Honored Contributor

The ComPact is a commitment to simplify, pare down, streamline. It began as a way to gain some control over our collections of beauty products. Why were we amassing so much, yet not using what we were buying? Why were we always searching for the next new product? Why couldn't we just find what worked for us and stick with it?
The ComPact, however, is not restricted to beauty items. If you have a collection you want to address, do it here. Choose an area you want to work on, and track your progress on the ComPact thread. Members will offer tips and encouragement.
Choose one of our many mantras (“One by one until they’re done!” “We are SPAHHHRRRTAN!!!” “Not until you really have to.” “Buy less, choose well, make it last.” “Resist the propaganda.” "If it's high, I don't buy!" “When in doubt, do without!” “Start where you are, use what you have, do what you can.” “Shoplighters of the World Unite!”) or create a new one and share it. Target items each month to toss, donate, or use, and post your “chopping block” -- or “hit list.” Post temptations, post victories.
They say it takes 30 days for something to become a habit: Let's see if taking the ComPact one month at a time works for you.
Join us.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

Re: ComPact 2016 -- February

So... learn anything from January?  I actually had a successful no-buy month.  Anything purchased was a necessity (two appliances) and I passed on other necessities (socks).  I think February will be the month to concentrate on car and yard maintenance.

I'm getting really good at anticipating what items will be discounted in Costco's coupon book.  The items I need are on sale this month.  Again, necessities like deodorant and shampoo.

I've been thinking that I need a new pair of jeans, but have wanted to replace jeans with cargo pants.  I thought I'd check out what's in my closets and I have  some options.  Leggings aplenty.  Why not wear these?  Dresses.  Long ones, short ones.  All can be worn with leggings. 

Big expense: I'm thinking it's time to start looking at new spectacles.  No hurry, though.  I don't want to rush into buying a frame I don't really like.  But it's time to start browsing.

I'm stocked up on tea and toiletries -- don't need a thing other than deodorant and shampoo.

I'm going to watch caucus coverage and eat pasta.  My dance card is filled.  Tomorrow is Senior Day at Walgreens so I can stock hard candy for work.

Yesterday was like spring; according to Accuweather, it should start raining in 54 minutes and then snow tomorrow.  We'll see.  A good day to stay in and watch the caucus,  And drink beer.

Flip your calendars! Another chance to begin again.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

I tried to do a NoBuy during January, did rather well.  Didn't to the Christmas or NY sales.  Bought a couple of things but probably under $50.

Honored Contributor

@justbee

according to your post, you are a Costco shopper. Have you looked at their glasses? 

I got my last pair there, while they don't have the selection that my optician does, the cost is certainly worth it.  I found that the high index lenses were exactly the same and less than 1/2 the cost.  there is also a deal in the new book.  I went back to contacts so my need to have a super on trend frame was not as important.

Respected Contributor

My January was pretty successful, no beauty purchases at all, not even small ones.  I warded off several impulse buys. I am continuing the same for February.  

Honored Contributor

@jackthebear wrote:

@justbee

according to your post, you are a Costco shopper. Have you looked at their glasses? 

I got my last pair there, while they don't have the selection that my optician does, the cost is certainly worth it.  I found that the high index lenses were exactly the same and less than 1/2 the cost.  there is also a deal in the new book.  I went back to contacts so my need to have a super on trend frame was not as important.

A few of my coworkers have bought their glasses there and have been happy with them.  Cost is a factor: My eye doctor's frames and services have always been steep.  My vision insurance helps, but I miss the days when I could buy a couple pairs at a time at less expensive shops.  I stick with her because I've never had a bad prescription.  (Knock wood.)  In California a person could get a prescription from the eye doctor and then go wherever they wanted to shop for glasses.  That wasn't the case when I moved here.  Just recently I was able to get my prescription handed to me for the first time.  Yes, New Mexico is a state.  A weird one.

Valued Contributor

January turned out better than I thought.

Regarding my stockpiles: though I had 13 items come in, I had 24 go out.  Some items were used up and some were tossed (eyeliner, eyeshadow, face cream from 2008) etc. New month, new chance to stem the "incoming" tide. 

I'm still following Declutter 365 FB group (except for last Friday when I had minor surgery, and Saturday when was taking it easy). I plan on sticking with that group as well. Cat Happy

Trusted Contributor

I don't post often but do keep up on reading all the posts--they help keep me on track!  I have been doing so much better than, say, 18 months ago.  I can't remember the last time I have stockpiled anything, and that used to be a regular occurrence for me!  I don't have a huge stash, compared to some, but I am using up what I have before purchasing replacements just because there is a sale.  I am writing opening dates on the bottom of some products (thanks @just bee) and most times realize I can let one sale pass and wait for the next sale before replenishing.  

I am also streamlining products. Do I really need to layer seven products on my face every night?  I decided I don't. I am enjoying having fewer products/less stuff. It brings me peace. Who would have thought ?? 😮

Before I buy, I now ask:  1) do I want it? 2) do I need it? 3) will I use it? 4) can I afford it?  Seems pretty basic, but before ComPacting, I only had to answer yes to the first question, rather than all four.  This is especially helpful now with two kids in college and an engaged daughter. 😳

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."--Eleanor Roosevelt
Trusted Contributor

It's February already??

January was a good month for me.  What I find really surprising is that this time the no-buy was easy.  Today, I received a Sephora advertisement for only lip products.  Usually, this would be a huge temptation but not this time.  I threw it away without any regrets.

With the exception of Joy's readers TS on HSN, anything I bought for myself (which was very little) was only to replace empties.  I did cave today while watching the Linea program.  He had a super cute hoodie that I ordered in blue.  My order is on waitlist, because the Linea ladies are very quick.  I saw some other things that I liked, but they did not fit into my lifestyle, so I did not order them.  {{Big thumbs up to my rational thought}}

So I have the Korres body butters and the readers to look forward to receiving.  I am planning on buying a new hair product in February, and that will be it.

Since our FSA is loaded, I am going to update my eyeglasses, as well as my kids'.  Because we wear contact lenses, our eyeglasses are used as backups (mainly at home).  So for the first time, I am going to buy less expensive eyeglasses at Wal-Mart, Costco, etc, and use our insurance benefit for our contact lenses.  (Insurance only pays for one, not both.)  My eye doctor gave us our prescriptions.  He doesn't have a problem with this.  He has been my eye doctor for about 25 years and is very nice.  During my kids' growth spurts, he examined their eyes twice in a year because their vision changed, and he did not charge me anything.  He also knows that he does not carry a large selection of frames and doesn't have those big things the kids are wearing.

I am really tired and would love to watch the news from Iowa, but I think a good night's sleep will serve me better.

Paws and enjoy life.
Trusted Contributor

@Eager2Learn wrote:

January turned out better than I thought.

Regarding my stockpiles: though I had 13 items come in, I had 24 go out.  Some items were used up and some were tossed (eyeliner, eyeshadow, face cream from 2008) etc. New month, new chance to stem the "incoming" tide. 

I'm still following Declutter 365 FB group (except for last Friday when I had minor surgery, and Saturday when was taking it easy). I plan on sticking with that group as well. Cat Happy

Hope you are feeling better!

Paws and enjoy life.