Honored Contributor

It would be so much easier to purchase foundations if the companies would co-ordinate the names and shades. Across the board, “fair neutral” would be the same color in every line whether a CC Cream, BB, Tinted Moisturizer, Powder, etc. 

I’m noticing that now shades are assigned numbers along with C for cool, W for warm...MAC does that, but that started as a pro line. I can no longer figure MAC out since their C isn’t always cool. 

Makeup should be fun and easy...almost play time. It’s turned into second guessing shades, shipping costs for returns or exchanges to the mall. 

Just made a trip yesterday to return 4 foundations that had the same shade name as last year, but changed the formula enough that the colors were off. Vent over. 

Honored Contributor

Re: FOUNDATION SHADES

[ Edited ]

I'm all for getting small samples of foundations to try before buying full sizes. Very few places online offer that option and I think it would be nice to be able to get the right color of foundation even if you have to spend a little to get it and save time by not going to counter.

I think in today's shopping landscape, retailers have got to go with more options to choose from. By this I mean the retailers need to offer samples of their products online for purchase so that gives us a way to get the stuff in front of our eyes to inspect it before committing to a bigger full-size product.

Super Contributor

Same with concealers!  I went to Sephora yesterday on a youtube recommendation for Color FX Power Play Concealer.  I looked at it online and there are16 possibilities for me.  When I saw the online color swatch of the color used by the youtuber who did the demo, I decided I needed to see the colors in person because I would have never guessed that was a match for her.  Went to Sephora.  They told me it was only available online.  

Honored Contributor

I don't think you are ever going to be able to get matches across the board because I'm guessing from formula to formula, it could change shades enough that they won't be consistent and the same shade in a powder won't be exactly the same in a liquid which won't be the same in a cream because of the way the formula takes color.

I do think shade samples should be available.  

I buy some of my make-up from drugstores or even the grocery store.  Our local Giant Eagle is getting rid of its entire cosmetic department so everything was 75% off.  I bought 3 different foundations to try.  The first one, although listed as a neutral beige and a color I normally take, is really too light for me.         

Honored Contributor

Re: FOUNDATION SHADES

[ Edited ]

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

I don't think you are ever going to be able to get matches across the board because I'm guessing from formula to formula, it could change shades enough that they won't be consistent and the same shade in a powder won't be exactly the same in a liquid which won't be the same in a cream because of the way the formula takes color.

I do think shade samples should be available.  

I buy some of my make-up from drugstores or even the grocery store.  Our local Giant Eagle is getting rid of its entire cosmetic department so everything was 75% off.  I bought 3 different foundations to try.  The first one, although listed as a neutral beige and a color I normally take, is really too light for me.         

Yes. It would be nice to get samples of like three in a set and you can choose those by groupings...light, med, dark...and within each of those groups it could be broken down further into individual shades of at least three. Most us know where we fall into the Lt-Med-Dk categories so it's the variations of those where most of us run into problems.

Respected Contributor

I think this is why I tend to stick with the same brands, because I know my shade.

Honored Contributor

@Grouchomarx wrote:

I think this is why I tend to stick with the same brands, because I know my shade.

@Grouchomarx   I agree, but when Laura Mercier was purchased by another company, formulas were changed and my tinted moisturizer no longer matched. Aggravating. 

Honored Contributor

I'm light/fair neutral ... always such a trial when something I've been using is discontinued and I have to find a new foundation.

Honored Contributor

I'd like to see Pantone take this on.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

It astounds me that you can take a chip of any color paint to the paint store and have it perfectly matched. But when it comes to getting the right color foundation, that seems to be such a challenging thing to do....and there are far fewer skin shades to deal with compared to all of the paint colors out there.