Honored Contributor

Re: ComPact 2020 – Jabberwocky June

@KaySD wrote:

@rnmom Stand up for the constitution? Couldn't agree with you more.

As for feeling hopeful, that's just about me, so nothing to disagree about! Smiley Happy

@KaySD 

Sounds like we're all fans of our First Amendment, so keep on posting!  This should be a muzzle-free zone.

Well, of course we do have to consider QVC house rules here...

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@Eager2Learn wrote:

I ComPacted my checking and and savings accounts. I'm closing 3 checking and 1 savings, with 1 more savings to go.

I guess I need to call the banks and credit union to make it official, (if I can get anyone to answer the phone).

And I'm decluttering boxes of unused checks, deposit and withdrawal slips.

I handle all the banking (SO wants nothing to do with it). I decided to do this to make it easier for him if anything happens to me. Smiley Happy

@Eager2Learn 

I had kept every check I'd ever written.  That was probably the most organized system I had.  All my canceled checks were in beautiful boxes.  Checks from the 70s up until the point where the banks stopped mailing them to me.

A piece of personal history.  I had always ordered artsy checks and I wanted to remember all the designs and all the places where I'd spent money.  It was like a journal.

Well, they're all in landfill now.

Every time I think about things I lost after the fire I have to remind myself that I'd lose them eventually.  Who in h_ll would want stuffed bears, old school photos, class notes, ticket stubs, playbills or boxes of my canceled checks, for goodness sakes?

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

And now, back to beauty! Woman LOL

A coworker complained last week that his facemask was causing acne.  Happily, it's under his beard and hard to see.

Well, I don't have a full beard (yet) so my breakouts are more obvious.

This mask full of bacteria is effing up my face.

I've been using Dr. Bronner's to wash it and I think it's burning off the zits.

It's also burning the rest of my flesh.  The irritation of the mask, rubbing my burnt skin, is unpleasant.  Nice job on the occasional zit, but walking around feeling sunburned is not something I want to continue.

I haven't yet purchased a mask.  Not gonna do it.

@just bee 

"Wouldn't be prudent."  🤣

Classic Dana Carvey. 🥰

@geezerette 

Knew you'd catch that.

I don't wear a mask when I'm out and about with WGD.  I put one on to get into the hospital and wear it throughout my shift, then take it off once I'm outside the building.  On my days off I stick one in a pocket in case I have to enter a business that requires one.  I'll happily don one to enter Total Wine and get my Amstel.

I had to laugh when I saw the electronic signs on the road reminding me to wear a mask and social distance myself to save New Mexico.  It's going to take a h_ll of a lot more to save this state.

No social distancing during the ongoing local protests, I see...  Interesting times, indeed.

Honored Contributor

@rnmom wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@rnmom wrote:

@KaySD wrote:

@Brisky Enjoyed your bandwagon. Made me think. 

I've been watching some news also--so much going on--I'm happy and grateful for the protesters (not the baddies, but they are a small fraction). I want to listen, and listen, and listen until enough of us finallly start to see things in a better way. I love seeing the young people out there, and all ages, races, sizes and shapes. Their spirit is strong. We need to breathe!

I know it's easy for me to sit here in my sheltered place and think good thoughts in my own good time, and it's a whole other thing to go out and face it the world. I am humbled by this thought. I also know there are an infinite number of ideas about how things should be, and we will never all agree, and that's democracy--and life!--at it's messy and glorious best. 

It's like when I clean out my closet and hit that stage where everything is all over the place, chaotic and confusing. At that point I can't just ignore it and pretend it's not what it is. But eventually, it starts to come together and feel clearer and less heavy. There's a lot in my mental closet that needs airing as well.

For now, it's a clarifying moment and I embrace it.

@KaySD -I appreciate your thoughts and the reason why I disagree is because our governor has taken away the very democracy that you speak of. She has taken it upon herself to make all the decisions, ALL the decisions, regarding this stupid virus, by herself without any input from the legislature, who was elected by WE THE PEOPLE and are supposed to be representing us. She has totally shut them out, suspended the freedom of information act, and is not giving US a say. She is acting unilaterally and that is not democracy, that is tyranny. That is what a dictator does. That is what Hitler did. You can deny it if you want, and say no,no, that can't be in America, but that is the facts. 

Freedom, independence. Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Sound familiar?  Mean anything to anyone anymore? She is taking all of this away from us. As are other govenors across the country. The constitution doesn't just "not apply" now because of a virus. Or race riots, or anything else for that matter. It is the CONSTITUTION. And I guess it's time we stand up and fight for it again. 

@rnmom 

I will admit up front that I'm looking at your situation from the outside and I have not followed all the details.  But it's my impression that your governor seems to be swinging from one extreme to the other.  A month or two ago outside landscapers couldn't even mow your lawn, but now your restaurants can operate at 50% capacity?  We didn't have near the problem that you guys did and never actually had a shelter-in-place order, but we're still only at 30% restaurant capacity, with no idea when that may be increased.

She doesn't make a whole lot of sense from what I can see.  So I can understand your frustrations.

@geezerette 

@rnmom 

I came home from work yesterday and fell asleep listening to the radio.  At around 3:00 I was awakened by the voice of our governor.  This is her usual time to lecture us on COVID-19.

Strangely, she barely mentioned the pandemic.  In fact, she has delegated future COVID updates to an underling Secretary.

No, yesterday she focused on racism.  She explained that it's a problem and that, whether we know it or not, we New Mexicans are racist.

I didn't appreciate the lecture.  But then I realized something that she apparently had not.  The majority of New Mexicans are members of her own political party.

I rest my case.

@just bee - That's ok, don't feel bad. All Michiganders are racist too. I get so sick of trying to defend myself I'm about to scream. 

Trying to stand up for our Constitutional rights, trying to explain that I'm really not racist, I don't like a****les no matter what color you are. And if you're a good person, I don't care what color you are, I will respect you too. But of course, no one believes it, we're all racist deep down inside you know. I'm sick of it too. 

@rnmom 

It boils down to this: Your governor and my governor (governess, as one local describes her) are battling for the VP slot.  They want the top job.

They're focusing on their resumes, not their states or the people who reside in them.

Don't give up hope.  They might end up in Cabinet positions and we'll be rid of them.  Sort of.

Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@rnmom wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@rnmom wrote:

@KaySD wrote:

I've been watching some news also--so much going on--I'm happy and grateful for the protesters (not the baddies, but they are a small fraction). I want to listen, and listen, and listen until enough of us finallly start to see things in a better way. I love seeing the young people out there, and all ages, races, sizes and shapes. Their spirit is strong. We need to breathe!

I know it's easy for me to sit here in my sheltered place and think good thoughts in my own good time, and it's a whole other thing to go out and face it the world. I am humbled by this thought. I also know there are an infinite number of ideas about how things should be, and we will never all agree, and that's democracy--and life!--at it's messy and glorious best. 

It's like when I clean out my closet and hit that stage where everything is all over the place, chaotic and confusing. At that point I can't just ignore it and pretend it's not what it is. But eventually, it starts to come together and feel clearer and less heavy. There's a lot in my mental closet that needs airing as well.

@KaySD -I appreciate your thoughts and the reason why I disagree is because our governor has taken away the very democracy that you speak of. She has taken it upon herself to make all the decisions, ALL the decisions, regarding this stupid virus, by herself without any input from the legislature, who was elected by WE THE PEOPLE and are supposed to be representing us. She has totally shut them out, suspended the freedom of information act, and is not giving US a say. She is acting unilaterally and that is not democracy, that is tyranny. That is what a dictator does. That is what Hitler did. You can deny it if you want, and say no,no, that can't be in America, but that is the facts. 

Freedom, independence. Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Sound familiar?  Mean anything to anyone anymore? She is taking all of this away from us. As are other govenors across the country. The constitution doesn't just "not apply" now because of a virus. Or race riots, or anything else for that matter. It is the CONSTITUTION. And I guess it's time we stand up and fight for it again. 

@rnmom 

I will admit up front that I'm looking at your situation from the outside and I have not followed all the details.  But it's my impression that your governor seems to be swinging from one extreme to the other.  A month or two ago outside landscapers couldn't even mow your lawn, but now your restaurants can operate at 50% capacity?  We didn't have near the problem that you guys did and never actually had a shelter-in-place order, but we're still only at 30% restaurant capacity, with no idea when that may be increased.

She doesn't make a whole lot of sense from what I can see.  So I can understand your frustrations.

@geezerette 

@rnmom 

I came home from work yesterday and fell asleep listening to the radio.  At around 3:00 I was awakened by the voice of our governor.  This is her usual time to lecture us on COVID-19.

Strangely, she barely mentioned the pandemic.  In fact, she has delegated future COVID updates to an underling Secretary.

No, yesterday she focused on racism.  She explained that it's a problem and that, whether we know it or not, we New Mexicans are racist.

I didn't appreciate the lecture.  But then I realized something that she apparently had not.  The majority of New Mexicans are members of her own political party.

I rest my case.

@just bee - That's ok, don't feel bad. All Michiganders are racist too. I get so sick of trying to defend myself I'm about to scream. 

Trying to stand up for our Constitutional rights, trying to explain that I'm really not racist, I don't like a****les no matter what color you are. And if you're a good person, I don't care what color you are, I will respect you too. But of course, no one believes it, we're all racist deep down inside you know. I'm sick of it too. 

@rnmom 

It boils down to this: Your governor and my governor (governess, as one local describes her) are battling for the VP slot.  They want the top job.

They're focusing on their resumes, not their states or the people who reside in them.

Don't give up hope.  They might end up in Cabinet positions and we'll be rid of them.  Sort of.

@just bee 

@rnmom 

That may very well be what they're aiming for, but after how both of them have handled their respective shelter-in-place restrictions, I have to wonder about backlash.  

Honored Contributor

@Eager2Learn wrote:

I ComPacted my checking and and savings accounts. I'm closing 3 checking and 1 savings, with 1 more savings to go.

I guess I need to call the banks and credit union to make it official, (if I can get anyone to answer the phone).

I handle all the banking (SO wants nothing to do with it). I decided to do this to make it easier for him if anything happens to me. Smiley Happy

@Eager2Learn 

You are really focused on this and making incredible progress.  But I'm concerned.  I don't want you to become Eager2Exit.

I shouldn't worry.  You aren't decluttering Cinnamon.  It's just my paranoia speaking...

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@rnmom wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@rnmom wrote:

@KaySD wrote:

@rnmom 

@geezerette 

@rnmom 

I rest my case.

@rnmom 

@just bee 

@rnmom 

That may very well be what they're aiming for, but after how both of them have handled their respective shelter-in-place restrictions, I have to wonder about backlash.  

@geezerette 

Frankly, I don't see either of them on the ticket.  My governor is simply too short to be President.  We refer to her as the Tiny Tyrant.

ETA:

Yes, I know how that sounds, but we have a long tradition of electing taller candidates.  Blame TV.

ETA: 

Unfortunately that wasn't the case in our last gubernatorial race.

Valued Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@Eager2Learn wrote:

@Eager2Learn 

You are really focused on this and making incredible progress.  But I'm concerned.  I don't want you to become Eager2Exit.

I shouldn't worry.  You aren't decluttering Cinnamon.  It's just my paranoia speaking...

@just bee Not to worry, we're being careful. But I'm 71 and he's 74, just preparing for the inevitable. 

Honored Contributor

@rnmom wrote:

@just bee wrote:

And now, back to beauty! Woman LOL

A coworker complained last week that his facemask was causing acne.  Happily, it's under his beard and hard to see.

Well, I don't have a full beard (yet) so my breakouts are more obvious.

This mask full of bacteria is effing up my face.

I've been using Dr. Bronner's to wash it and I think it's burning off the zits.

It's also burning the rest of my flesh.  The irritation of the mask, rubbing my burnt skin, is unpleasant.  Nice job on the occasional zit, but walking around feeling sunburned is not something I want to continue.

I haven't yet purchased a mask.  Not gonna do it.

@just bee - I haven't purchased a mask and I'm not gonna do it either. I'm so glad that I work in a small, relatively isolated office. I have to wear my mask into work and if I'm out in the hallway walking, or going to the bathroom. But the minute I get back to my desk I take it off and it hangs from my ear. I honestly can't imagine wearing one all day. I think I'd suffocate. 

That's why I refuse to let my kids go back to school if masks are required. No way I'm going to have healthy kids re-breathing in all that carbon dioxide and wet, hot air all day long, Talk about a breeding ground for bacteria and fungus, etc. Yuck. 

@rnmom 

I was walking into Total Wine the other day and I had to put my mask on before entering the store.  I was still holding WGD's leash so I asked BH if he would take the dog.  He wasn't understanding and before I knew it my mask was on the ground.

I picked it up and put it on.

Hey, I'm building my immune system. Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

@Eager2Learn wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@Eager2Learn wrote:

@Eager2Learn 

@just bee Not to worry, we're being careful. But I'm 71 and he's 74, just preparing for the inevitable. 

@Eager2Learn 

I need to remind myself:

Worry is an abuse of God's gift of imagination.