Trusted Contributor

Re: ComPact 2016 -- February

[ Edited ]

@just bee wrote:

Just a reminder:

The bird cams are plentiful -- several eagle and owl nests to watch if you're looking for a new hobby.  There are already two eaglets in the Berry College nest (still waiting on the Hanover, PA nest).  Absolute weirdness in Italy, Texas with the barn owls.  There's a new owl in town and everyone's confused. 

I have continued watching the barn owls.  It was quite boring for a while, but now there is some action.  Last month (or maybe longer), Dottie was gone for days.  Casper returned.  He waited and waited, but Dottie did not return.  Now, Dottie is back, and Dash is the new man in her life.  I think they have even . . . . um, you know.  Time will tell.

Paws and enjoy life.
Trusted Contributor

@Oshare-girl wrote:

Wow, I was shocked to see that posts were removed from our friendly thread.  Well, I'll be sure to post only mundane beauty updates.  I didn't have a no-buy February.  I almost made it, just one more week...  I bought a Cover Girl Oh Sugar balm which is supposed to be a dupe for the Fresh Sugar balms.  It is very close but not as "melty", which in my opinion is a good thing.  All in all, I'm pleased with my purchase and it will be a one in one out situation as well.  I finished a Laura Mercier lipstick.  I'm glad I was able to replace it with a drugstore item.

I have only two tinted balms to finish before I can buy a new one.  The Oh Sugar balm is the one I am going to try.  What color did you get?  Is it sheer or a little bit heavier than sheer?

Paws and enjoy life.
Trusted Contributor

This morning, I threw away two lip glosses.  The colors made my lips look frosted.  I tried them over lipsticks, but they weren't any better.  When I pulled out one of the glosses, a hair was attached to it.  (My lip colors sorted by shade and in separate containers.)  I decided to clean the containers.  Well, there were three dead weevils and a dead ladybug in two of the containers.  Gross, gross, gross!!  They were tiny, but still.  Bugs!  Blech!!

Paws and enjoy life.
Honored Contributor

@dosey wrote:

This morning, I threw away two lip glosses.  The colors made my lips look frosted.  I tried them over lipsticks, but they weren't any better.  When I pulled out one of the glosses, a hair was attached to it.  (My lip colors sorted by shade and in separate containers.)  I decided to clean the containers.  Well, there were three dead weevils and a dead ladybug in two of the containers.  Gross, gross, gross!!  They were tiny, but still.  Bugs!  Blech!!

I get concerned when the bugs don't want to get into what I'm putting on or in my body.  Just makes me wonder what in the world is in the stuff that even the bugs are afraid of it!

Trusted Contributor

@just bee wrote:

Just a reminder:

The bird cams are plentiful -- several eagle and owl nests to watch if you're looking for a new hobby.  There are already two eaglets in the Berry College nest (still waiting on the Hanover, PA nest).  Absolute weirdness in Italy, Texas with the barn owls.  There's a new owl in town and everyone's confused. 

Thank you for the reminder about the bird cams! I was late to the party last year watching them. It's quite amazing the stash of big fish the eagles have in their nest! It looks like at least 3-4 good sized fish! They are quite the expert fishermen!! Those fish are not tiny.

Trusted Contributor

It seems like everyone at work is going on a great Winter vacation to a tropical destination. I don't have anything booked and I think I'm feeling a case of the Winter blahs coming on. I know usually when I feel like that, it leads to mindless online shopping so I'm making a point of avoiding watching any shopping channels for the next few days. I don't need the temptation.

I'm currently trying to do 5 hours of overtime at work each week. Seeing the extra pay on the paychecks is really nice. I'm trying to build up a little cushion of cash since I have some routine maintenance coming due on my car. I would like to pay for it and not put on a credit card to pay off later. Curbing the fun shopping will help too - I've noticed the past couple months with less online shopping, my checking account is looking better!

I've fallen out of the habit of using up my food stash in my kitchen cabinets. This is on my agenda for rest of the month and leading into March. My goal will be to only buy needed fresh perishables like milk, fruit and fresh veggies.

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@Oshare-girl wrote:

Wow, I was shocked to see that posts were removed from our friendly thread.  Well, I'll be sure to post only mundane beauty updates.  I didn't have a no-buy February.  I almost made it, just one more week...  I bought a Cover Girl Oh Sugar balm which is supposed to be a dupe for the Fresh Sugar balms.  It is very close but not as "melty", which in my opinion is a good thing.  All in all, I'm pleased with my purchase and it will be a one in one out situation as well.  I finished a Laura Mercier lipstick.  I'm glad I was able to replace it with a drugstore item.

Silly stuff.  But it looks like Community Spat -- er, Chat -- has been sanitized, too.

At least we're not the only subversives around here. 

I had a really good retort to this but it involved mentioning a "makeup's" name, so I didn't dare try to sneak it through. 

It is to laugh!

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@dosey wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@FindingMyJoy wrote:

Gosh I know it's been a while since I've been online, but didn't expect you all to go wild and crazy to get a bunch of posts removed!! Smiley Tongue

Dosey - I would have found your stories interesting. Glad you enjoyed the event!

Yes... clearly we're rebels.  Subversive types, discussing current events.  Not to worry -- I'm working on a code.  So, when we say "shoes" we mean "voters."  When we say "makeup" we mean "candidates."  When we say "facial cleanser" we mean "debates."
Dosey!  I hope you enjoyed the facial cleanser and were able to mix and mingle with the makeup... as a shoe.

I just browsed through the makeup.  I would have been too uncomfortable testing and playing with it.

Ar, ar, ar, ar, ar!

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@dosey wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

Geezerette,  don't let them drive you away.  If you need to do it for personal reasons that is different but unfortunately it is a more policed state around here.  This forum went from one extreme to another.  I even miss being able to share coupon codes too. 

Dosey, it is ashame they deleted the conversation.  It wasn't even political, it was just a description of the events.  I enjoyed reading about it.  There were a few other posts deleted too but I think those were by accident.  

Findingmyjoy, yes, phew,  good thing for a little leeway in deciding and being able to press the cancel button.  Yesterday, I ordered a couple of combs and they warned that once you press submit, you can't cancel the order so I crossed my fingers and am hoping for the best. 

I agree.  There was nothing overtly political and there was nothing derogatory.  The comment under the photo was not even an opinion -- it was pure fact.  I watched the moisturizer twice ("moisturizer" means "funeral mass") and was amazed by the shampoo ("shampoo" means "Paul S.").

Yes, the moisturizer was lovely.  I could not have done what the shampoo did.  I would have been a sudsy mess.

Absolutely!

Honored Contributor

@dosey wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:
  There were a few other posts deleted too but I think those were by accident.  

No kidding.  There was a whole discussion of using jojoba and castor oil as hair conditioner.  Where did that go?  

Oops.  Did I say castor?

Mmmm, giiirrrrrll!  You are going to get banned.

You're killin' me!