Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

Just a thought @Shanus ...have you tried Prescriptives on line? They used to have very fair shades of foundation typed by cool and warm tones. 

Thanks for the suggestion @Trinity11 . Until something changes, Bobbi Brown still has my Alabaster for winter and Porcelain for summer.

@Shanus   Speaking of Bobbi Brown...just yesterday I felt vindicated of my negative reviews of certain beauty brands here on the Q.  Bobbi said on her blog that African American women have such a hard time with ashy foundation outcomes because it's not about making a formula darker for golden and deeper complexions.  It's about changing the entire formula or African American shades.  I have always felt this. 

It Cosmetics is one of the worst foundation or CC cream brands for my complexion.  Their deeper shades just add a few more "drops of brown," but the result is always the same -- ashy, ashy, ashy.  I always look like I've been embalmed.  Sometimes a host on QVC and HSN will even say, "if you are a darker complexion, don't worry this will not make you look ashy."  So the industry knows the problem, and much more times than not, it does make me look ashy.

The problem are the brands that will not invest in changing the entire formula for shades suitable for me. 

It's like that Hairmax rep who always say we have not tested for AA skin tones to be able to say if it works.  That's because the test for darker skin is much more expensive.  It's not impossible, it's a matter of investment. 

Honored Contributor

Excellently written @Caaareful Shopper You said it all.

April is Autism Awareness/Acceptance month.
Honored Contributor

When QVC is selling a foundation, they do not do a good job of showing/comparing the colors.  Many times they don't tell us what color a model is wearing.  Some hosts/models, I think would be considered "fair", say they wear "medium."  Of course some do self-tanning too.   There are one or two models that I would buy the shade they are using.  Have done that, and the color worked for me.  I saw some "IT" items at Ulta and they all seemed so yellow.  I haven't bought IT in years.    I agree it is a challenge to find the correct shade.   I don't think the companies would want to standardize the names, etc.  Probably part of the competition to have their own names for the shades.  

Respected Contributor

I use and love Make-Up Forever liquid foundation. I'm very fair and their color is a perfect match. Have used for years.

Sephora is great for giving samples.

Jane Iredale is my favorite for powder foundation. Another perfect match.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus  Now I need to vent.  I purchased Smashbox BB and Bobbi Brown BB cream to see which shade works best.  Well the Smashbox is on the yellow/peach side for the Fair/Light and Bobbi's Extra Light may work but it is also yellow based but not as much.  What is wrong with these companies?  They charge an arm and a leg and cannot provide sufficient color shades for fair and light women.  We have pink undertones or we are neutral and some are warm.  I lean toward pink but I can do neutral.  Please stop with all this yellow in your shades and start giving women what they need.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

I always get confused as to whether the C for Cool means what the shade of the foundation tone is, or whether the C for Cool means what my skin tone is, or whether the C for Cool means what I want my skin tone to be with the foundation on it. The Cs, The Ws and the Ns need some standardization in the industry. 

I look terrible in any foundation that looks yellow on my skin. I look terrible with any foundation that looks pink on my skin. My skin is medium to medium light, neutral with a hint of olive in it. I just want the foundation to be named with an N for neutral if it doesn’t contain yellowish or pinkish undertones. 

Honored Contributor

@Caaareful Shopper wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

Just a thought @Shanus ...have you tried Prescriptives on line? They used to have very fair shades of foundation typed by cool and warm tones. 

Thanks for the suggestion @Trinity11 . Until something changes, Bobbi Brown still has my Alabaster for winter and Porcelain for summer.

@Shanus   Speaking of Bobbi Brown...just yesterday I felt vindicated of my negative reviews of certain beauty brands here on the Q.  Bobbi said on her blog that African American women have such a hard time with ashy foundation outcomes because it's not about making a formula darker for golden and deeper complexions.  It's about changing the entire formula or African American shades.  I have always felt this. 

It Cosmetics is one of the worst foundation or CC cream brands for my complexion.  Their deeper shades just add a few more "drops of brown," but the result is always the same -- ashy, ashy, ashy.  I always look like I've been embalmed.  Sometimes a host on QVC and HSN will even say, "if you are a darker complexion, don't worry this will not make you look ashy."  So the industry knows the problem, and much more times than not, it does make me look ashy.

The problem are the brands that will not invest in changing the entire formula for shades suitable for me. 

It's like that Hairmax rep who always say we have not tested for AA skin tones to be able to say if it works.  That's because the test for darker skin is much more expensive.  It's not impossible, it's a matter of investment. 

The zinc oxide used in the SPF for IT is what causes that ashy appearance. I look ashy in their makeup. Try a makeup without a physical SPF such as zinc oxide or get a makeup with no SPF. It This ash look makes selfies look bad for everyone. Sunscreen in makeup especially bad for photos with a flash.

Foundation with no  SPF at Nordstrom’s.

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2018/09/sunscreen-dark-skin/570487/

https://www.adorebeauty.com.au/sunscreen/guide/avoid-white-cast

https://www.byrdie.com/foundations-without-spf

Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

@Shanus  Now I need to vent.  I purchased Smashbox BB and Bobbi Brown BB cream to see which shade works best.  Well the Smashbox is on the yellow/peach side for the Fair/Light and Bobbi's Extra Light may work but it is also yellow based but not as much.  What is wrong with these companies?  They charge an arm and a leg and cannot provide sufficient color shades for fair and light women.  We have pink undertones or we are neutral and some are warm.  I lean toward pink but I can do neutral.  Please stop with all this yellow in your shades and start giving women what they need.

Good morning @Katcat1 . I understand your (& others’ frustration) with yellow in foundations. In all honesty, it’s done on purpose, especially in CC Creams and BB Creams  (BBs came to us before CCs). BB was mainly a makeup for blemished skin, heavier coverage than CC. Assuming that the blemishes had pink/red colorations, the makeup had yellow in it to counteract the pink. Along came CC cream which stands for Color Correcting. It has slightly lighter coverage, but still a yellow base to correct ruddiness, dark areas, etc. These formulations came to us from Asia where many of the women have a more yellow toned skin. 

I also am fair with a slightly pink undertone, but prefer a neutral foundation. It’s difficult to find. In my powder foundation, I wear Bare Minerals Fair...it seems more  neutral to me. When I was younger, I could wear Fairly Light, but my skin lightened and that shade, when oxidized as powders do when mixed with w/ your moisturizers and natural oils, turned too yellow on my now more fair complexion. Tinted Moisturizer is my solution to yellow foundations because it’s less coverage. I use a concealer (a better neutral match to my skin) where needed around my nose and a few stubborn brown spots on my left cheek (from my driver’s window). 

It takes getting used to, but yellow toned foundations aren’t going away anytime soon. Many women like the look of it taking all pink/red out of their skin. My suggestion is to find the least yellow one that works. That’s Bobbi’s for me. In the Foundation Stick, the lightest shade Alabaster has just a hint of yellow...same w/ Porcelain which is the next shade up. I wear the Extra Light Tint (now called Porcelain Tint) in the Tinted Moisturizer. It’s in a beige tube. It has light coverage, more than most tinted moisturizers. I use either Bobbi’s Porcelain concealer or the Porcelain Foundation Stick to touch up areas where I need it. In fact, all of Bobbi’s foundations have less yellow than many on the market.

Makeup artists prefer to work on a blank canvas just like fine artists. Taking all pink/red out of the skin, then concealing, using a finely milled setting powder is the universal routine. Then we add back color/shape with contour, bronzer, blush, etc. Artists will also use a shade lighter than darker if a difficult match and use bronzer on the neck to equal the look to the face.

I personally cannot wear the fair beige foundations that have pink undertones. They look artificial on me. They give me a flushed look and my neck is completely neutral. I prefer more yellow. ***Estée Lauder Double Wear has a range of fair & light beige w/ a tiny bit of pink to try. It’s medium-full coverage. 

Another mua friend is meeting me in NM in Charlotte this weekend to test new makeup for fall. I’ll be on the lookout for cool foundations and cool shadow palettes for us and report back here if I find anything of interest. 

***Expensive, but Tilbury foundations are less yellow. English women have rosey complexions and her line started there. Shadow palettes are also more cool.

*** Higher end ($$$$) foundations like Tom Ford, Armani, Chanel may have better selections in the fair to medium  range. I refuse to pay that much. 

Note: If anyone has a request for particular makeup items they’d like me to investigate, please let me know by tonite. I’ll do my best to accommodate...will have my IPad with me. Skincare will be another trip. 

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

I always get confused as to whether the C for Cool means what the shade of the foundation tone is, or whether the C for Cool means what my skin tone is, or whether the C for Cool means what I want my skin tone to be with the foundation on it. The Cs, The Ws and the Ns need some standardization in the industry. 

I look terrible in any foundation that looks yellow on my skin. I look terrible with any foundation that looks pink on my skin. My skin is medium to medium light, neutral with a hint of olive in it. I just want the foundation to be named with an N for neutral if it doesn’t contain yellowish or pinkish undertones. 

@Mindy D   Unfortunately, the C or W varies by line. Some mean C for the cool undertones of the shade, others C may be for cool toned complexions. N of course is neutral. I always shoot for that one when I can find it. Makeup companies don’t want to spend the money on a full line of shades. They concentrate on mid-tones. That leaves Fair to one or two choices and dark the same. It seems medium has a range from lt. med., medium, beige med., olive med., darker med. tan medium, etc. and then maybe dark and rich. Self tanning has a lot to do with that. Many fair skinned women self tan putting them in the medium category. How many hosts on Q have said “I’m a medium, but go into dark medium beige when I self tan”? 

Honored Contributor

For a better foundation match, try it on in store (or home), take a selfie in sunlight. Many times the foundation will be too light. I try to stay away from spf in it because I wear my own underneath anyway. No one wears makeup on neck, chest or enough makeup on face for protection from the spf in there. If you must, look for the least spf, 15 or less, so it doesn’t affect the color of the foundation. Yes, it can turn your face ghostly or ashy.