threw out stuff as well. I can now find a few things again and its great to see not so many items per medicine cabinet shelf.

@JustJazzmom and others disposing of expired drugs, including OTC, please make sure to take them to a place that will dispose of them correctly and not just toss them in the trash. They aren't good for the environment when disposed of into the landfills. They get into our water supply and soil and cause alot of issues. Smiley Happy Most everyone probably already knows that but just wanted to put it out there. My local sheriff department takes them.

Honored Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

@JustJazzmom wrote:

@JustJazzmom and others disposing of expired drugs, including OTC, please make sure to take them to a place that will dispose of them correctly and not just toss them in the trash. They aren't good for the environment when disposed of into the landfills. They get into our water supply and soil and cause alot of issues. Smiley Happy Most everyone probably already knows that but just wanted to put it out there. My local sheriff department takes them.

@HappyDaze

That is exactly what we did-- I took it to our local STOP (Stop Throwing Out Pollutants) program in November. They sat in a plastic bag in our living room for months until the program came round to our area again -- it goes across the entire township and comes to various areas twice a year.

Throwing out drugs into landfills, or toilets wind up eventually into our waterways and reservoirs or aquifers.

*The next generation of people are going to be so calm from all of the tranquilizers tossed out* Tongue in cheek here. Woman Happy

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼