Respected Contributor

Re: Funny how many Q beauty brands defy Paula's teachings

@jaxs mom wrote:

QVC touts her expertise? I've never noticed that. I haven't even seen any of her products being presented on the Q. 

QVC touts anyone's expertise according who they are presenting.  Isn't that how it should be?  I've never followed Paula's "teachings", nor do I care to.  Anyone selling a line of product isn't anymore than a typical sales person.  I like to see variery in my shopping and let the vendors give it their best shot so I can decide what's best for ME. 

Honored Contributor

@jaxs mom wrote:

QVC touts her expertise? I've never noticed that. I haven't even seen any of her products being presented on the Q. 

QVC touts the expertise of every skincare vendor is is on the air at that moment.

Honored Contributor

@MomCat and @ChynnaBlue  I have a similar opinion, and said so a few posts back, but apparently the OP is under the impression that the QVC hosts do it more with PB.  I think they butter up all of the vendors and extoll their virtues and expertise across the board.  Sometimes it almost gets to the point of being overboard, but there are people who need that kind of stroking I suppose.

Honored Contributor

@HomeShoppingLover87 wrote:

@suzyQ3 Paula is known for being the "cosmetics cop" and has had a website for years where she debunks all sorts of beauty myths and talks about the science behind what really works (and doesn't). This is how her own line of skincare developed, which has been around far longer than the Q has been selling it. She is known for rating different ingredients from "worst" to "best," and explains why each ingredient gets that rating.

Many of her biggest no-no ingredients are seemingly harmless and/or soothing natural oils, such as lavender or mint, as well as any fragrance in a skincare product. So it's just a thread about how much the hosts flip-flop over whether Paula's lessons are accurate, when they also tout the wonderful essential oils of, for example the Wen mists and other items you're supposed to use on your face (Paula must be cringing if she's ever backstage when one of those shows is happening). 

It's not a post advising Q to stop selling the other lines, as many have interpreted it, but simply one about yet another way the hosts tend to change their stories depending on what they're selling.

Seriously?   This is a riot ..... brands DEFY Paula's teachings??

Paula is known for being THE cosmetics cop??

As far as I know, Paula isn't the head of the FDA and therefore isn't part of a government or other  regulatory agency .... or is she?

People selling books, products or services all look to market and promote themselves to sell whatever they sell.   I get that people learn a lot from her,  but she sells books and other products, so part of what she says is always with that in mind.

Regular Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 I didn't give her the title. And she actually is a scientist, so it's not totally bogus to take her "teachings" seriously, at least compared to someone who thinks every essential oil is good for the skin just because it's natural (when copious amounts of research, not at all related to Paula, confirm that certain plants and oils are horrible for the skin). 

Respected Contributor

Life is about having "choices" & "opinions" thank goodness! QVC, HSN, Evine are shopping networks their marketing goals are "SALES & $$$$$!" The hosts jobs are to "sell" the products, no matter what they are! The goal is to make profits for the company! All the hosts claim to use or have used the product/item them are selling....! It's MARKETING.
Regular Contributor

Ugh. I know that. There are still more honest ways you can sell a product. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]
As a consumer we have to remember, "Buyer Beware" do our research on our own!!! Paula is a business woman and her goal is to make a profit!!! As are all the others.
Honored Contributor

@HomeShoppingLover87 wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 I didn't give her the title. And she actually is a scientist, so it's not totally bogus to take her "teachings" seriously, at least compared to someone who thinks every essential oil is good for the skin just because it's natural (when copious amounts of research, not at all related to Paula, confirm that certain plants and oils are horrible for the skin). 

Where did you read that she is a scientist? She is not a scientist.

Honored Contributor

Wikipedia has information on Paula Begoun.  If you're not going there right away, here's an excerpt.  She is not a scientist, per se, but rather approaches her work in a scientific way.

She published her first book in 1985, but didn't begin to sell her own cosmetics brand until 1995.

From Wikipedia:

Begoun was born in suburban Chicago, Illinois. As a child, Begoun suffered from acne and eczema. She studied science at Northern Illinois University before moving to Washington D.C. in 1978 to work as a professional makeup artist and esthetician. Begoun then relocated to Washington, and opened her own cosmetics stores in Seattle in 1981, adding a business partner a short time later. In 1982, KIRO-TV in Seattle, Washington offered Begoun a consumer/feature reporter position, where she began reporting on the beauty industry as an investigative journalist. At that time she began working on her first book, Blue Eyeshadow Should be Illegal.[3]

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.