Regular Contributor

Re: Cod-Liver Oil or Castor Oil

@sidsmom wrote:

@gfpdem wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

The key for oils is to put ON your body, not in.

If you want good skin, increase the amount of vegetables*,

especially leafy greens.   The darker the better.

*increased vegetables is one of many dietary different

ways to increase the luminosity, texture & tone of your skin. 

But the biggest diet misconception out there is that fat is "bad".

The brain is 60% fat and needs fat to function properly. 

Eating fat will not fuel the brain.

Man could live a very long, healthy time without any overt fats.

We don't NEED additional fats in our diet.

Overt fats do not provide glucose.

Overt fats do not provide oxygenated blood.

"Even though the brain is composed of 60% fat,

it is designed to be fueled by glucose.

The brain accounts for 25% of the total body glucose utilization.

Glucose is the human body’s key source of energy.

The breakdown of carbohydrates (eg: starch) yields mono- and disaccharides, most of which is glucose."

Respectfully agree to disagree. The body is incredibly complex. Healthy fats are necessary for hormone production and increase the production of neurotransmitters that keep memory strong and stave off depression  in the brain among many other chemical reactions. Most Drs concur that EFA's are especially important to add to your diet as the body can't produce them. In this way, fats do fuel the brain. There is so much more to metabolism than providing glucose and oxygenating the blood. We just have different views and its wonderful we can eat what we want!

Regular Contributor

@Dazlin wrote:
I believe GOOD OLD BASIC FOUR. We need it all!! Fats, carbs, proteins...moderation is the key! I never put Forbidden labels on any food. I also believe MEGA DOSING on supplements or omitting certain foods is hard on body, especially kidneys. I eat whatever I feel like having...ALL WITHIN MODERATION. If I don't get enough nutrient enriched foods for a few days, I make sure I get right back to the Good old basic four...and keep it clean. Drink plenty of plain water too...and enjoy it all...remember...moderation. you'll never be tempted if you don't put those forbidden labels on.

Totally agree. Beautiful balance!

Esteemed Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

Taking either of these oils orally would be a fate worse than death.  Horrible tasting, both of them.

@Kachina624, You are so right, when I was a child , my Pediatrician recommended cod liver oil, to " build me up ". After all of this time I remember how foul it was.

@QVCkitty1 Me too!  In fact, my mouth kinda scrunched up just reading the words "castor oil."  Gag.  

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Esteemed Contributor

So where is everyone buying their castor oil?  My eyelashes could definitely use some help and I'm willing to try something natural like this. 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Montana wrote:

@HiLo, how much do you take each day?

I experimented with the Cod Liver oil at 1 Tablespoon a day at first but found that was too much for my system.  1 teaspoon a day did the trick.  My son only takes it for bathroom relief and it's worth buying if only for that..  We all need essential fats and this is one of the best; I order on line for the freshest; probably any brand is fine.

Valued Contributor

I buy castor oil at either Walmart or Meijers.  I use it every night on my face as I am very dry and it is also suposed to be good for fading sun spots.  I think it is working. The key is not to use a lot of the stuff, just enough.  I put a towel over my pillow though because I think it can stain. 

I remember the cod liver oil days...ugh. Never had to ingest castor oil.