Honored Contributor

I will certainly look into that.  Thank you very much @Mindy D !

Respected Contributor

Sounds like a great idea but I can't see these companies coming together and standardizing shades. I have always been a medium cool but have found some company's medium shades are much too dark. It is frustrating buying online but lately I have been googling swatches to get a better idea. I do wished when the shopping channels offer a foundation that they show swatches. Showing models and stating that they are Fair, Light, Medium bla bla just doesn't cut it for me. I like that more companies do give more shade ranges. When I see a company that has 30 shade range, I feel that surely I can find one that will work for me. Rarely do I buy from QVC because the 5 shade range doesn't work.

Respected Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

I don't think you are ever going to be able to get matches across the board because I'm guessing from formula to formula, it could change shades enough that they won't be consistent and the same shade in a powder won't be exactly the same in a liquid which won't be the same in a cream because of the way the formula takes color.

I do think shade samples should be available.  

I buy some of my make-up from drugstores or even the grocery store.  Our local Giant Eagle is getting rid of its entire cosmetic department so everything was 75% off.  I bought 3 different foundations to try.  The first one, although listed as a neutral beige and a color I normally take, is really too light for me.         

You must live in my area if you have a Giant Eagle. I did see that they were offering their cosmetics at ridiculous low sale prices. They are totatly revamping our Giant Eagle so will have to see if they are discontinuing their makeup section.

Honored Contributor

@Tricolor wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

I don't think you are ever going to be able to get matches across the board because I'm guessing from formula to formula, it could change shades enough that they won't be consistent and the same shade in a powder won't be exactly the same in a liquid which won't be the same in a cream because of the way the formula takes color.

I buy some of my make-up from drugstores or even the grocery store.  Our local Giant Eagle is getting rid of its entire cosmetic department so everything was 75% off.  I bought 3 different foundations to try.  The first one, although listed as a neutral beige and a color I normally take, is really too light for me.         

You must live in my area if you have a Giant Eagle. I did see that they were offering their cosmetics at ridiculous low sale prices. They are totatly revamping our Giant Eagle so will have to see if they are discontinuing their makeup section.

@Tricolor, I live on north central Ohio.  I frequent one GE so I don't know if others in surrounding areas are doing the same or not.  One woman told me GE is getting rid of their cosmetics because they have such a huge theft problem.

However, a manager told me they are redoing the store and changing things around to add curbside pick-up.  Something had to go so it's the cosmetics.

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

Just a thought @Shanus ...have you tried Prescriptives on line? They used to have very fair shades of foundation typed by cool and warm tones. 

@Trinity11, I remember years and years ago getting color matched at a Prescriptives counter.  They had their foundations categorized by the undertones in your skin like blue/red, yellow/orange, etc.  

I thought Prescriptives was one from malls.  

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

Just a thought @Shanus ...have you tried Prescriptives on line? They used to have very fair shades of foundation typed by cool and warm tones. 

@Trinity11, I remember years and years ago getting color matched at a Prescriptives counter.  They had their foundations categorized by the undertones in your skin like blue/red, yellow/orange, etc.  

@Lipstickdiva   I remember the Precriptive’s counters mixing the fountions while you wait. They haven’t done it in forever. I have no idea how they’d do it online. Bare Minerals attempted to do foundation matching online by computer questionnaire and flopped. We haven’t seen that foundation offered since...at least I haven’t. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Prescriptives online. Custom matching foundation and powder not available at this time. They’ll email when it is back. My guess is never.

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Lipstickdiva Prescriptive has not sold in brick and mortar for years now. Originally, they gave you your “formula” and duplicated it when they went to on -line sales. Eventually, they seemed to stop it...

Respected Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Tricolor wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Tricolor, I live on north central Ohio.  I frequent one GE so I don't know if others in surrounding areas are doing the same or not.  One woman told me GE is getting rid of their cosmetics because they have such a huge theft problem.

However, a manager told me they are redoing the store and changing things around to add curbside pick-up.  Something had to go so it's the cosmetics.

I live in PIttsburgh. My daughter lives in Parma so she may be very close to you. Will keep an eye out of they decide to do that here.

Contributor

What really confuses me now about MAC foundations, after listening to Shawn and the MAC rep is that if your wrist veins are green you are cool toned and if you wrist  veins are blue you are warm toned. That is completely oppisite of what every other beauty site says when trying to choose a foundation shade. Every other site says if your veins are green you are warm, blue you are cool and if you cannot tell between blue and green, neutral.