Honored Contributor

It could be a huge selling point: Pantone assessed and approved colors. Chanel or whomever could formulate the foundation, make an initial determination of pantone skin color and then submit samples. A team at pantone could test it and provide a final determination.

I'd pay an extra five bucks or more to have a firm, universal concept of the color of a complexion product.

LOL or Benjamin Moore or Valspar could start this as a sideline gig! As long as the colors were absolutely standardized and there were a final impartial authority to assess it. Sephora would have the wherewithal to do such a thing as well if they wanted to.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

Re: FOUNDATION SHADES

[ Edited ]

@Shanus wrote:

It would be so much easier to purchase foundations if the companies would co-ordinate the names and shades. Across the board, “fair neutral” would be the same color in every line whether a CC Cream, BB, Tinted Moisturizer, Powder, etc. 

It sounds like a helpful idea, but given how inconsistent clothing sizes are across the board, I don't think they could do it right if they tried.

Honored Contributor

After all these years you would think the cosmetic industry would have this mastered.  When purchasing online, when you select a shade, a pop up should appear to tell you what the shade color is (fair cool, etc.).  Yes, your idea is ideal but I don't think these people have enough sense to make an easy to use color shade across the board.  

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

Now, THIS is a good idea.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

It would be so much easier to purchase foundations if the companies would co-ordinate the names and shades. Across the board, “fair neutral” would be the same color in every line whether a CC Cream, BB, Tinted Moisturizer, Powder, etc. 

I’m noticing that now shades are assigned numbers along with C for cool, W for warm...MAC does that, but that started as a pro line. I can no longer figure MAC out since their C isn’t always cool. 

Makeup should be fun and easy...almost play time. It’s turned into second guessing shades, shipping costs for returns or exchanges to the mall. 

Just made a trip yesterday to return 4 foundations that had the same shade name as last year, but changed the formula enough that the colors were off. Vent over. 

In regard to Mac ..the sales woman told me C is warm and W is cool in the traditional sense of the word. I checked in the MAC store and the store manager told me the same. Just more confusing.

Honored Contributor

Just a thought @Shanus ...have you tried Prescriptives on line? They used to have very fair shades of foundation typed by cool and warm tones. 

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

Just a thought @Shanus ...have you tried Prescriptives on line? They used to have very fair shades of foundation typed by cool and warm tones. 

Thanks for the suggestion @Trinity11 . Until something changes, Bobbi Brown still has my Alabaster for winter and Porcelain for summer.

Honored Contributor

Can you imagine going to Home Depot with your almost empty foundation bottle? 😄😄😄 and asking them to match this?

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

@Shanus 

It is extremely frustrating when companies change the formula, which them changes the color.

I am now sure that my complexion looks best in a fair pink porcelain.  The liquid should almost look white.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Trusted Contributor

@Grouchomarx wrote:

I think this is why I tend to stick with the same brands, because I know my shade.

I agree... I always go back to Elizabeth Arden.... Vanilla Shell.  It is the only foundation that matches my skin.  Most other ones are just too yellow for me.