Regular Contributor

Funny how many Q beauty brands defy Paula's teachings

I have been a follower of Paule Begoun's ever since a terrible undereye reaction to some product I still haven't identified. My skin is perfectly fine ever since I started avoiding products with any of Paula's no-no ingredients (fragrance, lavender, menthol, mint, etc.) 

But it's funny to me how many of the brands QVC sells have these ingredients (and some even get terrible reviews on Paula's website for that reason), yet they tout her expertise. You can't have it both ways! 

I guess maybe they'd argue that some people don't have sensitive skin, and therefore don't need to avoid certain ingredients. But I had seemingly invincible skin that could withstand any product until whatever that one was I put under my eyes (was using several different creams and concealers at the time, so I really don't know what it was, unfortunately). Since it's well-documented that you can develop skin-sensitivity, I just avoid all commonly irritating ingredients to be safe. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Funny how many Q beauty brands defy Paula's teachings

[ Edited ]

I also think some people confuse sensitivity to ingredients with ingredients that are actually doing underlying damage.  I know many use the words irritation, sensitivity and damaging synonymously and that isn't exactly accurate.

For example, certain ingredients don't necessarily cause any type of visible or identifiable reaction, however, it can still be causing damage to the skin/cells, especially with long-term use. These long-term effects can include loss of collagen and can manifest as more wrinkles, less elasticity, sagging, etc over time. Most will not stop using a product containing these types of ingredients since they aren't visibly or physically "reacting" to the product.

Sensitivity or irritation with an ingredient can occur with pretty much any ingredient, including innocuous ingredients and ingredients that are actually good for your skin. The irritation or sensitivty tends to manifest rather quickly, be it immediately or over the course of a few weeks. Any time we irritate our skin, there is some damage being done but it is usuall short-term and not going to cause any long-term damage. Usually if you stop using that ingredient, your skin will calm down and repair itself. Almost everyone will stop using these ingredients since they visibly see or feel a reaction.

Anyway, QVC is a shopping channel and although they tout Paula as being an "expert" they are not saying that she is QVC's expert or that they are only going to promote products that are best for our skin. That is up to us consumers/customers to do our own homework and to make informed decisions about what we apply to our skin. QVC is in the business of making $$, nothing more, nothing less.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

"But it's funny to me how many of the brands QVC sells have these ingredients (and some even get terrible reviews on Paula's website for that reason), yet they tout her expertise. You can't have it both ways! "

I think the majority of products on the market don't follow one or another of Paula's rules, so I don't think it's weird or funny at all.

If if QVC wants to stay in business, they NEED to have it both ways. Not everyone follows Paula's guidelines, but mane people do. people do and QVC caters to both. That's called good business. It Cosmetics and Tarte both make a big deal about not having parabens. Philosophy has parabens and Paula's website has this to say about parabens: "Another example (of ingredient scares are) parabens which are brilliant preservative ingredients with no research (and we mean NO research) showing they cause any health problems. In fact they are among the gentlest and most effective preservatives around. They are originally derived from raspberries and their replacements are no more safe or natural. You can read more about the issues with parabens and their safety here."

QVC has a lot of customers who avoid parabens and a lot of customers who don't mind parabens. They aren't going to eliminate one of those groups by carrying ONLY products with parabens or ONLY products without parabens.

QVC isn't out to resolve the science around these issues, QVC is out to make money. 

Respected Contributor

I have followed Paula also.  I do not agree with her on everything and some of the feedback from customers also push back.  I am a Dr Denese gal and Paula is a big fan of a lot of her products eg. hydroshield serums and the retinol serums.

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm not saying I expect them to banish every other skincare line. Of course that wouldn't make sense, on a business level.

But to act as though Paula is this guru who will save your skin because of what she knows, then conveniently forget those lessons when selling another product, is a little disingenous. It would come off less such if they just framed her products as really good for you, not, "Way better than others because, unlike them, she doesn't use ___________."

It's the same thing with a lot of products. They say one thing, then say something totally opposite when selling that brand's competition. I guess I just like to think you don't have to be outright deceptive or contradictory to sell things.

Regular Contributor

QVC is the same as any store. They sell many products. The best one is the one they're presenting at the moment. Listen to all the presentations and they make up your own mind.

Regular Contributor

@culebra Yeah, I also don't agree with her on some things (she is a stickler for details, so the way she rates a product down even if it is in a jar or a clear package because eventually the light or air will diminish its effectiveness, seems a bit extreme to me). But I like how, like you said, she rates certain products very highly still even though she has her own line to sell (there's a good example of being honest in sales!).

Respected Contributor

QVC is just another retailer offering a variety of brands in many things, just like other retailers.  I wouldn't expect Macy's to only carry one brand of skin care products, etc.

Regular Contributor

Read the last post. That's not what I said at all. 

Honored Contributor

QVC touts her expertise? I've never noticed that. I haven't even seen any of her products being presented on the Q. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval