Respected Contributor

Re: ComPact 2016 -- February

[ Edited ]

My resolution so far is going pretty good.  No mu or skincare purchases for two months now.  Not even an eyeliner.  Really a first for me.  I almost failed but I couldn't get a coupon code to work on one site so I left it and when I went back I changed my mind on the items so I was thankful.  

My use up isn't going so good.  I have finished a few skincare items but I am not using mu everyday like I want to so I can use some of it up.  I really love mu but I barely use it, it is the oddest thing.  I don't understand why I have a urge to keep buying it. 

I have bought a few gadgets that are beauty related and I am deciding whether to count them against my beauty budget for the year because they were not necessities. I have no remorse in buying them but I don't want to rationalize the purchases either.  It is a slippery slope for me when I start doing that. 

Grocery front, not so good. This a work in progress for me but I am not giving up. 

But all in all, no purchases for skincare and mu and I am thankful. I am overwhelmed as it is.  I could probably go the year+ with no purchases and I would be just fine. I have too much. 

And btw, I am done with paper thin clothing.  I was wearing a shirt I loved this week and by midday, it looked awful.  So stretched out. I was disgusted. 

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

February was a great ComPacting month.

We donated quite a few items to Goodwill (DVD player w/remote and a laundry hamper filled with clothes, hangers, and kitchen items). 

Now for the stockpiles: I did purchase 2 CeraVe items, but I caught a BOGO 50% deal and had 2 coupons for $4 off on each. Smiley Wink I used up or tossed 8 body products and 17 facial products,  and used up 1 jar candle and 3 votives. 

Oh yes, I also got rid of a half dozen or so partially used fragrances.

Amazingly, I'm still following Declutter 365. We're just finishing up in the kitchen and moving to the laundry room tomorrow.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have not learned Spanish, how to make bread, or how to make a great spaghetti sauce, so my resolutions haven't been touched.  I am not giving up.  There are ten months remaining in the year.

My ComPacting goals are going really well.  I haven't bought anything that I did not need in the way of cosmetics and skin care.  While watching Sigrid Olsen on HSN, I ordered four pairs of ankle pants.  New spring/summer pants have been on my want list for a very long time.  I hope they fit.  I also ordered AL's TS - the multivitamins - which I have been taking for a few years.

I am going to make some beauty purchases, soon.  I am going to buy mascara and a lotion that I read about on this board that does a good job removing spots.  I have a few on my legs and arms that I would like to remove.  Spring is just around the corner, so I want to get started on this "project".

Yesterday, the kids and I went to Wal-Mart to look for eyeglasses.  The kids wanted that new look (big, dark frames), and my glasses are so old they are nearly useless.  They found what they wanted immediately, but I couldn't make up my mind and decided to check out Costco.  So today, DD and I went to Costco.  I think Wal-Mart has a slightly larger selection and better prices.  Because I wear contacts most of the time, I do not want to put a lot of money into a pair, but I want to like them.  I tried on several pairs.  I swear to you that I look like a bug wearing those gigantic dark frames.  DD wanted me to get those, but I refused.  Besides, those are going to be out-of-style in a flash.  I have the hardest time finding glasses that I like.  The stores do not make it any easier by placing stickers on the center of the lenses.  I can't see anything!  DD helped me by laughing when a pair looked bad.  Once, she had to turn away because she thought the pair was so funny.  I think I found a pair.  The frames are $70.  DD remembers a pair that are very similar to them at Wal-Mart, so I'll return to Wal-Mart tomorrow.  I really want to spend $50 or less on the frames, and if I buy them at Wal-Mart within a week of buying the kids' glasses, I get an additional 20% off.  This is what I do with my spare time - drive back and forth between stores, wasting gas, looking for the better deal.

Finally, I made it through the Isomers visit without making a purchase.  Yay me!  I am holding out for a C Stem kit.

Paws and enjoy life.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@aprilskies wrote:

My resolution so far is going pretty good.  No mu or skincare purchases for two months now.  Not even an eyeliner.  Really a first for me.  I almost failed but I couldn't get a coupon code to work on one site so I left it and when I went back I changed my mind on the items so I was thankful.  

My use up isn't going so good.  I have finished a few skincare items but I am not using mu everyday like I want to so I can use some of it up.  I really love mu but I barely use it, it is the oddest thing.  I don't understand why I have a urge to keep buying it. 

I have bought a few gadgets that are beauty related and I am deciding whether to count them against my beauty budget for the year because they were not necessities. I have no remorse in buying them but I don't want to rationalize the purchases either.  It is a slippery slope for me when I start doing that. 

Grocery front, not so good. This a work in progress for me but I am not giving up. 

But all in all, no purchases for skincare and mu and I am thankful. I am overwhelmed as it is.  I could probably go the year+ with no purchases and I would be just fine. I have too much. 

And btw, I am done with paper thin clothing.  I was wearing a shirt I loved this week and by midday, it looked awful.  So stretched out. I was disgusted. 

That's one way to ComPact.  To get so ticked off that you just stop purchasing specific items.  I'm tired of disposable socks.  I remember when I had pairs of socks that lasted years and now they self-destruct after a wash cycle.  I broke down and bought some at Costco and had very low expectations.  A coworker buys hers online (Happy Socks) but I can't bring myself to pay that much for a single pair of socks.  I bought the pack of socks at Costco instead, then realized that six pairs for $8.99 wasn't bad (told ya I'm getting cheap).  These socks have brought a little joy to my life.  They feel great, wash and wear well, and they make me want to wear them with different shoes.  One pair is black and grey argyle with a bright berry thread -- and that perfectly matches a pair of berry Alegrias that were sitting in a box unworn.  A small investment that has worked out well.  My resolution was to wear a different pair of Alegrias to work each day and I've started mixing it up.  Different shoes have made me pull different shirts out of the closet that haven't been worn -- in ages.

The bad part?  I've been wearing the Pescas and am enjoying them so much that I caved and bought the two sale pairs that I'd been avoiding for months!  But, as it turns out, I can stop feeling guilty.  The colors are unique and not what I'd expected.  The metallic bronze is not the same color as a pair of clogs I already own.  I can only describe it as "Godzilla."  The coolest color I've seen in some time and it's more wearable than I thought it would be.  The pewter has an odd aurora borealis quality -- the color changes in the light.  Didn't need them, but I'll use them.  That's one issue with ordering Alegrias online: The colors aren't always the same as the photo.  Open the box and sometimes you get a surprise.

I keep seeing the new QVC ad (on TV) for C. Wonder items and that pair of bee slippers.  I searched online for bee shoes and found quite a few pairs out there -- pairs that cost hundreds of dollars.  When I looked at the price of one pair of shoes compared to the sale Alegrias, I went ahead and ordered the Alegrias.  I've resisted buying Alegrias with dogs, owls and elephants (and it was hard), but I wonder if I could resist bees...

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@Eager2Learn wrote:

February was a great ComPacting month.

We donated quite a few items to Goodwill (DVD player w/remote and a laundry hamper filled with clothes, hangers, and kitchen items). 

Now for the stockpiles: I did purchase 2 CeraVe items, but I caught a BOGO 50% deal and had 2 coupons for $4 off on each. Smiley Wink I used up or tossed 8 body products and 17 facial products,  and used up 1 jar candle and 3 votives. 

Oh yes, I also got rid of a half dozen or so partially used fragrances.

Amazingly, I'm still following Declutter 365. We're just finishing up in the kitchen and moving to the laundry room tomorrow.

@I think I'm going to have to check out Declutter 365!  You should be going into March feeling pretty @#$%^&* good!  (I'm sick with jealousy, can you tell?)

Well, this is certainly inspiration to do some spring cleaning.  Or should I say purging?

This is impressive!  Well done!

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@dosey wrote:

I have not learned Spanish, how to make bread, or how to make a great spaghetti sauce, so my resolutions haven't been touched.  I am not giving up.  There are ten months remaining in the year.

My ComPacting goals are going really well.  I haven't bought anything that I did not need in the way of cosmetics and skin care.  While watching Sigrid Olsen on HSN, I ordered four pairs of ankle pants.  New spring/summer pants have been on my want list for a very long time.  I hope they fit.  I also ordered AL's TS - the multivitamins - which I have been taking for a few years.

I am going to make some beauty purchases, soon.  I am going to buy mascara and a lotion that I read about on this board that does a good job removing spots.  I have a few on my legs and arms that I would like to remove.  Spring is just around the corner, so I want to get started on this "project".

Yesterday, the kids and I went to Wal-Mart to look for eyeglasses.  The kids wanted that new look (big, dark frames), and my glasses are so old they are nearly useless.  They found what they wanted immediately, but I couldn't make up my mind and decided to check out Costco.  So today, DD and I went to Costco.  I think Wal-Mart has a slightly larger selection and better prices.  Because I wear contacts most of the time, I do not want to put a lot of money into a pair, but I want to like them.  I tried on several pairs.  I swear to you that I look like a bug wearing those gigantic dark frames.  DD wanted me to get those, but I refused.  Besides, those are going to be out-of-style in a flash.  I have the hardest time finding glasses that I like.  The stores do not make it any easier by placing stickers on the center of the lenses.  I can't see anything!  DD helped me by laughing when a pair looked bad.  Once, she had to turn away because she thought the pair was so funny.  I think I found a pair.  The frames are $70.  DD remembers a pair that are very similar to them at Wal-Mart, so I'll return to Wal-Mart tomorrow.  I really want to spend $50 or less on the frames, and if I buy them at Wal-Mart within a week of buying the kids' glasses, I get an additional 20% off.  This is what I do with my spare time - drive back and forth between stores, wasting gas, looking for the better deal.

Finally, I made it through the Isomers visit without making a purchase.  Yay me!  I am holding out for a C Stem kit.

Making a great pasta sauce is no easy feat.  My mother's sauce was the best and she never shared her secret.  We could always tell what her mood was based on her sauce.  Better-half makes a killer chili that reminds me so much of her sauce that it scratches that _tch. 

How do you feel about sausage and peppers?  We like to cook up both mild and hot Italian links with bell peppers of every color.  We slice the peppers lengthwise -- not too thick, not too thin -- then pile the sausage and peppers on good bread.  Leftovers are good with eggs (scramble it all together) or you can use the sausage and peppers as a base for your sauce.  Better-half and I have become fans of San Marzano tomatoes.  I recommend them if you're using canned tomatoes.  But a simple sauce with all those peppers and sausages is noms.

I just mentioned sauce and Better-half sent me a link for a very basic sauce made with San Marzanos.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/09/the-best-slow-cooked-italian-american-tomato-sauce-red-sa...

I generally don't care for marinara -- I prefer a heavier meat sauce with pork or a combination of beef and pork.  I prefer a heavier sauce because I like a substantial noodle.  I rarely eat spaghetti.  Linguine for me!  Lots of pasta shapes out there to play with.  Start gathering your ingredients!

ETA:

Forgot to mention frames.  That's why I've put off looking at them.  I wore enough of the huge frames in the 80s so I have no desire to go out and buy more.  I'm talkin' HUGE.  In every color.  I was quite the spectacle.