Honored Contributor

Re: ComPact 2020 – Jabberwocky June

@Eager2Learn wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@Eager2Learn wrote:

I ComPacted my checking and and savings accounts. I'm closing 3 checking and 1 savings, with 1 more savings to go.

I guess I need to call the banks and credit union to make it official, (if I can get anyone to answer the phone).

And I'm decluttering boxes of unused checks, deposit and withdrawal slips.

I handle all the banking (SO wants nothing to do with it). I decided to do this to make it easier for him if anything happens to me. Smiley Happy

@Eager2Learn 

You are really focused on this and making incredible progress.  But I'm concerned.  I don't want you to become Eager2Exit.

I shouldn't worry.  You aren't decluttering Cinnamon.  It's just my paranoia speaking...

@just bee Not to worry, we're being careful. But I'm 71 and he's 74, just preparing for the inevitable. 

@Eager2Learn 

Yep, me too.  Only I'm not nearly as energetic in my preparing as you've been.  

My sister sent me some old photos she's had since she's at the same point of getting rid of things and trying to foist things off on everyone else.😉😄  I was saying that I needed to dump most of my pictures since no one would want them.  At which point my other sister piped in to say that her children and grandchildren want them, so I shouldn't toss them.    Who knew?  I sure didn't.  They never seemed particularly interested in family stuff before.  Guess attitudes change when their own families grow up.

Honored Contributor

I just finished a bottle of goat milk hand wash the end of May.  I'm now on my last bottle.  I'm glad I waited and didn't immediately order more when I first started using it, because now I see that it's not that great.

For one thing, you have to make sure you really rinse your hands well or it leaves a sticky residue on them.  And I had thought that it was preventing my fingers from cracking.  Nope.  Turns out it was the gloves I was wearing much of the time.  Now that I'm back to not wearing the disposable gloves for much of my kitchen work, my thumbs are cracking again.  So the goat soap is no better than my Soft Soap, just more expensive.  

I do still like the lotion though.

Honored Contributor

And one more thing: along with no more junk food and sweets, I've promised myself no more gadgets.  

No more kitchen gadgets, cleaning gadgets, beauty gadgets.  None.  They always seem like such a great idea and it never seems to fail that after a short while, they end up being a pain in the neck and getting donated.  And often, they're pretty pricey too.  Half the time I'm buying something for a problem I find I don't even have after I get the gadget.  Mostly, I'm just too dang lazy to drag them out and use them, even if they do work.  They are the opposite of simplifying.

I think the only exception to this would be a plastic wrap dispenser I bought at the Q years ago.  That still sits on my kitchen counter and gets used daily.  Probably the best purchase I ever made from QVC.  Weird.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Apocalyse anyone? 

I have enjoyed the conversation, Ladies, and will leave things at that. 

@rnmom, you are doing great with HEP. Keep it going. Feeling healthy is where it is at. Besides walking, I have started weight training this week. Just mild and low key so I dont hurt myself coming out of the gate, but I am tired of feeling weak.  So far, so good. 

@just bee, disgusted?? I have no words for what I am feeling. But it is time the people took some of their power back.  Most of our leadership regardless of level is full of themselves, just too self-important. I think they forget who gets them in their slots. It is all about their careers. It is time to flip the script. 

@Eager2Learn, good job on the decluttering. It is time to clear things out.  Paperwork is on my list as well. It is my least desirable task so I will hold off for a while until I get on top of other things but it is an important one.  

I am continuing to organize and have started decuttering as well.  I decided to get rid of a piece of furniture. I like it and hesitate, but it makes the room cluttered and really is just a catch up for all of my clutter. I am getting rid of various other things and some of it will go to one of my brothers. Plus, I have to set myself up to be more functional since I will be working from home for a while longer. 

@geezerette, I also decided that I am not buying anymore kitchen, beauty or any other gadgets. I agree, It is all a good idea until you have to pull things out to use them. I just dont for whatever reason, laziness, disinterest, etc. Everything takes time and work. So, I am done. I also this week bought my last piece of exercise equipment. Done with that too.  

@KaySD, Keep the faith. I have to hold on to things getting better. It is a point in history and hopefully the right corrections will come out of it and we can all move on, with hopefully the world being a better place. 

I wont even touch on the subject of masks. The only thing I will say is that I hope we all dont make each other feel like lepers because some dont choose to wear a mask outside or want to wear them the rest of their lives. I fully respect those that do and will even after this has cleared, but it is a choice everyone should have, not a requirement. 

Alright, someone bring back the cool weather. I am melting in this humidity 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@aprilskies 

It seems like the concept I have the most trouble remembering is the easiest: don't bring stuff in.  Whether it be gadgets, junk food, clothes, whatever.

If I don't bring it in, I don't have to deal with getting it out.  It's like trying to bail out a sinking boat.  If you don't plug the hole first, it's a constant (and often losing) battle.

I need to concentrate on just what I know I'm going to use up for a while.  

ETA:  I'm with ya on the humidity.  Our heat index is 100* today and tomorrow.  Last week we were in the 70s.  No wonder I have near constant migraines.

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

I just finished a bottle of goat milk hand wash the end of May.  I'm now on my last bottle.  I'm glad I waited and didn't immediately order more when I first started using it, because now I see that it's not that great.

For one thing, you have to make sure you really rinse your hands well or it leaves a sticky residue on them.  And I had thought that it was preventing my fingers from cracking.  Nope.  Turns out it was the gloves I was wearing much of the time.  Now that I'm back to not wearing the disposable gloves for much of my kitchen work, my thumbs are cracking again.  So the goat soap is no better than my Soft Soap, just more expensive.  

I do still like the lotion though.

@geezerette 

I have to say that's what I like about the Dr. Bronner's.  It rinses clean -- and fast -- and there's no residue or film.

I might end up diluting it to avoid the burn, but I'm using it on my face and hands, in the shower and to scrub the sink.  Oh -- and it cleans my jewelry, too.

image.png

The claptrap on the bottle is annoying, but I'm transferring the product to empty Mrs. Meyer's pump bottles so I don't have to look at it.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@geezerette wrote:

And one more thing: along with no more junk food and sweets, I've promised myself no more gadgets.  

No more kitchen gadgets, cleaning gadgets, beauty gadgets.  None.  They always seem like such a great idea and it never seems to fail that after a short while, they end up being a pain in the neck and getting donated.  And often, they're pretty pricey too.  Half the time I'm buying something for a problem I find I don't even have after I get the gadget.  Mostly, I'm just too dang lazy to drag them out and use them, even if they do work.  They are the opposite of simplifying.

I think the only exception to this would be a plastic wrap dispenser I bought at the Q years ago.  That still sits on my kitchen counter and gets used daily.  Probably the best purchase I ever made from QVC.  Weird.

@geezerette 

Oh, fine -- encourage me to buy that Aslett mop and then you post this!

Just kidding. Heart

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@aprilskies 

It seems like the concept I have the most trouble remembering is the easiest: don't bring stuff in.  Whether it be gadgets, junk food, clothes, whatever.

If I don't bring it in, I don't have to deal with getting it out.  It's like trying to bail out a sinking boat.  If you don't plug the hole first, it's a constant (and often losing) battle.

I need to concentrate on just what I know I'm going to use up for a while.  

ETA:  I'm with ya on the humidity.  Our heat index is 100* today and tomorrow.  Last week we were in the 70s.  No wonder I have near constant migraines.

@geezerette 

RULE 1:

Stop the flow.

Honored Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

I wont even touch on the subject of masks. The only thing I will say is that I hope we all dont make each other feel like lepers because some dont choose to wear a mask outside or want to wear them the rest of their lives. I fully respect those that do and will even after this has cleared, but it is a choice everyone should have, not a requirement. 

@aprilskies 

I concur.

Honored Contributor

I'm concerned because, as I've said before, the cheese is sliding off our collective cracker.  Let me just say that I have seen an increase in slid cheese at work.

Not only patient cheese but also staff cheese.  There's a lot of self-medicating going on.

I've even noticed some self-harming behaviors myself.  Last night I skipped dinner and had a bowl of popcorn, an Amstel Light and almost a full pint of pistachio gelato.  And then I watched Helen Keller vs. Nightwolves.

This can't be good.