Esteemed Contributor

Re: Cod-Liver Oil or Castor Oil

I think we had the same Pediatrician....LOL

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]
Grandmother, Yes, Cod liver oil. She also gave me ex-lax!!!! To this day! Not able to eat square little dark chocolates. In her defence-Model from Montreal, She wanted me marry rich, Jewish Doctor. Nanny would also weigh me, This was long before eating disorders or body image issues awareness, For how much society has learned, Problem still exists. Grandmother myself, Can't imagine! Doing the same to my sweet beautiful Klo. Belive living healthy inside and out. Not obsessed with body weight or growing older.💃
Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Taking either of these oils orally would be a fate worse than death.  Horrible tasting, both of them.

LOL - I have to agree but I guess desperation will make you do crazy things!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

Taking either of these oils orally would be a fate worse than death.  Horrible tasting, both of them.

@Kachina624, You are so right, when I was a child , my Pediatrician recommended cod liver oil, to " build me up ". After all of this time I remember how foul it was.

@QVCkitty1  Same Here!  I think there was a whole generation of us that were raised on that nasty stuff.  I wonder Why?  I can still taste it.

I always order the flavored Cod Liver Oil which keeps my bowels running smoothly. 

Respected Contributor

@HiLo, how much do you take each day?

Trusted Contributor

On spot today for your topic, before I left Houston, I love that wonderful city...........I stopped in a small drug store and purchased Pastillas McCoy's Cod/Fish liver oil extract tablets..........100 in the box and you take two at night.  They are a pretty pink. I for some reason thought this would be good to have and take each night. I don't know what to expect but I am going to see what happens.  Has anyone taken this orally? 

Regular Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

The key for oils is to put ON your body, not in.

If you want good skin, increase the amount of vegetables*,

especially leafy greens.   The darker the better.

*increased vegetables is one of many dietary different

ways to increase the luminosity, texture & tone of your skin. 

Totally agree that healthy diet includes dark leafy veggies. But the biggest diet misconception out there is that fat is "bad". The brain is 60% fat and needs fat to function properly. EFA's as well as DHA and saturated fats all benefit the body in moderation. Flax seed oil, coconut oil castor oil if you prefer and many others are very good for you both on your skin and taken internally. Recent studies in Europe are actually showing animal fats are much healthier than previously supposed. The body needs a wide variety of well cultivated, nonGMO foods that are not irradiated or completely chemical laden. The key to weight control is portion size and exercise. Your skin will glow and will need less external moisture if fed properly.

Valued Contributor

During the 50's, the scare of polio was everywhere - cod liver oil was suggested as a deterent and all the kids I knew were given a spoonful each morning.

My mother would take out the oil and a tablespoon and give it to us in order of birth - my brother was older so he got it first.

Then along came the Salk vaccine and the oil was finally retired.  Haven't taken it since.

But, if in fact it is good for your skin, I will perhaps try it out.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gfpdem wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

The key for oils is to put ON your body, not in.

If you want good skin, increase the amount of vegetables*,

especially leafy greens.   The darker the better.

*increased vegetables is one of many dietary different

ways to increase the luminosity, texture & tone of your skin. 

But the biggest diet misconception out there is that fat is "bad".

The brain is 60% fat and needs fat to function properly. 

Eating fat will not fuel the brain.

Man could live a very long, healthy time without any overt fats.

We don't NEED additional fats in our diet.

Overt fats do not provide glucose.

Overt fats do not provide oxygenated blood.

"Even though the brain is composed of 60% fat,

it is designed to be fueled by glucose.

The brain accounts for 25% of the total body glucose utilization.

Glucose is the human body’s key source of energy.

The breakdown of carbohydrates (eg: starch) yields mono- and disaccharides, most of which is glucose."

Respected Contributor

I believe GOOD OLD BASIC FOUR. We need it all!! Fats, carbs, proteins...moderation is the key! I never put Forbidden labels on any food. I also believe MEGA DOSING on supplements or omitting certain foods is hard on body, especially kidneys. I eat whatever I feel like having...ALL WITHIN MODERATION. If I don't get enough nutrient enriched foods for a few days, I make sure I get right back to the Good old basic four...and keep it clean. Drink plenty of plain water too...and enjoy it all...remember...moderation. you'll never be tempted if you don't put those forbidden labels on.